Head-on shots and "the bunghole shot"--

Bunghole shot

I talk about this very question in each of my Hunter Education classes. This is what it boils down to.

1. Is it ethical? What is the cost to you personally for taking this shot?
2. What if you miss, ie. graze the hindquarter? Have you ever seen a wounded deer like this on your property? ( I live in a rural area with alot of ranchers kids )
3. Is it fair to the animal?
4. Is it sportsmanlike?

As for me and my classes, I'll keep teaching that this is an EXTREMELY poor shot that should be avoided at all costs.

I have had the opportunity (as with many of us)....many times. I have never taken such a shot - and NEVER will. I do not believe it to be ethical. I also do not need the meat so badly, as to take such a risky shot. Regardless of the animal involved, even a "world record"....or "once in a lifetime" buck....no butt-shots for me.

Hank is right I have actually tried it one time and it is worse than a gut shot I did it perfectly but I will never do it again cleaning a gut shot animal is no fun and it takes the fun out of the hunt :D :D :D

Irresponsible, Inhumane, Unwise, Unfair, Impatient, Unwise, Unethical... That's the bunghole shot to me and I won't take 'em. Feel good about my choice too though I've let ol' mossy horns slip away more than once over it...

And shooting at the spine/head over the back - great shot and well done untill you drift a little low. Then all those words above come home to roost again and ya feel like all that gunk ya gotta scoop out if you do make a recovery. :( But accidents do happen.

I agree with Yorec. It's unethical. On my recent elk hunt I was confronted with this exact situation, involving a very nice bull, and I chose not to shoot. I feel that if you just can't let that animal get away without "trying" a shot at it you shouldn't be hunting in the first place.

Bung Shot

I won't say that its right or wrong cause we each have to live with what we choose to do. I have seen some awful things done by people who don't even give it a thought. I won't shoot Does, small Bucks , or a butt shot . I've killed as many as 16 bucks in a season when I was young,but passed up 37 legal Bucks last year and didn't get the big one I was hunting either. I found it to be a great year anyway cause I knew I let them walk. Age and experience has taught me that turning back the big fish and letting the deer pass to hunt OLD RUTHERFORD T. HATRACK is better.I'm hunting RUTHERFORD T. now and the rut just started. Saw him 3 days ago on my neighbors property. Maybe this years the one. He's 24" inside and likes the ladies.Why he's as square as a box car. Bet he's 300 lbs and hooks trees as big as a basketball. LORDY WHAT A DEER. :) :) :) :) :)

Back