HD shotgun loads

I like the Fiocchi 00 buck LE load.

1150 FPS.....Nickle Plated

Take a Look.

http://youtu.be/u7yD4ts1ITE?list=UUWqZcFfnQZIImO4EnMBzCWQ
Have a few boxes of it, and I like the clear shell. Still prefer plain Jane lead shot though. The plated penetrates more, but that doesn't matter for HD. Not for me anyhow. I do however use it in the woods when I'm scouting game trails in case I run into a group of the feral hogs we have.

Everyone always assumes their first shot will be on target, despite being awakened in the middle of the night, everything is in the dark or in shadows, and of course there is no adrenalin rush. At least we are all used to shooting at quickly moving targets with no regard to their ability to fire back at us.

I should have added the deafening sound of that first shot without ear protection and in the silence of the night inside a structure.

Last edited:
I like the way #1 buck patterns in my shotguns, and my understanding is that #1 is arguably the best balance between pellet size and quantity.

00 Buck is easy to find, and I certainly wouldn't want to be shot with it.

I've switched to a pistol but I use to have my double barrel with 2 3/4 Federal 000. Recoil is not bad at all, about as much as a 12 gauge slug. I also sometimes had #4 buck 3 inch Winchester turkey loads.

Remington 3" 000 buck 10 pellet in my 11-87 police.

Like getting shot 10 times in the chest with a PPK every time I pull the trigger. Seven times, so 70 shots of .380 in the time it takes to pull trigger 7 times.

That's how I like to think of it.

I keep both tubes loaded with #1 buckshot in my 16 ga SxS Stevens with 5 more in a sleeve on the stock. I figure that'll work...:)

Said Coldly

Posts here indicate that just about any FactoryLoaded Buckshot shell will be more than adequate.
Remember, your foe is there armed and ready to kill you and yours!
Forget the side worries of over penetration, grouping and Birdshot!
You are in a Fire Fight to save your or your Familys lives! You want as uch punch as your Shotgun is capable of in order to put down your opponent and save your Family/Self. Why play with bird loads when deadly force is called for?
Birdshot dosen't spread at room ranges. Nedither does "00" Buck!
I load my 12 GA Pump with military 9 Ball and my 20GA SxS with 20 Ga, #3 Buckshot.
Get the best centered, fullest hit on your enemy and shoot more than once! Even though this a shotgun, a low shot count hit is possible.
End the fight if possible.
If not shoot well and get the family/self out of harms way.
If all you have is light loads, then shoot many times if possible to incapacitate/cripple your opponent. You MUST stop the agression aimed at you.

Get the best centered, fullest hit on your enemy and shoot more than once! Even though this a shotgun, a low shot count hit is possible.

Agreed!!!..

Unless the first round clearly puts him out of the fight. I'll give him a second pretty darn quickly after the first. Split times with my M1 and low recoil buckshot are fast enough that he prob wont have time to go down before the 2nd round is on its way. If 8 pellets is good,16 is better

If somehow that first round does the trick faster then i can get off the second, thats ok too

I use 2 3/4 inch 000 buck shot (It holds 8 BBs). I dont use 000 because I feel its better than 00 or #1. I use it because I know in a pinch I can reload my 357 magnums with 000 buck shot.

My HD shot gun also has a side saddle with lower recoil slugs on it. I use to load the last round as a slug but I changed my mind recently and just keep the slugs in the side saddle.

I used to use 00 for my 12 gauge but I've switched to #4 buckshot. I really like the pattern and it still seems to have good penetration.

I've had good luck with Royal Buck #4

I really like the PDX-1 round, patterns very nicely, gives a good sized spread of the buckshot in a perfect triangle every time with a decent sized slug in the middle. maybe I am just being a sucker for another gimmick, but on paper, it would seem effective if your keen to putting bullets where you want them to go. if your house is set up where collateral damage comes in to play, maybe not a great choice, because the spread can be pretty dramatic even at short distances.

Back