HD shotgun loads

Grunt96

For those of you who consider a shotgun to be the end all, be all, premier HD weapon of choice. What is your preferred home defense load?

Lots of different tactical 00 and slugs out there that have reasonable recoil and tight patterns.

I suppose some folks will argue for bird shot or small shot with the idea that it spreads to fill a room (not true). Or that it will have lower penetration of walls - which you should google.

If you do get a load - you need to shoot it for practice and pattern it.

I have quiet a few different defensive loads. Everything from rifles slugs, plated buck, plated buck and ball, pdx1 slug and a few buck, and plain Jane Remington express 2 3/4 lead buck and 3" magnum buck, oh and some 000 buck. I'm not one to consider birdshot for one second, and believe it's aptly labeled 'bird' shot for a good reason. Heck I even have some bean bags and pepper round for novelty reasons, but I prefer 00 Buck, and really love 3" buck with 15 pellets. I know the 3" isn't necessary, but coming out of an 18.5 " 870 police barrel that stuff just impresses the heck out of me when messing around shooting trees in the sticks and patterning on paper. Nothing give me confidence like 3" 00 Buck and while people complain about recoil I don't think it's just horrible. Maybe because I shoot buck and slugs a lot for fun. It does has some thump no doubt about it, but I know it's only going to be a one shot type deal with that load. The pattern is just awing, and covered a nice wide area when shooting from 20-30 yards. I know that doesn't matter at home, but 15 pellets just gives me a warm and fuzzy like nothing else.

I was wondering how many people would post that they also like the 3" shells. Probably not many for HD, and that's understandable.

As 49Willys stated a minimum of 8 rounds. ;) I would suggest something larger in size to # 4 shot.

We have had this discussion a few times in the past. You may want to research what others recommended.

I never understood staggering different shot sizes either.or worrying about recoil.I imagine shooting at a bad guy would take your mind completely off of recoil,probably wouldn't feel recoil from a 458 mag if saving yours or someone else's life.

As 49Willys stated a minimum of 8 rounds. ;) I would suggest something larger in size to # 4 shot.

We have had this discussion a few times in the past. You may want to research what others recommended.
I feel fine with 7, which is what my 870 holds. I mean how many shells of 3" 00 Buck am I really going to need? [emoji123]

Currently, my HD 12ga is loaded with five rounds of 2 3/4" 16-pellet #1 Buck with five rounds of 2 3/4" 1oz slugs in an elastic butt cuff. That being said, in a 12ga, I wouldn't feel uneasy about anything from #4 to 000 Buck in either a 2 3/4" or 3" shell nor just about any 2 3/4" or 3" rifled slug.

Sorry, guys you're all wet!

According to a trap range officer, in Florida, when I staged an A5 for use for hunting and let my daughter have a long arm, the best shot for HD in #8 shot.

Anything larger will penetrate inside walls and kill a cat in the other room.

We both did our best to stifle our snickers.

I left a box of AA Sporting clays loads of 7.5 shot for practice and three boxes of reduced recoil double 0, for HD.

I had replaced the recoil spring and firction pieces, and when I fired them it was a gentle push o my shoulder.

While approaching our minimum recommended penetration standard for an all around tactical shotgun load, this birdshot load (#1 tungsten matrix) just does not quite measure up. Consideration of this load should be limited to an application where an engagement is guaranteed to be very close range and overpenetration is a significant and unacceptable risk. In mitigating these risks it is important to recognize that birdshot loads are significantly handicapped as compared to buckshot loads in their capacity to create the deep permanent cavities required to damage either cardiovascular or CNS structures.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/02/robert-farago/shotgun-penetration-with-various-rounds/

More specifically, on the use of #8 bidshot the same tester disagreed with the wisdom of that Florida range officer.

Small sized birdshot such as this #8 heavy dove load is a poor choice for deployment with a tactical shotgun. Wounds inflicted from birdshot tend to be gruesome yet shallow as they lack the penetration required to reach vital cardiovascular or central nervous system structures.

Remington markets a tungsten matrix load that comes in either copper plated tungsten matrix BB's or a combination of #2 and #4 tungsten matrix birdshot as Remington Ultra Home Defense (or something like that). The BB is supposedly best suited for a house and the other for an apartment.

I am not persuaded if I like the Remington Ultra HD better or Federal Personal Defense with Flite Control. After my son left for University and I was less concerned with over penetration, I replaced my Ultra HD tungsten BB with the Federal Flite Control. The conundrum with loads less likely to over penetrate drywall is that they aren't that likely to sufficiently penetrate a human target so as to instantly end a threat - especially if that target is wearing heavy clothing.

A recognized expert on firearms, Massad Ayoob, has a solution to the penetration problem, which is to place shelves full of heavy books on the other side of a wall.

Ayoob also points out that in some instances one might need to shoot through a wall in order to hit a threat on the other side.

Do not confuse #1 buck shot with #1 bird shot. the former is nearly twice the size of the later.

You may want to look at this maniac's thread.

Last edited:
I guess im just traditional 12ga. 00, 5 in the mag. 1 in the chamber and 6 in the specter gear on the butt stock that's at the range . at home its loaded down 1 to keep the magazine spring . chamber empty safety off. 3 00, 3 reduced recoil slugs . nothing fancy its just the ammo that is easiest to find on a budget every Wal-Mart has it so does mom and pop mart . :D

(9) 12g 3" 10 pellet 000 buck. I have lath and plaster interior walls and (3) layers of brick for all my exterior walls so my neighbors are safe and I live alone so I'm no too concerned about the next room.

-Robb

(9) 12g 3" 10 pellet 000 buck. I have lath and plaster interior walls and (3) layers of brick for all my exterior walls so my neighbors are safe and I live alone so I'm no too concerned about the next room.

-Robb
I watched a gel video with 000 buck, and that stuff is impressive. It did penetrate through a lot of gel too, and was absolutely obliterated. Brass Fetcher has a video on YouTube. Check it out.

-Robb

Sounds great given the lack of an over penetration problem, but might it generate so much recoil that time to follow up shots is increased?

Sounds great given the lack of an over penetration problem, but might it generate so much recoil that time to follow up shots is increased?
I've never fired 3" 000 buck, but I can image the recoil to be very stout. How does it compare to 00 Buck 3"? Guess I need to pick up a box to play out in the woods.

I think anything that takes a hit from one of those isn't going to need a follow up shot. I mean after all it just got hit 10 times simultaneously with .36 caliber balls. I understand recoil is stout, and while I haven't fired this load and am very happy with either 2 3/4 or 3" 00 Buck I think it's just a matter of trigger time. I stick with max so far of 00 Buck 3 inch and practice makes it reasonably easy to make follow up shots if need be. I just can't see any two legged creature needing more than 1 shell with either 3 inch 00 or 000 buck. It's a done deal, and even if you some how miss at HD ranges in home you should at least hit an extremity. A load like either of these will remove that. I'm sure that's plenty of time to rack another round and fire if need be.

Back