HD rifles

AR would be my choice if need to defend extended for a distance outside the four walls.

High capacity tactical shotguns like the Kel-Tec KSG would be my choice over an AR for close quarters.

Rifle, handgun, or shotgun, as long as the shooter trains with their weapon of choice...

Was it Clint Smith or somebody else who said the purpose of a handgun is to shoot your way to your rifle. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with a rifle for HD. I have a half dozen handguns secreted about my premises so I'm never more than a few feet from one if needed ( I live in a Red state - but it's a Blue county). Needless to say, I also have a rifle set up in my bedroom closet 3 feet from my bedside. it's an AK47 Underfolder fitted with a red dot, tactical flashlight and laser - all sighted in at 50 yards. With the stock folded, it is highly maneuverable, easily slinking around corners and from behind cover and with the flashlight and laser, I only have to 'illuminate' the target for a guaranteed hit or two. Or five. Or ten. Or thirty. Whatever. BTW, there's also a Remington 1100 right next to the AK47.

Shots placed can be more lethal or purposely less lethal depending on your encounter.

One correction here:

Heaven forbid that you ever have to use your firearm to protect your life. But if you do, know this well: There is NO such thing as less lethal when the guns come out. Every shot that is taken with the intent of stopping a threat is considered deadly force.

Back