Having issue with Arisaka safety

Eureka! After taking the bolt out and just trying to fit the safety knob in by hand I realized that even with the knob centered it wasn't sliding back into that slot. But, if I turned it a tad more it slipped down in. So, out came the dremel and off came a sliver of metal from the bolt stop and the stud on the safety knob, and now it slides in every time, and the bollt is locked in place just like it should be, with the rifle perfectly safe! Thanks so much everyone for their expert advice, and especially thanks to gunplummer for sharing your extensive knowledge of Arisakas with this Arisaka newbie.

As funny as it might sound, this rifle has been converted to 6.5x55 as well. A wonderful round. It's available here at the local cabelas on the shelf, but no way would I find 6.5 jap anywhere but online. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
There were two different twist rates in the 6.5's. I have to run 160 grain through my converted one to get any accuracy.

well I would probably take a trip over to gunparts corp website and see if they have a new safety knob and bolt body in stock(they usually do). I'd start with a new knob since I would think that would be the more likely part to wear out, then if the new knob does the same thing, replace the bolt body.

This is a old thread, however, I really benefited from the thread. I just finished with a type 38 Arisaka rifle and the safety needed adjusting to fit correctly. Glad to have found tis thanks everyone. :)

received_312896700612458.jpeg

received_262771478647581.jpeg

received_200728798687395.jpeg

Back