Haven't been to the range in months

I am somewhat fortunate as I started reloading years ago, and casting a couple of years ago. I also am into black powder and C&B revolvers. When things started getting bad, I bought a buttload of percussion caps. I still buy them when I see them. I also made a large powder and primer purchase in April of 2020, while I was deployed. Shipped to the house and sat in the garage waiting for me until August of last year. I don’t skip range trips if I want to go, but honestly I have stepped up other hobbies. Not just because of ammo shortages, but a number of reasons.

The joy of still being decent on ammo and components is I can take my kids to the range whenever they want to go, and I don’t have to ration them so much.

I bought 4 since this stinking pandemic thing started. Hadn’t shot them, because of slowly acquiring ammo (and a new caliber) and of course the heat here. Hopefully when you all are snowed in, I’ll be out there with them.

Ammo is back on shelves here in Tennessee, just not in the selection and quantities as before. Plenty of ammo online for sale if you can have it shipped to your home like here in TN,

I was wandering around the local Cabela's (Farmington UT) yesterday and they had several shelves of ammo. I saw 45 acp, 9mm, 38 sp, 22lr, 22 mag, 5.56, 270, and other stuff. I did not take any pictures figuring most of us know what a box of ammo looks like. I didn't need anything but picked up 2 boxes of 22 mag. I think they limited it to 250 rounds for each purchase. It seems to be getting better.
As for going to the range I go at least twice a month. I shoot some centerfire mostly a CCW gun then go to rimfire. I have bought a bunch of rimfire from CCI.COM.

I feel sorry for many of you. I've been reloading for 60 years. I retired and built a house out in the sticks of WI. I have a walk-out basement with gun/reloading room. For many years starting in 2004, every December I would buy about $300.00 worth of reloading supplies to build up my stock. I have a range in my back yard. My shooting bench has two wheels and a trailer hitch. I can move it with my 4whlr from 10 yards to 200 yards and shoot when ever I want. My backstop is 6X6X6' built out of 4" thick sawn lumber and filled with dirt. Every four or five years I rebuild the front and refill the dirt.

For all of my deer rifle calibers I keep a minimum of 200 loaded rounds at all times. For my varmint rifles I keep at a minimum 300 loaded rounds.

About 8 years ago, we had a .22 shortage. During that time I was shooting several .25-20 rifles. I cast my own bullets and reloaded them for .07 per round. I bought 4,000 gas checks and have about 700 left.

For .223. 9mm, .390 and .45 APC I maintain a 1,000 round reloaded reserve for each.

My son lives in IL, doesn't get this or reload. He has to go to indoor shooting ranges and scrounge for ammo. I shoot what I want, when I want. This is retirement life!

Last edited:
Mk70ss:

You might be aware of this-

Plenty of people are Afraid of ordering ammo online.
They seem to believe that any day now…an X-Files black helicopter will land near their home and secret agents will want to see their Legally-Purchased ammo hoard.

Or something similar. Not kidding.

Im a little bit acquainted with a guy who has read books about conspiracies (Masons , the “&&&&” etc), and wouldnt rule anything out.

Last edited:
To the posters #1 and #2 (and probably several others:

The situation of no ammo on shelves will still be the norm come 2024 and probably beyond.

Not to politicize but Covid restrictions/variations will also be as now, or worse..

My range takes the expended brass and reloads it. That way they have some inventory to sell to members.

Not sure where they're getting powder and primers these days.

Mk70ss:

You might be aware of this-

Plenty of people are Afraid of ordering ammo online.
They seem to believe that any day now…an X-Files black helicopter will land near their home and secret agents will want to see their Legally-Purchased ammo hoard.

Or something similar. Not kidding.

Im a little bit acquainted with a guy who has read books about conspiracies (Masons , the “&&&&” etc), and wouldnt rule anything out.
It won't be a black helicopter of van full of heavily armed Federales, it'll be one FBI intern and a pair of state troopers in a marked car who come by to enforce whatever new law or emergency order dealing with gun registration or bans and everyone who bought their gun legally will bow before the badge and hand over their guns without hesitation.

FUBAR

It is going to be bad in the next three years. Save your ammo you do have, buy as much as you can now. Look at the MESS all across the world and we are only into 7 months. I truly believe we will also have a Terror Attack soon. Covid shut downs coming again, and inflation just getting warmed up. I have even been stocking up on Pellet air rifle ammo.
I am not worried about Police coming to my door as they destroy the 2A. They will have their hands full,with a total population that is FUBAR.

I am seeing a lot more ammo in the shops and prices are not that bad. I am seeing 45acp for $31-$35 a box. Not the best price but at least I am seeing it. In the big box stores I am almost every caliber. I believe the worst is behind us.

Back