Haven't been to the range in months

vito

I almost cannot remember the last time I went to the range of the private pistol club that I am a member of. With the difficulty and high cost of ammo, I just don't want to use any of my scarce 9mm, 40S&W or 45acp punching hole in paper targets right now. But I think that I will be okay with using up some of my significant stash of 22LR so I plan on going this afternoon. This ammo shortage has sure been ongoing for a very long time now.

Yep. Posted a picture of the empty ammo shelves at one of my favorite stores that sells a lot of guns on Memorial Day 2020 and the shelves were STILL empty Memorial Day 2021. (Fleet Farm in the Twin Cities, Minnesota.)

My ranges visits have been similarly restricted. Heavy sigh.

the good thing about firearms & ammunition , it has a very long shelf life, it's not going to go bad, it will be there when you start going back to the range again, take a break and do some other hobbies for a change.

I haven't shot my pocket 9mm in over a year, I have only one mag load and I refuse to pay the price for what is essentially junk ammo from over seas. And you can forget about the good stuff here in the States.

It was really bugging me, so I bought a shotgun :D and roll my own without a reloading press. I can now go and come as I please. I'm making my own buckshot loads using steel slingshot ammo that will take your face off within 30 feet. Under .75 cents a round and if I get real creative I can keep it under .60 cents a round.

I was just at the range yesterday, second time in the past two weeks. The guy in the lane next to me had been there before I got there and I'm guessing he blew thru at least 100 rounds that day.

I shot mostly reloads in my revolvers. I do not understand why people are shooting so much because right now we need to CONSERVE the ammo we have. We're all thinking it's an absolute that availability and prices are going to be coming back soon and the reality is that nothing is a guarantee.

Now, don't take that to mean I think you should be paying a buck a round for factory ammo or 17 cents for a primer, but don't be wasteful and if you want to shoot a lot it may be time to invest in a black powder gun or an air gun.

Yeah, that's effectively what they have in the UK, but we're a nation in the middle of multiple crisis, shoot smart, not dumb.

I got lucky and had some cash in hand just before this last "shortage" hit. I bought reloading components and 20k rounds of .22LR SK Pistol Match before the insanity started. I didn't really predict it, just got lucky. I have cut back my range visits to 3 times a month instead of the usual 5 to 6. Still shoot the normal rounds per visit of ~150.

Yep. Posted a picture of the empty ammo shelves at one of my favorite stores that sells a lot of guns on Memorial Day 2020 and the shelves were STILL empty Memorial Day 2021. (Fleet Farm in the Twin Cities, Minnesota.)

I went to Fleet Farm in Lakeville last Fall during the height of the ammo shortage and the shelves were indeed bare. Scheels in Eden Prairie has slowly started increasing their supply recently , like .223/5.56, 9mm, 30-06 and a few other oddball rounds. I wished supply was more abundant at Scheels but it's better than it was last year. Prices still suck though and they still have the 100 limit (which is fine). I'll just buy online as the pricing is more competitive.

I'm in the same boat. It's been about 18 months since I've shot. However, I've been going to the range which is also a gun store to check it out. They've been getting in some ammo in .45 acp, and 9mm which I have been buying. There are people there that are shooting but they must be richer than me!

It has been a few months for me. I am going to go soon to test out a new pistol. At this point, I'm looking into buying some more reloading components if I can find them.

Rifle shooting is more available. There is plenty of 7.62x39 in my area and I like AKs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Still hitting the range and . . .

I'm still hitting the range 3 or 4 times a month. I take a variety of guns and only shoot a couple mags out of each. So the drain on the ammo closet has slowed down some.

Lifeisgood

Prof Young

Now I'm finding a new obstacle to going to the range besides the ammo situation. As I am aging the arthritis in my hands is getting worse, and the damage done to my right shoulder from a fall is approaching where I really need to go in for a shoulder replacement (but keep putting it off). I went to the range a few days ago, intending to shoot only my Mark IV 22lr pistol, and only bringing 100 rounds with me. I barely finished that amount, i.e., ten magazines full, before I could hardly keep the aim on target due to my shoulder and my hands.

Growing old is a bitch. But its still better than dying young.

I've cut back to twice a month, averaging 200 rounds a trip (unless my son or grandson accompany me). I learned about shortages the hard way back in the 90's with the AWB. Haven't been caught short since then by maintaining a good stock of components and lead. When this one passes and prices drop I'll rebuild my stockpile. I suggest that each of you do the same and prepare for "the next time".

I go to the range at least once each week. I look at my ammo storage and use variety to make a RANGE session. I shoot a lot of 22.cal. Will shoot 22.cal pistol one range session. 22.cal and some 9mm one range session and some sessions with 22,cal and 380. I also make a range session with Shotguns and Black Powder.
Summer is great for C02 air Pistols. I take full opportunity of honing Point and shoot skills with them at least three times a week.

Yeah the one benefit of all this is my range has much less people shooting now and the ones that are there aren't the weekend commando types . We have 6 ranges with 5 of them having 30 lanes each We rarely need them all open and weekends are only half full . Pre covid/Floyd/election there would be a waiting list to get a lane on weekends , not anymore , see a silver lining after all haha .

Great thing is I reload and post Sandy Hook taught me a lesson so I'm stocked up-ish and really have not shot any less . I have however changed what I shoot and when . I now cycle through different cartridges that use different components so not to use to much of any one type of component .

vito:

Is your main issue prices, or mostly a shortage? If availability is the primary issue, do you mean
A) in Local stores,
or B) online?

Online distributors - you probably realize - have had 9mm and many other chamberings for many months.

Even though many of us learned in advance of the 2008 election, and gradually stored a reserve, here's a trick which I seldom see people use: .

We know that some friends like to fill "normal capacity" AR and AKM mags to the max. capacity. Nobody is required to do so. ;)

Some of us put 5-7 rds.in our 20 or 30-rd. AKM or VZ-58 mags, and take 5 or 10 minute breaks between small groups of shots. You dudes all have smart phones? Or alternate rifle with some gradual handgun shooting.

If people take just 60-80 rds. of .223 or 7.62x39 to a club, why are they required to fill magazines and steadily blast away?

Last edited:
I haven't been to the range since before 1/2/20 when I was involved in a bad car wreck. Been waiting for the doctor to clear me to go shoot and the day after he did so I had a heart attack. I'm beginning to thing somebody flat out just doesn't want me shooting anything anymore. :eek: Either that or just a long run of bad luck.
Paul B.

I've been able to get ammo, often at painful prices, but found it. The range I go to reloads, and sells theirs to members and customers.

Personally, I wouldn't carry a gun I haven't fired recently.

I haven't been to the range since before 1/2/20 when I was involved in a bad car wreck. Been waiting for the doctor to clear me to go shoot and the day after he did so I had a heart attack.

Holy cow ! hang in there brother hope you're doing better now .

When Covid and riots hit in early 2020 my hording instinct locked me down hard. I haven't been to the range since.

I have my own range (100 yds) and pistol range (not fancy), and still haven’t been shooting. Had shoulder surgery and slight lack of enthusiasm. On the good side, the grandkids haven’t been shooting up all my reloads, so I’m stocked up on 380, 9mm, 38, 357, 223, 260, 270, and 220.

Before I hurt my shoulder, I had a big reloading session. What I had not planned on was the shoulder issue. Oh well…I’m healing…

Back