Have you "spent too much on guns"?

How much have you spent on "GUNS" in the last 10 years?

• Nothing

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • $500 or less

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • $500 - $2K

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • $2K - $10K

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • $10K - $25K

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • $25K or more

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters
The kids had shoes, everyone had enough to eat, the lights stayed on and nothing got repossessed. Beyond that its no one's business how much I spend or on what.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I chose the most expensive, because I also included the cost of my clay targets. Over the last 30 years or so, I have shot ~500,000 clay targets using several guns; when you factor in the shell and target costs, $25K is nothing.:D

I used to be fairly heavy into 35 mm photography. I was at a gathering and had my case open with a couple of high-end cameras and half a dozen good lenses visible, and someone commented that I had a lot of money tied up in camera gear. I replied, "Eh, it's cheaper than cocaine."

Unfortunately my wife was nearby, and without pause she said, "Not by much."

Kind of like that.

Might be time to remember the old gun buyer's prayer:

"Please (deity of your choice) don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them."

There's a famous radio commentator (now podcaster) here in the Twin Cities that cities the three prices you pay for almost any fun thing.

1. The price you paid.
2. The price you told your spouse you paid.
3. The price you'll pay when they find out what you really paid for the item.

Good luck.

If the podcaster interests you, you can find his work here:
https://garagelogic.com/

Have I spent too much on guns? Probably depends on who you ask. I have spent more than many, but less than what I could have. I have not deprived my family or lifestyle any by what I spent on guns, hunting and shooting. If I have given up anything because of the monies I spent on guns, it was monies destined for some other hobby or fun thing. Kinda why the majority of us work, so that we can enjoy the fruits of our labor.

I've spent my whole life for the past 12 years on guns. When I got laid off during the Obama recession I was unable to get hired back into my career field (too old and overqualified). I was making about $100K/yr when I got laid off, and I've been gunsmithing since then, so I guess you could say I've spent a million bucks on guns over the past 10 years.:o

I'm single. I only had one piece of furniture in my dining room: a boxcar-sized buffet that belonged to my mother. I sent it to a consignment shop in March. Moved my indoor workbenches into the dining room, along with all my ammo and supplies. Now I'm looking for a good way to attach my reloading press to a bench.

Not sure why anyone needs a dining room. My kitchen has room for three tables.

I don't answer to a significant other. I have a significant self.

buck460XVR post question:
Have I spent too much on guns?

I don't think I have spent too much.
The down side of my answer is that I passed on too many I now wish I had:
1) An all original pre-64 Win M70 in 375HH
2) A M96 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 with a #1 rated bore.
3) A custom pre-64 Win M70 in 300HH
4) An M1-A
5) Also an M1 Garand with the shorter barrel.
6) A pair of Rem Nylon 66s
7) 1903 A1 with the pistol grip stock - Looked original
Oh gosh I'm getting sad. There's more but have to stop.

(too old and overqualified)

I can see age in some situations, like not hiring someone 64 and a half to be a rookie cop/ firefighter, or some other job where the mandatory retirement age of 65, etc., but I've never been able to understand why, or how "Overqualified" is any reason to deny a job.

That just seems like the opposite of common sense to me.

Not sure the purpose of the poll, how a $ amount means anything, really.

Suppose I spent $10,000 in the last 10 years, and bought maybe 10 guns, maybe less. What's that supposed to mean? Suppose I spent $10,000 on guns 40 years ago, and bought 50 guns. SO I don't need to spend much today...:rolleyes:

And then there's the point of someone else deciding what is "too much". How does one do that? A fixed $ amount? A percentage of income? Seems to me its a flawed premise no matter what the parameters are. If I thought I was spending "too much" I wouldn't be spending it. IF you (or anyone) thinks I spent too much, I don't care.

I don't see how current or adjusted $ means a thing unless you peg it to your income /expnse ratio. If your family is missing meals, you are not making rent or utilities due to your expenditures then yes.. you are spending too much. If you are paying the bills then NO.

At this point me personally; I can drop over $2500 a year every year for the next 10 years and not blink. I could have also done it for the last 10 years. Without context this question is meaningless.

Does the context of the OP's question Also include the fact that many of us get much, or possibly most of our "buying cash" by selling guns and 3,000 rds. of seldom-used surplus ammo?

Or does he mean strictly cash spent?

The OP is intentionally vague to promote dialogue and not try to fence in / direct answers to a particular result...

I have bought an average of 2-3 guns per year, which has added up over the past 20 years. However, the question of spending “too much” is relative. Few if any of my guns are worth less than I paid for them, and many are worth more. Guns are my hobby. I’ve dropped a good deal of cash on them, but the contents of my safe have considerable value. That’s more than I can say for friends who spent an equal amount of money on club memberships, greens fees, and equipment to pursue their hobby of playing golf.

Back