Have you shot a .243 and a 7mm-08

How about just getting him a .308, it recoils like a baby, and is more powerful than the latter two, otherwise go for the 7mm-08.

How about just getting him a .308, it recoils like a baby

I disagree. The .308 ain't no 300 mag, but it doesn't recoil like a baby, either -- especially for a 9 year old kid.

The .243 has a very soft recoil, with plenty of power to kill a deer. Which is why it is a great caliber for a 9 year old (or older!).

I really like my 243's and have killed a fair share of white tails with them. I also like the 7MM 08 and have killed a few white tails with them also. I would really buy a Remington Model 7 in 260 for my son if he were 9 again. A bit beefer in bullet weights can be had than with the 243 and can handle many of the same bullet weights as the 7mm 08. The recoil is an in between thing. Might add a tiny bit of weight in the stock to help with the recoil also. If you have the bucks Mag in port it andf it will feel like a 22LR.

:D Al

H&R Rifles 243win

H&R makes a grate little 243 that is only $250 you could cut off the stock and replace it later when he gets older plus you can get a secound barrle in a differnt caliber.

I have one and it makes a good varmet and deer rifle, after lapping the barrle it makes .5" groops at 100 yards.

Have a look they come in a lot of differnt cartrages:D
http://www.hr1871.com/

ps. H&R is made by New England Firearms who also own Savage

Bigred: I have a 243 in the "handi rifle" that I have been needing to get rid of now for 5 years. Laminate stock, blue barrel. The thing I like about the handi rifle is that you can look over at your kid and immediately tell if the rifle is on safe. (Exposed hammer) When I was being taught how to handle firearms, I can't tell you how many times my dad would ask "Is that gun on safe?" Another benifit of the single shot is teaching shot placement. When you've only got one shot, you learn to place the shots. (This still is true for me quail hunting, if I have a pump or a semi, I never seem to hit on the first shot!?)

If your intrested, leave me a PM and we'll cuss and discus it.

Later tatter

.243 vs 30-06

I have two boys, 14 (85lbs) and 13 (130lbs) they both have .22s and shotguns, and they have both fired my 30-30, SKS and .243. We are buying their first deer rifles and I let them select the round. The 13 yr. old selected the 30-06 because he believes he could grow into it and use it to hunt almost anything in North America, the 14 yr. old selected the 270 with much the same reasoning but he felt because he is smaller that the lighter recoil was a big plus. This is with the underrstanding that we will use reduced loads (Hodgdon Youth Loads) at first and pick up the power as they grow into it. My big fear with them is inducing a flinch that will be hard to grow out of. They made their selections after spending a lot of time looking in the ballistic tables and recoil charts mentioned earlier.

Got my kid a hk 770 2nd hand 308 .Its well ballanced and light for a semi ,semi's have way less kick,308 is lethal and if he happens to wound the beast well....... once the smoke clears there's not a long walk to find it.

How about the 260 rem

Split the difference some people think the 243 to small for deer although many a deer have fallen to this round. The 7mm might be a little to much recoil. I recommend a 260 to my buddy for his son and he loves it. It fires bullets in 120 to 140 gr with less recoil than the 7mm.

NEF makes a youth model with a short stock and a 20" barrel in 243 i got one for my kids about 2 yrs ago they have not taken a deer with it but i have i love it it's a great truck gun. I wouldn't be scared to let him use a 243 just make sure to give him alot of range time talk about shot placement that is the key. Mine likes the 85 gr. hollow point better.

Attachments

• shot 011.jpg
    shot 011.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 22
IMHO .7mm 08 seems to kick a bit more but has less blast than the .243.

I must say I have never been a fan of the .243- although a lot of people whose judgement I respect do. I am however a big fan of the 7 mil.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/80670304101.html
This would do, but I think but lenght of pull may be a issue. It would be ideal to find a good rifle your son can grow into and enjoy for a life time. Maybe this rifle would have a cheap replacement stock that can be cut to fit. And like Art said add thicker pad to adjust for length, then when he's grown he has a original new stock.

Both will work. Also, try a wearable recoil shield.

Both of those cartridges will work for your intended purpose. However, to help cut down on possible flinching, have your kid wear a magnum thickness wearable recoil shield on the shooting shoulder. Firing from the bench for practice will be when recoil is the worst due to how the body is in relation to the firearm. Using the recoil shield will prevent flinching during practice. During hunting season, when wearing heavier clothing, the mounted feel will be almost identical and the hold will be virtually the same. Once the deer is in sight, the trigger pulled, the recoil won't be noticed.

I use both of these rounds, but all I can say is, they kick less than a steel buttplated 1903 Springfield and M1 Garand. I've gotten to the point where I can rapid fire a bolt action .243 Winchester in case I need to have a quick follow up shot while standing. The 7mm-08 is just a tad more potent in the shoulder, but still acceptable for recoil shy shooters.

A lot of youngsters and ladies shoot the 243 for deer here in Utah. Light recoil is their reason for liking it. It is a good round for deer.

My own preference for a deer rifle is a 270. This is fast shooting, with a flat trajectory. If you sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards you can shoot point blank up to 300 yards and hit a deer. Ammo is available most places as this is a popular caliber and has been around a long time. Ammo is also reasonably priced. Recoil is noticible and may be uncomfortable for a beginner.

Another vote for the 260

I have used a 6.5x.257 roberts - the ballistic equivalent to the 260 - for years and have been very pleased. There is not much recoil, accuracy is outstanding and performance has been great on deer, hogs, and coyotes.

The 260 comes in the same short action as the 243 and 7/08. This is a good cartridge for anyone.

Buy the youth ADL 700 Rem in 7mm-08. when he grows up you can buy from remington a new stock that will make it the gun of a lifetime.

243 is a great cartridge, but your margin for error with it is really reduced. in My mind it becomes more of an experts or experienced shooters round because you loose that leeway. JUST MY OPINION.

The reduced recoil rounds from remington for the 7-08 are wonderful. They kick less than a 6 ppc in a 9 pound sporter. And you get a bigger hole.

I would not let him use a hammer gun. i have seen to many times where kids get excited while pulling that hammer back and get a AD.

7mm-08 Weatherby Vanguard

Just a little tid bit of information.
A brand new weatherby vanguard in youth 7mm-08 with a 20 inch barrel comes free with an adult stock.

Yes that is correct free. The total cost is less than $350.
Weatherby stainless barrell, Composite youth and adult stocks. Easily interchangable without removing the scope.

Check this option out. I am sure they make the same rifle in different calibers.

My 2 cents: It really depends on what you expect your children to do in the future in terms of shooting. IF they are very accuracy conscious and will shoot the 243 and learn to shoot it well, I would go with the 243. It is more comfortable to shoot than larger calibers and is okay for deer.

If they are going to sight in their rifle and shoot it just prior to hunting season and not be interested in any kind of varmint hunting, I would bounce them up to the 270>30-06>308 power area. The 30 30 would be a fair choice also. They can learn to adapt to a little more recoil in exchange for a more reliable whitetail round. I would not go with 7mm or 300 win mag.

I started out with a 243. Reason was I wanted a combination caliber for varmints and whitetails and I suppose something with a little less recoil. I lost a deer shot in the front shoulder and I purchased a 270 for the following season. I have never regretted that choice.

.243 is what I would get your boy. Light recoil and plenty of power for deer. He's gonna have to make a "good" shot no matter what cartridge he uses. Might as well get him one that will allow him to do so (low recoil = less flinch).

Back