Have you shot a .243 and a 7mm-08

I've been doing way too much research on these two calibers. Situation - looking for a deer gun for my 9 year old. He is large for his age and seems ok with recoil on other guns. He has shot a lot of larger pistols (9mm, 40 s&w). My research shows that everyone likes the .243, but their is a small group that say the 7mm-08 is the best long-term cartrige. It can be purchased off the shelf with lighter loads and then move up. Also, I am hearing that the 7mm-08 is more forgiving with slightly off shots at deer. He is new (actually we are both new) to deer hunting. So my question.... have you shot both? If so what is the recoil difference?

Now I keep thinking that I should buy us both 7mm-08 rifles (I was leaning at a 30-06).

thanks

rifle

The 7-08 would be fine for a youth. The 7mm would be good for you. The 7mm wsm would be even better. net rifle .com Forget the 243.

I wouldn't discount the 243. I know a lot of folks who swear by the cartidge. If he's 9, get a 243 now and then a 30-06 or 308 later. The recoil on the 243 is light enough to keep him from developing a flinch but the impact is plenty for deer. And as far as recoil goes, you might find this interesting: http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Get the kid a .243, he can shoot it for as long as he likes. Its a very effective deer rifle. Get yourself the 30-06, you can't go wrong, wide range of readily available ammo and will take anything on the North American continent.

Bigredhuskers, huh? I'll guess that you're from Nebraska! :)

The .243 will be fine; just make sure you drill into him that he must pick his shot carefully. A deer that is gut-shot with any caliber can run a long way, and a deer that is gut-shot with a .243 can run a really long way.

Patience with the shootin' is the key -- with any caliber.

+ 5 (or what ever the current count is on the 243.) take care that the stock fits well. A thicker recoil pad can add length of pull as he grows.

If you don't have a 22lr I'd suggest you make that a high priority. Make sure he understands where the heart and lungs reside in a deer. You can draw pictures of deer at different angles and have him practice "finding" the vitals with his 22lr.

Teach the breathing technique of: Take a medium deep breath, hold for a moment. Then release half of the breath. Squeeze the trigger with even and consistent pressure until a surprise break occurs. The snap shot can be learned latter. Practice in all the positions he could encounter in the field. Use a premium bullet regardless of the caliber.

You should look at the Reduced Recoil ammo offerings from Remington. To find their website simply type Remington Arms+firearms. Many popular cartridges are now offered this way.

I started my kids on .223, then .243 and 30-30. But 44 Special ammo fired in a 44 magnum carbine is also a good approach. This is a technique we use at our Gun Club for new shooters.

Good hunting to you.
Jack

Walking-hunting, where I'm likely to get a quartering shot on a running buck, I carry my .30-'06. Mostly-sitting for my hunting, I commonly use my .243 and mostly take neck shots.

I've killed over 20 bucks with each rifle.

Were it my kid, I'd get a .243 and cut the stock down to fit. A thicker recoil pad can be added with age, to keep the correct length of pull.

My legs went and got old, so I've gone to a 700Ti in 7mm08. I figure it's a good 300-yard do-it-all critter, or, say 200 yards on a running mulie.

Art

get him a .234 I am 19 and I still hunt with one I also stand 6'1"and weigh in about 270 I love it. I do have many calibers of Firearms but when I "start huntin" the big deer that's what I pick up. For your self my first choice would be a .270 that's preference for most people here in Texas but a lot also shoot the .30-06 just a matter of choice.:D :D :D

I know one hunter that has probably taken more than 50 deer with his .243. He swears by it. Never owned one myself, I prefer the 30.06.

I have owned both, tho' the 7-08 was a TC Encore so it recoils a bit differently due to stock shape. I sold the 7-08 recently and replaced it with a .308 for personal reasons. The .243 I will not part with willingly. I love it! It is a M70 Win heavy barrel and it is a tackdriver! Not the ideal rifle to haul around a field hunting, but for still-hunting from a stand it is fine. It is soft recoiling and has plenty of power to do the job--all you have to do is put the bullet in the vitals, and that is something you would want to do anyway.

The 7-08 recoiled a lot more than the .243, and the TC stock directed it up into my cheek more than my shoulder. That's one of the reasons I sold it--it was not a 'fun' rifle to shoot.

I'll suggest an oddball caliber for you to investigate should you decide to consider something else than 243. Try the 6.5x55 Swede. Soft recoiling, far reaching, and with excellent knockdown power. You can load up to 160gr RNs in it if you want, but most folk use a 129 or 140 gr. It is very accurate and everyone I've ever met who owned a 6.5x55, loved it!

BUT--if your short list is 243 vs 7-08, I vote 243. Make your child & yourself practice shooting not only from a bench, but offhand if at all possible. If you can find some, get some paper targets with deer photos on them so as to condition yourself to shoot the animal and to practice looking for the vitals area, rather than a black or red target circle.

ive owned a savage 243 i bought when i was sixteen to hunt deer with and im now 26 it has been the best gun and extremely accurate.now the wife shoots it cause i just bought a new weatherby in 30.06

ok - it looks like the 243 is winning...

now which one.. I'm looking at the savage youth package (I'm assuming I can always add recoil pads or get a new stock), the vangard 243, would love to find a 7600 pump 243... anyway.. if its a 243 which one gets your vote? P.s. time to hit the pawn shops to find one unless you have one you want to part with? send me a pm.. thanks

The .243 is a good whitetail round, but as Art says the 7mm-08 is more of a "do-it-all" cartridge. If you choose a .243 I think you'll want to "upgrade" sooner than if you went with the 7mm-08.

Get yourself a .30-06 and him a 7mm-08. When he's ready to "upgrade" you might just be ready for something with a less kick and yall could just trade.

I think the 7mm-08 is a lot more versatile for big game, but you have to be able to handload to get the most flexibility for a youngster, because factory offerings are generally stuck in the 140 grain range. I made reduced 7mm-08 loads with 120's for my son to keep recoil below factory .243 levels. He was big for his age and started when he was 10. He now is shooting 140's and this year (at 13) he probably will be up to full house 140's. We went with the 7mm-08 so it could take him from antelope to elk, and I didn't want to go there with a .243, although some do.

I have had a .243 for years, love it but I've never deer hunted with it. Just sold a 30-06 to buy a M70 in 7mm-08. I love it. (incidentally I own 2 other 06's best all around round) Off the bench there is very very little recoil to the 7mm-08. My 5 year old son has rattled off 5 rounds off the bench and never flinched. Recoil is just not an issue and the caliber will fit your child longer than the .243 IMHO.

BigRed,

As I have stated before IMHO its hard to beat the single shot Handi-Rifle in 243 youth model for a starter rifle. It has 12 1/2" LOP which is great for youth. I prefer not to worry about more than one shot at a time, also it helps the kids become better shots. Its stops the spray and pray mode of hunting.

As the kids grow the rifle can be fitted with additional barrels from .223 to 45-70 and now the S&W .500 mag. The additional barrels cost between $82.00 - $100.00

Again Just my $.02 worth

Have you thought about splitting the difference with the .260?

Almost right smack in between the 7mm-08 and the 243 in the same parent case. Recoil is a little closer to the .243 than the -08. Energy is improved...what's not to like in a deer starter rifle.

Back