Have you ever went after one gun and ended up with something else?

I generally research my guns before buying. However, I have gone into a gun store on several occasions with no intent to buy anything and wound up with a new handgun. These were almost always used guns that I don't see a lot in this area. Examples:

S&W Model 547:

Colt .357 Magnum:

Colt Officers Model Special:

Colt Ultimate Officer:

Almost, just recently. In NJ you need a permit to purchase a handgun. My last permit expires in a couple weeks and I've been looking for a vintage S&W model 17 to (it seems) no avail. Last weekend I went to a gun show to continue the search and I see a Ruger Bearcat for an OK price. I figured I'd look around a bit more and come back and get it. For the kids, you know. As I'm finishing up looking, I come across a 17! He had four of 'em! Actually 2 were pre-17 K-22. Score!

Half my collection wasnt planned for... Just went into my LGS and they didnt have what I wanted or couldnt wait and sure enough Im walking out with something that I never even dreamed of owning....

Delta v. G20

I answered an add for a Colt Delta, got delayed by work for a bit, and by the time I arrived, the guy had sold it. All part of the hobby, first come, first served. I made some comment about the 10mm ctg, and the guy advised he had a G20.

This was back in the mag capacity ban days. The guy also had 4 hicap/full cap magazines to go with the pistol, which were selling for outrageous prices when found. The asking price for the Glock was the same as the Delta. I had the money. Sold.

I shortly thereafter sold a magazine to a pal, rather reasonably given the trends of the time, but still could count that gain against the initial cost. Works for me.

Oh yea I have, maybe more than once.

Some times you just never know what your gona happen across.

Main one I remember was when I was on the hunt for a 1911.
There I was fingering all the 1911's when I saw a Ruger Black Hawk in 357 magnum in the next case.
Lemme see that one.
Once I put it in hand, felt and heard the click when cocking. Felt the silky smooth single action trigger.
Could not help my self. It came home with me.

The days of a local candy/gun store are gone for me. See's candies closed, not moved, closed the location. Gun stores dropped like flies by the year 2000. Perhaps not as bad as Detroit but not good either. Impulse buying has been not been an option.

I went shopping for a Glock 19 and ended up taking home a CZ-85 somehow. Bought the Glock later when my lgs became a blue label dealer and saved some cash.

Last month I set out with my son to my favorite local gunshop and fully prepared to buy a new Springfield Armory M1A Scout model.

Wounded up picking up this little guy instead. :)

toby_in_car.jpg

I went into the gun shop with full intention of buying a Glock 10mm... ( it also would have been my 1st plastic gun ) I just could not get past the blocky grip... the store also happened to have a Witness ( CZ clone ) in 10 mm which fit my hand like a glove, was still a 10 mm, & was cheaper... hmmm... guess that 1st plastic gun is going to have to wait...

I've since rectified the plastic gun... but still have not found a Glock I like shooting... I realize they are good guns... I just haven't found one I've wanted to plop down the cash for...:o

All the time. I always seem to go in with all intention to buy a glock 19, and leave with something else. That's how I have my 2 favorite guns. My P2000, and 226.

For me a few years ago shorty after the CZ,P-06 (40caliber) came out I went to a gun show looking for one. I never did find one but I did find an army green P-01(same gun in 9mm) NIB for like $160 under MSRP. So I had to buy it. Funny thing is at the very next gun show I seen the same dealer with a full size CZ,75BD in army green for the same price. Thing was I all ready had the CZ,75BD in black. I came real close to buying it but had to say to myself that I can't buy the same gun I already have just because it's in a different color. Thinking of it now I wish I did buy it. You don't see them army green CZ'S that much. I kind of like the army green CZ'S they are different & look cool to boot! IMO.

Back