Have you ever went after one gun and ended up with something else?

AL45

I have had my eyes on a 7 1/2" .454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk for a long time, but have never seen one in any of the gun shops around here. Today I was looking for a semi-auto for conceal carry and lo and behold, there it was in the first gun shop I walked in. I handled it for a while and was certainly tempted, but I decided to stay on task. I already own a .45 Colt Blackhawk so I can't justify another similar caliber. Maybe I can catch the gun shop owner in a good mood and swap him straight across. Maybe he'll even throw in a few boxes of ammo. Maybe I need to quit dreaming.

Well, now the lastest bit of serendipity I have enjoyed came when I traded for this Colt New Frontier .44 Special:

I had been saving for a Colt New Frontier, and when I had my funds in order, I began a search. Found this one on line, but the owner worked an even trade with me, so still kept my funds. He was from out of state, so had to go through an FFL. On the day it was due to arrive, I killed time by visiting my local gun shop. there I found this gun, another Colt .44 Special New Frontier:

Now remember the gun coming in was an even trade, so still had the funds to buy this gem. So, that was a happy day for me.

Bob Wright

Well, let's see: Maybe ten, twelve years ago, I saw an ad in my paper advertising "some guns for sale" and mostly Rugers. I had money save up, and took about $500 cash with me to answeer the ad. The gent had several Ruger revolvers, as these:

They were Three Screw Ruger .357 Magnum Blackhawks, both converted by Ruger with the dreaded transfer bar conversion.

I asked the price, and the gent told me $200 for either one. I bought both.

I removed the transfer bar action from this one, fit a steel grip frame and ejector rod housing and stopped with that:

The short barreled one got a full treatment ~ removed the transfer bar action, converted to .44 Specilal, color case hardened, steel grip frame and ejector rod housing, new grips by CaryC:

Made a great day for me!

Bob Wright

Went to pick up an inbound transfer on a 39-2 from my FFL and hit another gun shop right afterward and found a very clean 4006 so I went out for one S&W pistol and came home with two.

At the gun show a couple weeks before that, I couldn't make a deal on a Model 52 that pleased me (though I did find two of them and both were very nice) but I did see a Model 2206 that seemed like a solid buy. It's exterior condition was a bit rough but it should make a fine shooter.

Many times I plan on buying one and end up with 2.

I purchased a 6" K38 master piece and also walked out with a 2" chiefs special.

I went to try out a 6 Ruger security six and also left with a Browing buckmark with a V.... something custom barrel and comp.

Daviud

AL45,

Usually, no, because I want what I want and I've researched it. BUT, there are always exceptions to my rules.

My suggestion is BUY IT! :) If you finally found something you can't normally readily obtain, and you have been looking for it, grab it while you can. I don't think I've ever regretted buying a new gun. ;)

U.L.

Oh, yeah, nearly forgot: One afternoon I went to The Three Little Pigs here in Memphis for a BBQ and came home with a 2 1/2" S&W Model 19.

Bob Wright

Decades ago I went to a gunshow looking to come home with a 4 inch barreled S&W Model 24, in 44 Spl. I came home with a 4 inch S&W Model 25-5 in 45 Colt.

Definitely yes. I always have a pretty fair sized list of guns I'm looking for and may see two from the list at the same time. But if the one I want most isn't as good a deal as the other one I'll go for the better deal. I also went to the LGS to buy a nice little Ruger Wiley Clap but it had been sold and got my second choice, my S&W 627, which turned out to be the best gun I've ever had.

Yes. Last year I went into a gun shop to buy a new mk 3, but walked out with a new buck mark.

And I went into a gun shop to buy a Baretta Neos and came home with a Mark III. The Baretta felt like a fragile toy and the Mk III felt like a solid piece of steel in comparison.

Yes sir. Had planned on getting a Redhawk (Been a Ruger fan since the 70's) then after my weekly trip to the range/LGS, the fella shows me a 4" 629. Was love and first touch LOL! Ended up coming home with me a few days later.:rolleyes:

If I had enough money to get everything I want at once, I would never have that problem. Pricing and availability at the same time I have the $$$ change my plans constantly.

Just an addendum on my previous post...something to contemplate.

You just might be able to find me in an old folks home (which might be sooner than I think) gumming my oatmeal supper and muttering "I coulda had a new in box (NIB) S&W Model 27 back in 1978 for $300 and I said I'd 'think about it' and then when I came back for it, it was gone!

Followed by drooling and tears. (shudder).

I've never gone out after a gun and come home with a different one, but on a few occasions I have gone out for lunch and bought a gun instead.

DaleA said:
Just an addendum on my previous post...something to contemplate.

You just might be able to find me in an old folks home (which might be sooner than I think) gumming my oatmeal supper and muttering "I coulda had a new in box (NIB) S&W Model 27 back in 1978 for $300 and I said I'd 'think about it' and then when I came back for it, it was gone!

Followed by drooling and tears. (shudder).

True, but something else to contemplate is that sooner or later it all goes back in the box
;)

Back