Have You Ever Wanted One?

I'll never try a 458 Winchester.

I owned a Browning Safari grade .458 in the 70s and, while it gave you a pretty good push, the recoil wasn't that bad if you held it tightly. It did have a rubber butt pad, however.

One of my friends had a .460 Weatherby that I thought was going to be an absolute bear for recoil, but it, too, turned out to be a pretty good shove, but not unbearable.

The same friend also had a Husqvarna in .300 Win Mag which I would say wins hand down for the most unpleasant recoil of any high-powered rifle I have shot. I do believe that the stock design and relatively light weight of the rifle were major contributing factors.

More recently, a local gun shop owner that we all went shooting with in the desert had a Barrett 82 in .50 BMG. The gun's recoil was about equivalent to an Ithaca 10 gauge Roadblocker; Not unbearable, but you got your fill in a hurry. Also, you did NOT want to stand to the side of the rifle when it was fired.

Have you ever wanted a rifle just to shoot and maybe for the romance of the cartridge to see how you could take the recoil but just didn't want to lay down the bills for one?
Yup, Ruger #1 African 458 Lott, and Serbu 50 BMG.
But not exactly "cheap shooters":D
So for now I stick with my T/C Contender 45-70 10" handgun, and Handi Rifle in 500 S&W.:D

The same friend also had a Husqvarna in .300 Win Mag which I would say wins hand down for the most unpleasant recoil of any high-powered rifle I have shot. I do believe that the stock design and relatively light weight of the rifle were major contributing factors.

yup they are kinda infamous for that here in sweden,

even the 30-06s kicks like mules.

I think it has got to do with the stock designed for use with ironsights, but then most people nowadays use them scoped and your shouldering is affected

very popular to get a hogue stock or similar for them because they are great actions

Two really bad shoulder busters I've owned were a Ruger 77 in .338 W.M.
and a Sako .375 H&H.
I ordered the Sako with lightwieght fiber stock. Bad idea. I could manage no more than 10 rounds per session tho it would give 1" groups with rem. factory 300 grain solids. (wanted to do Africa but never made it)
The .338 had a sharper recoil than the .375 & gave me flinchies.
I sold both.
The 12 bore with slugs isn't bad at all to me & the 45-70 405 grain handloads are manageable.
I have no desire to mutilate my self with bigger nasties.
I read of a fellow that shot a "lightwieght" .458 Win from the bench & suffered a detached retina. That can't be any fun.
My "want to have" rifle is a bolt action in 45-70 that can be loaded to
potentail. Ohio just went rifle with staight walled casesfor deer this fall & the big gun makers are missing a good be not entroducing a modern bolt gun in 45-70.

To the OP, YES! I recently picked up a M82A1 for several reasons, the raw power of the .50 BMG being one of them. The recoil is actually not bad at all, it is a much more pleasant rifle to shoot than a Mosin Nagant with a steel butt plate. I shot it for the first time Saturday morning and shortly thereafter had a crappy day at work, still couldn't have slapped the grin off my face with a 9 pound hammer.

Back