Have to move, opinion on where is best

pichon

I currently live in Utah where I have many liberties not afforded to those in other states. For instance I can carry my concealed firearm to class with me at the university which I attend. This is prohibited in most states.

I am in the final year of my masters program here in Utah and my wife and I are deciding on which law school to attend. We both love owning firearms and are very concerned about home and self defense.

I have a few concerns about laws in different states as we will most likely be moving out of Utah.

I have 3 handguns and 2 of them have high capacity magazines. I have a Utah CCP and would like to be able to legally carry in my destination state whether I have to get their permit or just use mine.

I have applied to a few schools. There is a possibility of staying in Utah but these are the other places in which the schools are located. Which are gun friendliest and why?

Stockton, California
Seattle, Washington
Spokane, Washington
Eugene, Oregon
Salem, Oregon
Las Vegas, Nevada

Gun rights are an important part of the decision for us as we will be spending at least 3 years in whichever place we choose.

Last edited:
Of those listed, Washington is the only state with reciprocity with Utah...

If I were in your shoes, I would try to stay in Utah if I could. If not, I'd try for Washington. I would think that Spokane would be more gun-friendly (if only marginaly) than Seattle, based solely on poulation... Neither are particularly horrible or awesome IMO....

In today's economy - go to the school that gives you the best education and job prospects.

Except for California - all the states are gun friendly. Establish residency and get their permit.

You can defend your house with a SW Model 10 quite adequately for 3 years. Your career is for your whole life.

If University of Oregon or U. of Washington (I'm guessing) are best rated - go there.

Guns are NOT the highest priority in chosing between UT, Nevada, Oregon or Washington.

Washington is a fairly gun friendly state. open carry is allowed and we are a "shall issue" state. carrying at the university is prohibited by school policy and state law however.

Dr. Meyer said:
In today's economy - go to the school that gives you the best education and job prospects.

Except for California - all the states are gun friendly. Establish residency and get their permit.

You can defend your house with a SW Model 10 quite adequately for 3 years. Your career is for your whole life.

If University of Oregon or U. of Washington (I'm guessing) are best rated - go there.

Guns are NOT the highest priority in chosing between UT, Nevada, Oregon or Washington.

All of the schools are roughly equal except the University of Utah, which is superior to the others, and which is obviously my first choice for multiple reasons. Staying may not be in the cards though. I am already set with a job after I graduate with some family friends regardless.

Last edited:
Glenn said it best, pichon. You can always get a permit in the other states besides California. Pick the best school for your application. Laws in Nevada, Oregon, and Washington aren't so different that you cannot defend yourself rather reasonably. You may not carry on campus. But you're going to have to give up some liberties you have in Utah if you're not willing to stay there.

California is not the place you want to be unless you have no choice. High taxes, many stupid gun laws, high unemployment, and it will get worse. The central valley including stockton pretty much blows. Forgot the mention the stupid new "handgun ammunition" law going into effect in a couple weeks. Do your self a favor and pick another location.

Ah, the naivety of the young. In three years, the job might not be there. You might not like the job and want to leave. Working for family friends forever?

However, your degree credential lasts for much longer.

Not a gun opinion but as an educator - go for the best degree and expect a changing future.

Ah, the naivety of the young.

I am actually older than most law students, but I bet you know that and can see my age in my user profile (being a moderator and all).:)

In three years, the job might not be there. You might not like the job and want to leave.

My friend is a partner at one of Utah's largest firms. He is the chairman over the fields in which he works for his firm. They (the firm) and the job aren't going anywhere. I may not love them (the jobs) but I have a backup plan too. I have a masters degree from a good business school.

Working for family friends forever?

You have me there. That is where my masters degree comes into play. I don't plan on working as an attorney forever and my friend knows that. Law is simply a means to an end. I have an entrepreneurial spirit and heritage, I will one day own my own business. My family and I aren't really concerned about money either as my parents made very wise decisions and that has left us in a good financial situation.

Like I said before, I am doing everything I can to stay in Utah as that is the best school on the list. I do value a quality education, but I dont fret too much about the other schools on the list as they are really all in the same league. Staying in Utah just may not be possible.

Thanks for all of the input too everybody. I do enjoy the discussion.

Sorry to underestimate you, but I'm getting old and have moved jobs and seen great places fail.

Just trying to be an old get off the lawn guy - giving advice. :D

Personally, knowing the NW - I'd go there in heartbeat over CA.

Eugene is a nice town. OR and WA are good gun states.

if you are interested in obtaining a law degree at a high ranked university in the U.S. this may help you................

Unfortunately many of those schools have very high admission test standards. Yale, Harvard, et al. are very hard to get into and are therefore not a possibility for me. I applied to schools within the realm of my possibilities based on test scores.

A different prospective.

It seems crazy to choose ones place of residence and in this case ones schooling simply based on firearms. Until you consider the following.....

1. The best fit may have just as much to do with culture as it does with the institution itself. If you are uncomfortable for whatever reason it may show in your results.

2. Many folks simply don't like being restricted in any way whatsoever. I live in Vermont. Surprisingly enough as democratic as the state votes we have many gun rights that others do not. I don't even need a CCW permit. Then again the state allows civil unions and small amounts of personal use narcotics depending on where within the state you are. The fact is that Vermont goes beyond liberal and in some ways is libertarian. .

3. Often the places with the most strict gun legislation are also the places with the highest crime rates. This again leads back to the general discomfort thing once again.

On a side note I hope this is just one part of your thought process and is not your A #1 deciding factor.

Vermonter

On a side note I hope this is just one part of your thought process and is not your A #1 deciding factor.

It is simply a consideration. I will not be making my final decision based on gun laws but I think from what has been said Stockton has a few strikes against it. My family will be alone a lot and I want them to be safe while I am gone.

Hi, pichon,

Mr. Meyer has spoken well of the proper priorities here. Of the listed choices, I'd take Washington - but then, I'm biased, having spent some of the best years of my life in the Seattle area.

If all else is equal, you'll find the Spokane area is more gun-friendly than the Puget Sound basin. But you can't beat the scenery in Western Washington.

But, as Mr. Meyer noted, the top priority is to get into the best law school you can!

Oh, and stay the heck away from Stockton! :eek:

God bless and good luck with your education.

I would rule California out even if I didn't own a gun.

My daughter faced a similar choice when she picked a vet school. She grew up in Wyoming, went to U of Wyo in Laramie for 4 years. She got accepted into Colo State right off the bat and figured Ft. Collins wouldn't be all that different than Laramie. But she found out Colorado is a world of difference than Wyoming when it comes to culture (some may scoff that Wyoming has no culture, but that's culture also). Rather than commit to CSU right away, she checked out the vet schools at Oregon St, Washington St, Minnesota. She decided Oregon St was a little too liberal for her tastes. I was actually surprised she picked Washington State there in Pullman.

After visiting the campus, I was pleasantly surprised. Eastern Washington isn't as redneck as Wyoming is, but it's a nice place and the people are close to normal. I'm guessing Spokane would be similar.

Without knowing anything at all about the deal you might be getting from one school or the other, I would pick Spokane just based on the quality of life. But that's my judgement, not yours. I was born and raised in Utah also, but not the big city part of it. I come from Carbon County, so I'm definitely a redneck hick type. :D

Good luck.

Of those cities listed I would choose Spokane, it has the weather and climate closest to Utah, and WA has pretty good gun laws.

Back