Have any of you hunted deer with a handgun?

Back in the 80s when I bought my first Ruger Red Hawk (stainless.) I mounted a Leupold LER 2 power. A dangerous 44 mag game taker. 100 yard accuracy off a bench as good as a center fire rifle could do.. But scope black outs galore when hand held. Dropped the idea of scope use. Sighted its open barrel sights in for 50 yards. Never came across another deer there after when toting that heavy hog leg. 600.00 investment now collecting dust. Although

I have during daylight shot a dandy big bodied spike 60 yards away with my carry piece. Bingo!!~~ brown went down for the count. Right thru the animals heart. In one side out thru the other. ~~Good eat'in one.

Only way I hunt deer anymore with a firearm. While my success rate has dropped significantly since I stopped using rifles, the thrill of the hunt has returned to where it used to be when I was young. Any fool can play the Guitar.

I have harvested one deer with a 7 1/2" Ruger SBH in .44 magnum at about 55 yards and a feral hog at night in a swamp with a .45 ACP. I have used my concealed carry firearm (mostly J frame Smiths or a G26) to dispatch a wounded deer, take a coyote and several rattlesnakes but I don't deliberately hunt with a concealed carry firearm.

Back in the 80s when I bought my first Ruger Red Hawk (stainless.) I mounted a Leupold LER 2 power. A dangerous 44 mag game taker. 100 yard accuracy off a bench as good as a center fire rifle could do.. But scope black outs galore when hand held. Dropped the idea of scope use. Sighted its open barrel sights in for 50 yards. Never came across another deer there after when toting that heavy hog leg. 600.00 investment now collecting dust. Although

I have during daylight shot a dandy big bodied spike 60 yards away with my carry piece. Bingo!!~~ brown went down for the count. Right thru the animals heart. In one side out thru the other. ~~Good eat'in one.

I have similar feelings about the scoped super Redhawk, I got a chance at a buck I jumped up but the scope was worthless.

So I traded it off and now I’m using a Blackhawk.45 convertible that will not only be a hunting gun but my woods carry gun and a down right fun plinker too.

I haven’t got a shot yet with my .45 but the fact that it’s not just a “hunting” handgun means I more patient and hopefully that’ll lead to success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only way I hunt deer anymore with a firearm. While my success rate has dropped significantly since I stopped using rifles, the thrill of the hunt has returned to where it used to be when I was young. Any fool can play the Guitar.
I quit hunting deer with a rifle unless I am just out to get some venison, then I do head shots;)

I have always wanted to learn to play the guitar:rolleyes:

I have not hunted with a rifle in quite a few years.

I've taken several deer with a scoped .44 Magnum Super Redhawk.

Taken one deer with a scoped 7-30 Waters T/C Contender.

Taken one very small bear with a .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk.

I wish I could, I'd love to take a deer with my ROA. Hand gun hunting for deer is illegal in Massachusetts. Guess I could try for a bear if I wanted one.

Back