Have a bunch of black powder

PeteQuad

So, like the title says, I have a bunch of black powder; about 20 lbs worth. It's been sitting in the garage for years sealed up in those little metal 1lb containers. I used a little with my .58 Harper's Ferry replica from Pedersoli, and I still shoot it once in a while, but I've gotten into S&W revolvers lately and realize I am never going to use all this powder. I don't like just leaving it there unused and have no idea what I should do with it.

Anyone know of any other uses for the stuff, or is there a place I can sell it that you know of? I'm not sure what is involved with mailing it; are their laws around that? I doubt I could just put something like that up on ebay.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Black Powder

-Without an Federal Explosives License you are in violation of Federal Law. There's a 5 pound possession limit now for personal use. More than that requires a FEL and a magazine approved and inspected by the BATFE. Sells of any amount is illegal without #29 FEL.
--Your best bet would be to give it away or call the ATF for proper disposal.

Is that something new? Because the last time I checked- about 5 years ago, the limit was 50 lbs. In fact I ordered 25 lbs from a major retailer and it was delivered by the USPS with labels all over it stating Black Powder for Small Arms. And this was to New York City (not there anymore).

Unless you are talking about posession in your car or something. I know you can't go around with more than 5 lbs, but in your house it was always 50 unless something has changed.

Ugh I just found out that although the limit is 50lbs, Black Powder cannot be resold. So I guess I'm stuck with it.

I think you can give it away. Me, I'd come and get it if it were very close....LOL might even buy lunch too! LOL

I didn't know you could not sell BP. UH I may be a little dense here, but who would/how would track the sale???

OMG! I broke the law when I bought 15 1 lb tins for $10.00 a few years back from a guy getting out of BPCR shooting.

Maybe I should go turn myself in......Yeah! Right!

Perhaps you're stuck with it, perhaps. But if there's a CAS group anywhere nearby, I bet some of them shoot blackpowder, or know those who do. I doubt there's anything preventing you from giving it away a little at a time to somebody who already shoots BP (and therefore, presumbaly, can buy it legally).

-As a dealer of black powder, I'm limited (225 ILCS 21/ Illinois Explosives Act) to possession of 50 lbs. I can not make sales of more than 5lbs. to an unlicensed individual in the same day. If the person has an FEL, then there's no limit. Also, here we are not supposed to "comercially display" black powder or smokeless powder. Life sucks sometimes.
-Used to buy the stuff at any mom and pop hardware store. Them was the good ol days.

Ah that explains it Double J - you are from Illinois. That is state law you are talking about - Illinois is one of the stricter states in the Union.

I'm looking into how I can dispose of it. So far I know of no one that wants it and I have no idea how to get rid of it. I'm thinking I may use it to start campfires over the next couple years, with great care of course! It's silly that there's not more information about this.

By the way, the reason I am in this pickle is that I used to live in NYC. Over there, there is no place to buy BP, but you were allowed to order from distributers. Unfortunately, the only one I could find shipped in 25lb increments only (max 50).

Suggest you find a N-SSA (North South Skirmish Association) re-enactor group that is 501(c)(3), National Battlefield Park site that does demonstrations, or any other 501(c)(3) reenactor group and donate it to them for their reenactments. A cannon will use about 1 pound of pounder per shot and they'll be happy to take all your powder off your hands.

Get a receipt and write it off your taxes. Everybody wins!

peter,

What are you asking for it? If it is Low enough to allow the HazMat fee to make it worth my while, I would be willing to buy it.

Cheers,

George

I'm not willing to mail it anywhere. I'm going to look into the great idea Gary gave. If anyone knows of such an organization in the Charlotte, NC area please let me know.

Guilford Court House Battlefield Park in Greensboro. Call the rangers there. South o' your border is King's Mountain and Cowpens. They'll probably be happy to take it off your hands.

If you were closer to Chadbourn N.C. I'd send my nephew (a Chadbourn Police Officer) to pick it up. Then I'd retreive it when I go visit him in July.

all you will have to do is find some local black powder shooters. More than likely, they are stuck with ordering 25 pound lots because local stores won't take the time and trouble to stock it.

Pete, I've got friends in your neck of the woods.

How much do you want for it, what grades are they (Goex FFg, FFFg?), and I could have somebody meet you face-to-face to pick it up.

Pete,

The best way to dispose of it is by dumping it in the wifes flower bed then giving it a real long soaking with the hose. Black powder is readily soluable in water (it simply disolves). In fact, given the nitrate content it makes a real nice fertilizer.

Nitro based powders are not soluable in water. If you ever want to test a pards loads to see if he is duplexing - a little bit of water and a paper towel are all you need.

+1 Flatwoods Fred

FF's right; makes a good fertilizer. If you can't find anyone to take it and shoot it, dump it in a spreader and fertilize the lawn (though you'd need a lot more if your lawn is the size of mine).

Flatwoods, as in Flatwoods, Hubert, NC?

Back