hate to look foolish but any one ever process a deer

Careful with the texting-

In Nebraska, it is unlawful to.......

-use two-way radios, cell phones or any other electronic devices to transmit information about the location of any game animal or game bird to or from a conveyance of any type (vehicles, aircraft, boats, snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, etc.).

you would be fine fine keeping tabs on the hunters' locations .....

Lot of good advice so far, I'm not going to repeat.
Just a couple thoughts though:
Your deer is always killed near last light of the day. :rolleyes: Use remaining light to gut and eliminate weight. Drag away from the blood pool and slit throat from inside and yank out windpipe. That is #1 spot for spoilage to begin.
Drag out of woods and get home to hang in a cool spot.
As for actual butchering, even though I have done several have to admit I still cannot get perfect roasts, steaks, etc. from my cuts. Have ample work room and do the best you can. I cut into meal size quantities and put in zip lock freezer bags and freeze as soon as possible.

I was watching the vid that bigalhunter linked to ..... that is a tiny deer.

In the vid, he opened up the rib cage with a heavy knife .... that would be much harder to do on a mature deer. I feel it also would collect more junk on the drag out if the chest was open all the way up ..... but a deer that small could just be thrown over your shoulders, anyhow .....

Last edited:
I like a sharp 4" knife for field dressing. I also like the small curvy 2" skinner blade, that includes a smaller gut hook blade. Always cut with the knife edge pointed away from your body...never cut with the blade edge pointed towards your body. The most dangerous cut: is reaching up into the chest cavity and cutting the wind pipe. Take your time on this cut --- may I suggest wearing a pair of Kevlar gloves.

Try to have the deer's head uphill. Preferably...tie the spread hind legs to two small tree's. I cut the belly hide first, then use a gut hook to gut. If you don't have a gut hook blade, cut the skin from sternum to just above the crotch --- with the knife blade between two fingers so you can deflect the guts from being cut. You don't want to skin around the inner leg area, because you'll expose the inner thighs that will tend to dry up later. Tie a string around his wanker --- then cut around it --- tie a string around the urethra below the bladder. Cut around the anus, then tie a string around it.

Cut around the diaphragm...lay the beast on his side, grab the wind pipe, and pull the innards out.

Due to the possibility of CWD {chronic wasting disease} do not saw down the center of the spine, or touch the spinal column, nor touch any brain tissue --- if you do --- wash the knife with soapy water and bleach. You do not have to cut or hatchet out the center pelvic or aitch bone at the crotch. I let the deer hang by his rear legs --- slit the hide off the inner legs with a knife --- attach "skin grabber" pliers and pull off with your hands; or tie rope the skin to an automobile or truck and skin it that way.

I prefer to de-bone all my deer --- and possibly save the ribs. Cut-off all the wild tasting fat, and any tough skin membrane...if you can.

You definitely don't want to throw the deer over your shoulders, and carry it out of the woods that way --- because somebody might start taking potshots at it.

Last edited:
A lot of good info being shared here.
One thing I can't stress enough and I am sure everyone would agree - GOOD SHARPE KNIVES.
Do not be cheap on your knives.
I like a 4 inch and a 6 inch boning knife.
A good heavy "Buck" style knife for the heavy work.
A 8 in bone saw is also handy but I have used a sharp hatchet many times when a saw was not handy.
There again - SHARP!!!!!
You will ruin more meat with a cheap sorry knife than if you used a chainsaw.
The metal has to be good quality or they will dull quickly.
Tendon, bone and sinew dull a cheap knife real fast.
Also good steel sharpens much easier than cheap metal.
One last thing and again I'm sure everyone will agree; I'd rather cut myself with a sharp knife vs a dull one.
Let me add this: once you have skinned a couple you may change knife styles/ type to suite your way of skinning and butchering.
But a good knife never goers to waste.

If you're gonna move the deer to skin and quarter it only cut the tarsal glands off and don't gut it until you move it if its only gonna be 30 minutes or so. Also I like a small 5-6 inch pocket knife for deer. Gotta be good quality and real sharp. To me I go between knuckles on legs to cut off waste bones and small blades are easier than large knifes or hachetes or meat saws. Also watch alot of videos on YouTube. You'll soon be like a pro.

You know Doyle that makes perfect sense. {Why gut at all.} That's all I take is the full loin (head to tail) front legs & back legs. Heart I could wait until someone gives me one. Liver is too strong or full of flukes. Bloody little tender loins. {They always end up being canned.} Plus I do skin my deer the same day or evening. I always hang the rib cavity on a hook for the birds anyway. I'll have to try out that non-field dressing routine (soon.) I like your idea Sir. Thanks for the Tip O wise one.

Where I hunt, we are pretty far from any kind of civilization. We have 2 or 3 100 qt coolers with us, with about 30 lb of ice in each. With a hunting party of 5, we have to plan as if we might get two in a day (even though we never have), and we also have to plan that it might be 75 degrees.... Thus, the coolers.

We have drug carcasses back to camp if it is close, and then processed near camp... and in other cases, we have butchered down to roasts backstraps, etc, and hiked it out back to camp to put it on ice. My buddy gets these gigantic 3 gallon ziplock bags, and they are very useful.

If you can do all of this close to a cabin with running water and a place to clean up... I envy you. We have resorted to taking a "bath" in a fast moving 33 degree river to wash the blood off of our arms and shoulders. The guys who clean up in cold water are worthless for about 15 minutes... no hand/arm strength at all...

Last edited:
We also avoid using a saw when processing because (I believe) that bone marrow contributes an "off" taste when it comes in contact with the meat. We also hang our carcasses (the deer's, actually) in a reefer for several days to allow the meat to dry and age. Lots of places like Colorado or Wyoming you get the same results with a night in the garage as it's so dry.

The actual butchering is done with a good quality kitchen knife set aside in our kit. I'm the designated sharpener and they are SHARP. The deer is disjointed with the knife and the cuts are then made for packaging. Basically you want to follow the muscle groups in the hams and you will get round, sirloin etc. that can be cut into roasts and steaks and chops. Don't forget the "poison meat" inside the body cavity up against the pelvis: it's called the tenderloin. THE best piece of meat on a deer or hog. If you like ribs, that's when the saw comes out. The front legs we usually debone and grind for burger and to mix with wild pork and fat for sausage.

Finally; we have been using a vacuum sealer for several years and I will not willingly process game without one ever again. It makes a huge difference six months later when you pull a roast out of the freezer.

I watched it done 4 times by someone that knew what they were doing before I tried it. Read a few articles and watched some youtube videos during that period. Still strugled the first time I tried with someone watching and the first time alone was a bit trifling.

Got the job done though. It isn't all that complicated. Mostly a matter of how fast it gets done.

Jimbob, excellent instructions. Very well done sir.

If a deer, or any game animal is dead there is absolutely no reason to slit it's throat

I don't slit the throat either and don't believe that it has any advantages. That said, unless you are going to the taxidermist it doesn't hurt any thing either.

In addition to my hunting knife, I also carry a multi-tool with a saw blade. It makes quick work of the pelvic bone and is easy to carry and quite handy for branches and what not.

HA!

Do not be cheap on your knives.

My hunting knife was free- found in the "odds and ends" drawer in my grandparents house, after I forgot my k-bar at home .....

It's a "Utica Sportsman" and even with the matching hatchet is worth like 20 bucks ...... the steel is good and holds a shaving sharp edge through several deer .....

My skinning knife is home-made..... made out of a spendy chopsaw blade that I broke some teeth off of ....

My butchering knives, OTH, are Wusthoff Classics ......

There are probably better knives out there ........ but mine have been doing the job well for many years ..... I doubt I'll ever drop a bunch of money to replace them......

The easiest way to get the hide off is with a Rope, golf ball, and your truck

Dynamite is even easier yet, but the results are not as good.

I have seen the rope and golf ball thing ..... tore a lot of meat off the lower ribs ..... and the knot would never ever in 1000 years come out of that rope.

If you REALLY want to get the skin off easy, go to Youtube and search for the videos of skinning deer with an air compressor. I want one.

Have seen deer skinning done using a truck, garden tractor, front-end loader, boat trailer winch and even a log splitter but never the air compressor trick.

Haven't watched the vid. yet but am assuming they use an air nozzle blowing air between the cape and the body while pulling on the cape. If that's the case, I hope they have a good inline water filter/trap inst'd on the air compressor.

I usually cut a couple finger holes up by the neck and start tugging. As for knives a nice sharp paring knife is all you need aside from something to get you through the bones.

Haven't watched the vid. yet but am assuming they use an air nozzle blowing air between the cape and the body while pulling on the cape.

You don't even have to pull on the cape. The skin blows up like a balloon. It is really effective on the head if you are trying to cape it out for a trophy. I don't see the need for an effective filter. On an oil-free compressor the only thing traveling down the air line will be air and maybe some water vapor. No harm in that.

Back