Has your polymer pistol ever bent or been damaged by sitting?

I believe in polymer, that's the best of both worlds, steel is the most durable, but heavy. Aluminum is light but brittle, they crack like frames of guns. Polymer frame with steel guiding rails is the best of both worlds. I would never buy another aluminum frame. I would still buy a steel frame if it's for home defense that I don't carry out.

This is an odd thing to worry about. Current full-size aluminum-frame pistols will last tens of thousands of rounds at a minimum. At today's prices, the cost of the ammo required to break the gun could be well over a hundred times the cost of the gun itself.

This is an odd thing to worry about. Current full-size aluminum-frame pistols will last tens of thousands of rounds at a minimum. At today's prices, the cost of the ammo required to break the gun could be well over a hundred times the cost of the gun itself.

Aluminum alloy is aluminum alloy, they are brittle, Sig P226 cracked the frame in the military test, read about Beretta Tomcat crack frame. Also aluminum frame rail wears out, I have Beretta 950BS to attest to that.

To be fair an alloy receiver handgun is the least durable of major frame types. I don’t disagree that a quality alloy pistol will last many thousands of rounds (SIGs, Beretta 92, CZ P01 and brethren etc ) but at the end of the day a Glock 17 riding on steel frame rails will likely in vast majority of cases outlast a comparable alloy framed pistol. Now is that number relevant to the VAST majority of shooters, nope not likely but like for like alloy is the weaker of the big three. (Steel/poly/alloy).

For what it’s worth I much prefer my weak Beretta 92 to a Glock 17. :).

Now the real question is how long will my Ruger P97 frame rails last. All polymer all day. ;).

Aluminum alloy is aluminum alloy, they are brittle, Sig P226 cracked the frame in the military test, read about Beretta Tomcat crack frame. Also aluminum frame rail wears out, I have Beretta 950BS to attest to that.
In all fairness, ALL frames AND rails will wear out eventually. I have had steel, aluminum, and polymer framed guns over the years. Although I have never had a frame of any kind break.

After my experience with my Ruger LC9s, and the polymer grip texture getting worn off with pocket carry I am personally leaning towards guns with chassis systems so the actual frames can be easily replaced when worn or broken.

The only cracked frame that I've ever experienced was a High Standard 107 Supermatic Trophy. Known for cracking around the magazine area. That was after over 10,000 rounds during my bullseye days. The frame warped also. But an good friend welded it back up and it still shoots to this day.
Probably from using High velocity instead of standard .22

I guess I should stop glorify the polymer too much. This is my believe, I don't have personal proof aluminum frame crack. I can only attest to how strong the polymer is. To each there own. I will buy all polymer this time even though I am getting a plastic toy gun as long as I can't buy ammo!!!

Take care.

That FN thing was an anomaly and probably just a bad batch of polymer that got out the door.

It no doubt was an "anomaly", but after watching the infamous U-Tube video, I would never buy one before testing it first. :eek:

I'm not a big polymer fan but since my wife has bought a couple of them I'm warming up to them some. But honestly the only frame I've ever personally seen crack was an old Colt Heavy Barrel Officers Model in .38 special I had that cracked at the bottom of the hammer channel into the grip area. It never affected anything tho.

Aluminum alloy is aluminum alloy, they are brittle, Sig P226 cracked the frame in the military test
d

That's pretty funny since the Sig P series of guns are considered some of best combat pistols designed with a long proven track record.
My CZ PCR saw over 5k rds in its first year of life, barely a mark on its sub par alloy frame.

sevt chevelle:

Our Czech PCRs seem to be made of the highest-quality materials. Mine has seen approx. 1,000 rds. and been carried IWB (Remora) over a dozen times.

You would probably know that my VZ-58 (and the older military versions) from the Czech Republic traditionally used aluminum magazines.

I've been somewhat curious about their strength, only from a long-term durability standpoint, but many hours of reading about the Czech/CSA VZ ....rifles.... (even about the Century 2008 version) has revealed zero info on any aluminum (or polymer) magazines failing to function.

Last edited:
Look at the lips, if they don't show wear after 1000 rounds, you should be good. Aluminum alloy do wear, good thing is bullet casing is softer than steel.

Ha ha, I can only attest to my own experience.........Which doesn't include burning it!!:D

But seriously, polymer is a generic terms, different composition can be different. I just trust that the big company use the best materials.

I believe in polymer, that's the best of both worlds, steel is the most durable, but heavy. Aluminum is light but brittle, they crack like frames of guns. Polymer frame with steel guiding rails is the best of both worlds. I would never buy another aluminum frame. I would still buy a steel frame if it's for home defense that I don't carry out.
I agree Ploymer with steel rails or at least steel inserts is much better quality. I had to replace 4 different LCP's with cracked Polymer frames. Here are two cracks another one not shown has a one crack ran all the way down the back strap.

That said, I had to LC9's that never had the same issues.

61GHNiG.jpg

J1qqju6.jpg

Hi Carl

Ruger frame is not polymer, it is glass filled nylon. I don't know exactly what is the difference, but Ruger is very specific.
https://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/specSheets/3701.html

I am surprised though, it has a whole aluminum trigger unit that takes all the stress like LC9 or LC380.

How many rounds you shot before they started cracking?

One thing, it's a lot of pressure from the 380ACP putting on such a small pistol also. That's why I never want to push to the limit on the size and weight.

Last edited:
Ruger frame is not polymer, it is glass filled nylon. I don't know exactly what is the difference, but Ruger is very specific.

That's just a type of polymer, which is a term that encompasses a broad spectrum of materials. Glock frames are also made from a nylon-based polymer.

Back