Has your polymer pistol ever bent or been damaged by sitting?

Perhaps a weird question.. maybe I'm just being paranoid. Specifically talking about a SW mp 9mm 2.0

Currently carry in a crossbreed Founders Series supertuck - between 5 and 5:30

Do you think it is possible or likely for this pistol's grip, or some other part of it to break or become damaged if it's between me and the back of a chair, or like while I'm driving etc?

The only two polymer pistol damage I have seen have been.
-HK P2000 that the grip snapped off when a CBP agent flipped his 4 wheeler and launched himself into the rocks and apparently the gun took the brunt of it. That musta been a BIG BADDA BOOM and me thinks said agent was a might sore for some time.

-The FN debacle where certain pistols would easily deform in direct hot sunlight.

Other then those two things that’s about all I have ever heard of beyond dogs chewing them up, people leaving them in ovens etc. Remember there is a whole cadre of folks who run these things over with trucks for giggles. So barring you weighing 750 pounds and living on Jupiter, I think your ok. :)

No for a moment, polymer is so strong it's not funny. It flex a little but it bounce right back. I must have said it here many times, I bought a bottle of alcohol and they forgot to remove the locking cap. I thought I can just ply or break it off as I have a workshop at home. I clamped it in a big vise, chissel, sludge hammered, plied, you name it. I pounded it so hard I broke the bottle cap inside and started leaking. That thing just won't break or give. Finally red faced and went back to exchange another bottle. The locking cap just had a few scratches, I bet they could just unlock it and use it on a new bottle. If it were aluminum, I bet I could break it off in one minute.

No, I don't believe for a moment you can hurt it. In fact, I am shopping for another gun, I just bought a Glock, I only want to buy a polymer gun as it's so strong.

High temperature might be a problem like Cslinger said.

High temperature might be a problem like Cslinger said..

VERY high temperature. Nothing you could do to in any kind of normal or most abnormal operating conditions. You would have to go out of your way to heat to failure. But I have read of people who have left guns in ovens or accidentally blow torched etc. That FN thing was an anomaly and probably just a bad batch of polymer that got out the door.

If it did break, it was damaged already. By something else. That is not "direct hot sunlight". Any polymer that melts is made of substandard materials.
Other than polyethylene, polymers melt at over 200 C. That's about 392F.
Don't think 750 pounds would do it. Don't think 'meat' etc. is hard enough to do anything. Lots of sites on-line about the strength and breaking point physics of polymers.

Geeees I said 750lbs AND lived on Jupiter. :) :p. So about 2,000 lbs or so. :)

But yes, joke not withstanding, you ain’t gonna hurt your polymer pistol unless you specifically set out to do so in some way.

VERY high temperature. Nothing you could do to in any kind of normal or most abnormal operating conditions. You would have to go out of your way to heat to failure. But I have read of people who have left guns in ovens or accidentally blow torched etc. That FN thing was an anomaly and probably just a bad batch of polymer that got out the door.

Ha ha, I can only attest to my own experience.........Which doesn't include burning it!!:D

But seriously, polymer is a generic terms, different composition can be different. I just trust that the big company use the best materials.

I believe in polymer, that's the best of both worlds, steel is the most durable, but heavy. Aluminum is light but brittle, they crack like frames of guns. Polymer frame with steel guiding rails is the best of both worlds. I would never buy another aluminum frame. I would still buy a steel frame if it's for home defense that I don't carry out.

I slipped on some black ice and had my feet go straight out from under me. The only thing that broke my fall was my Glock 19 at about 5:00 on my back. No damage to the Glock. Left a pretty neat bruise.

My last shooting instructor would probably say, "Taurus is sold broken."

Lol... still, not looking to be shot by one

Oddly enough.. I really wanted a Taurus Curve. I wasn't fast enough to buy when they were still around.

Great, "gym gun," for like LA Fitness or whatever

Last edited:
Really doubt that it is possible. Designers are quite aware of stresses on carry guns.

My German-made Walther P99 AS is so well-engineered that such an idea never came to mind.
...ist mir niemals eingefallen...

Didn’t polymer handguns begin with HK - 12 years Before Glock, or So ..?

Really doubt that it is possible. Designers are quite aware of stresses on carry guns.

My German-made Walther P99 AS is so well-engineered that such an idea never came to mind.
...ist mir niemals eingefallen...

Didn’t polymer handguns begin with HK - 12 years Before Glock, or So ..?

Look like you are right, I never knew that. I was very into guns in the 80s, I quit when Glock just came out and swept the industry. Glock was the first one to make it into main stream and I thought all along Glock was the first. I read somewhere about Glock was the only one that passed 10,000 rounds test in the military qualify test.

I came back because of Glock that I never got one before. I bought my Glock 26. No ammo to try it out yet, so it's just a plastic toy gun for now!!!:D...........Sorry I can't help joking about this even thought I am a true believer of polymer guns.

Right now, I am looking for a Sig 2022 .40, or maybe a HK P2000SK, both polymer guns. There is one store that have the HK, but it's going to be expensive. It's $770MSRP, I don't know what is the mark up now. I hope I can find the Sig.

Last edited:
Back