Has Taurus got their QA right?

QA = Question and Answer

QC = Quality Control ...Taurus revolvers are a lot better than they used to be !

The most accurate 45 acp I own is a Taurus revolver...the Colt Gold Cup and AMT Hardballer are both jealous of the Taurus and the cloverleaf groups it prints !

I hate to say it but I would not order a gun , S&W or Ruger , online without a chance to closely inspect it ...both companys are sending out a lot of guns that need repair...more so S&W . The days of only quality hand fitted and tested guns leaving the factory are over...send them out and let the owner deal with repairs...and that way of doing business just sucks rocks ...it's a crying shame.
Gary

Last edited:
It really is a shame quality is still a hot topic for Taurus. Hopefully in a year or two I will be able to do another review if the owner still has it to see how it is holding up.

List of Taurus revolvers I have that work.
Taurus 327
Taurus 66-2 of them
Taurus 82
Taurus 431-2 of them

Taurus 441-2 of them

Taurus 94

Taurus 991
Taurus 992, Taurus 850, Taurus 990, Taurus 65
All work well and none have ever given any troubles.

I stopped buying Taurus years ago because of quality. Over those years I owned 7 Taurus handguns (all but one revolvers) that I can think of at the moment, three of which were perfectly fine, the rest had one problem or another requiring trips to the factory. Maybe they are better now, but I stopped trusting them after my experience, and that has nothing to do with the elitism mentioned by cheapshooter, who if you notice often seems to be the one taking cheap shots at people with real negative experience with Taurus, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Between my family and I there are a total of 5 Taurus brand firearms in my household, I've never had any issues with any of them.

I've said it before and I'll say it as many times as the subject is raised, the issue with Taurus isn't lack of quality or reliability, but rather terrible Customer Service, which in turn has resulted in the illusion that a lack of overall quality/reliability is the issue due to the sheer amount of negative feedback from those who got a lemon and had to deal with Taurus' inept CS Representatives and couldn't reach a positive conclusion.
In reality, Taurus has no worse overall quality control than Ruger, but unlike Taurus, Ruger actually has very good Customer Service, ergo those who get a lemon tend to get the issue sorted out promptly, thus leaving them with a much more positive opinion of the company.

It also doesn't help matters that many folks have a bad habit of making Taurus' reputation for lack of reliability something of a self-fulfilled prophesy when they go in so expecting the firearm to fail that any hiccups they experience during their first trip out to the range get immediately self-diagnosed as symptoms of a much bigger problem when in reality the gun just needs broken in. (And before anyone says, "My Smith ain't need no break-in!" Your Smith & Wesson probably cost you 2x the amount of a Taurus.)
In addition, I've seen a lot of folks in videos online who really seem to neglect their Taurus firearms, handling them with far less care than they do their other firearms, and thus likely neglecting them even furthermore behind the scenes. You can't expect a firearm that you neglect, handle carelessly, and do not clean/lube on a regular basis to maintain perfect function/reliability.

I've only had one experience with Taurus warranty/service and am mostly happy with it. I had a Rossi that's part of the safety recall that was also malfunctioning and needed additional repairs. Now, I'm sure they are dealing with a pretty fair amount of guns for the recall so I don't expect super prompt service. I sent the gun in about a month ago, yesterday I got a call and they said they can't fix the Rossi, which is kind of what I expected. So they offered me a brand new Taurus 605 instead. Now, in this case I was hoping for something more like a store credit versus this is what you get, take it or leave it. I was a little disappointed, but as I thought about it I could have come out a lot worse all things considered. So for me in this situation, while not thrilled with the outcome I would say Taurus has done ok for service. I feel given all the circumstances of my situation they've done a perfectly fine job and have at least met my expectations of reasonable service. And the people I've dealt with on the phone have been pleasant and have taken care of things just fine. Just my limited experience.

Back