Has Ruger Ever

I think if you send a Ruger SA 3 screw in to Ruger for whatever reason they will modify it and convert it to the "new model" with the transfer bar and it will no longer have the classic 3 or 4 click traditional single action.

I don't know this for sure but I am pretty sure this happens as it is a safety issue of big concern with Ruger, liability, as was mentioned.

It's not about a safety concern, it is a legal responsibility. Ruger LOST a lawsuit (that they shouldn't have lost, but the jury apparently went for the "deep pockets" of the gun maker, but that's another story), which resulted in the design of the "New Model" action, which hit the market about 1973 or so.

Part of the settlement agreement was that Ruger would convert all old models to the new standard. There was no recall, Ruger advised, but did not require owners of old models to send them in for conversion. However, Ruger is required (by law - the terms of the settlement) to convert every old model they get their hands on, no matter the reason the gun was sent in.

They HAVE to do it, or be in violation of the settlement agreement.

Ruger is indeed deeply concerned with their liability. If you aren't aware, a few years ago, Ruger stopped issuing a warranty on their guns. That's right, Rugers (today) don't have a warranty.

Ruger stands behind their products, and very well, but they no longer give a written warranty. Not because they are trying to weasel out of standing behind their guns, rather quite the opposite.

The various laws about what "must" be in a warranty are confusing, vary widely and may even in some cases be contradictory. Ruger simply decided not to play that game anymore. They stand behind their guns, but don't give a warranty that some lawyer can twist into a claim of them being in the wrong, when they aren't.

I respect that, a lot.

My father would never send in his 357 Blackhawk for transfer bar. He said load 5 was good enough . He died in 1981 . I have in safe and still as delivered from factory. .

At least at one time they would return the original parts with the Blackhawks. If the owner wished to do so they could return the gun to it's original condition. For collectors that was important.

Bought mine new in 1968. It ain't broke, so....

bf4359844488d6c01a43b31f0c1f91358fc03ac.jpg

I returned my CCW to Ruger recently because the magazine was occasionally disengaging in my pocket holster. Ruger was quick to send me a FedX label for return, changed out the lower handle frame, the magazine set and spring, and even changed the battery in my laser light! Full turnaround time was 11 days. The courtesy and quick response impressed me, and I don't have any issues with the magazine!

Ruger has decided that somehow the Hammer and Trigger strings were somehow wrong in my SP-101 2.5" 357.

They said that they corrected the Hammer spring and the trigger SD in speed firing SD do that it would fire better in either mode.

Here's the crazy thing about this from Buds to my Fll to me. When I picked it up last month, the 357 2.5" was absolutely spotless I have never seen a NIB wheel in such great shape. but the action was terrible.
The DA was okay and the SA was a disaster.
We will see what it's like when it arrives tomorrow. I will be one unhappy client if this is not resolved.

This is what I really don't like about Ruger. A Ruger is fine if you plan to leave the gun exactly the way it is, like an LC9 for EDC - good enough.

But, I will not buy anything expensive or "high-end" made by Ruger. Too hard to find parts and they all but stop you from making any upgrades or modifications to their guns. When they decide to stop supporting one of their guns, good luck finding parts or getting Ruger to even work on it. I've owned 4 Ruger guns: 10-22, Single-Six 10, LC9 and AC556. I am not a big Ruger fan.

I have about a dozen Ruger SA revolvers, I like them a lot. Don't have any of their DAs, don't like them much. Am also not a 3 screw collector, I have had some but I prefer the new model lockwork.

So, Ruger converting the old models was never an issue for me.

Don't like ALL ruger products, but do really like some of them.

Overall, I guess I'm a Ruger fan.

Never had to send any of my Rugers back to Ruger, for any reason, and I do understand their policy, so IF I ever do (and that seems unlikely) any non stock Ruger parts won't go with the gun.

Back