Has anyone used either of these breaching rounds?

Under what circumstances do you see a possible need for a breeching round unless you're law enforcement or military???

If you're LE or military, they'll issue you the rounds free.

One possible downside to breaching rounds, is that cops and military have guns specifically set up for the purpose, they get training on how to do it, and they wear body armor.

A nephew has a friend who came home from Iraq after breaching a door and catching some door pieces in his shin.

If it's just for "what the heck" experiments the price is reasonable, but LE and military don't use that brand unless it's for low cost practice.

Again, I don't see a valid use for breeching rounds for citizens.
If it's an interior door, those and the locks are so weak you can shoulder one open.
If it's an exterior door, you can kick those open, and I'd question what need you'd have to blow open a door, yours or someone else's.

Just want to play with them, be careful of flying pieces of doors and the slug.

The only thing different about "specifically set up guns" is the muzzle device, which is handy but unnecessary.

Last edited:
Very good, but again, WHY?

Home self defense does not include breaching locked doors. That sort of behavior may have you being seen as the miscreant.
JMHO, and worth what you paid for it. Leave the tactical stuff to those that have the training and equipment to deploy it. In most cases this type of ammo also involves the statement to hold my beer and watch this.

Having some experience in this area, the BIG difference in “specifically set up guns” is not mixing ammo in the same gun. A “Breaching” gun should NEVER have buck/slugs in it and vice versa. NEVER. Doing so just leads to mistakes. A “breaching gun” IS a speciality gun. Usually a VERY short barreled pump gun

For the masses…. Breaching rounds are specifically designed to “powder out” upon impact with lock/hinges. Think frangible type bullets. Hits something hard and turns to dust. Even birdshot posses a hazard after hitting a hinge, imagine mistakingly launching a slug.

I don’t think anyone said L/E or military don’t use them… post 3 questioned if you’d have a need for them, and then said if your are L/E or military, you’d be issued them (which is accurate).

I tried the Federal brown shell breaching rounds, previously. I may have some in one of my ammo cans. Definitely something you can hurt yourself or others without training/safety gear.

Having some experience in this area, the BIG difference in “specifically set up guns” is not mixing ammo in the same gun. A “Breaching” gun should NEVER have buck/slugs in it and vice versa. NEVER. Doing so just leads to mistakes. A “breaching gun” IS a speciality gun. Usually a VERY short barreled pump gun

For the masses…. Breaching rounds are specifically designed to “powder out” upon impact with lock/hinges. Think frangible type bullets. Hits something hard and turns to dust. Even birdshot posses a hazard after hitting a hinge, imagine mistakingly launching a slug.

This is the biggest thing.

Similarly the reason why less lethal shotguns have the bright colors on the gun. Mixing ammo, especially between stuff designed to stop people lethally, non-lethally and then to defeat doors/locks… is just asking for problems. Heat of the moment… you send a breaching round into a threat that should get a beanbag? Or worse… someone that really should have got lead? Good example is that female officer who yelled “taser, taser, taser” before drawing her gun and shooting the suspect. If she didn’t say that, she probably would not have been questioned on her actions, as the guy was getting into a vehicle to drive off, with officers potentially could be ran over.

Our field office yanked all of our 14” shotguns maybe 3 years back (Boston, so more of a liberal mindset in regard to firearms). For what I do, a shotgun is a better weapon than an M4. But when it comes down to it, Boston was worried about someone sending buckshot into someone when it should have been a slug; possibly injuring bystanders.

I SBSed my TAC-14 since then, so I’d have the option handy (exigent circumstances), if ever needed. This includes a wide amount of situations, but the biggest one would be a school shooting. We are the largest L/E presence in our area, and likely would be one of the first responders. I currently have been implementing a new active shooter response plan at work. All that considered… what’s in my SBS? Remington slugs and Federal 00 buckshot. That’s it!

What’s our plan for making entry into any of the buildings we’d need to enter in these types of situations?

https://a.co/d/b0W7wGM

It’s not available on there, but we have a few of those in our vehicles. Ones that don’t… we have crowbars and/or sledgehammers.

Back