Has anyone seen this before?

"accuracy relative to the POA is more important than consistency" how can you have accuracy without consistency ?

if it's a random bullet within a 6 moa group of 50 rounds that only 2 actually touch the poi, that is not accurate. although if you fired that first round and it was the one in the middle, you might think it accurate, but it would be far from it. IMO

Take the brushes out of a bore snake and put some semi chrome on it. Run that through the bore a couple dozen times and then look at it/ try it.

Update: My friend went on his hunt and successfully tagged a bear with it. Unbeknownst to me--the rifle had been back to a gunsmith once before and I suspect it was likely then that the strange imprint happened. My "prescription" to my friend was upon getting to his destination fire a couple shots to check his zero and foul-in the irregularities a bit before the hunt started. I cleaned it to bare steel before his departure.

I've been shooting and working on rifles for about 50 years and never encountered such a lousy rifling job, even for some cheap single-shot .22LRs, back in the day. It's both amazing and discouraging that a "quality" company let such a mess leave the plant. Apparently, nobody is checking the work after its "worked-over".

I've been shooting and working on rifles for about 50 years and never encountered such a lousy rifling job, even for some cheap single-shot .22LRs, back in the day. It's both amazing and discouraging that a "quality" company let such a mess leave the plant. Apparently, nobody is checking the work after its "worked-over".
I checked the over-all barrel length and it looks to me like it probably was trimmed at the muzzle at some point and recrowned. My friend took into a LGS and they took care of having the work done. I've learned from experience that these things are not worth pressing the issue unless my friend really wants to--as long as he can take his quarry at zero distance of 300 yds or less that's all he really cares about. Guns stores don't like it when some smarty-pants home hobbiest who thinks he knows it all (in their opinion, I don't think that) questions the integrity of their work and can get very defensive very quickly. So, if my friend doesn't care--nor do I and I'm not going to press it.

Weatherby's response to Shadow9 is what I tought. There are other factors we are unaware of too. Time between shots. Temperature of barrel and cool off time. Bullet/cartridge.

Metallurgy is such that a mfg can determine approximately how many round went down the barrel. Learned that at S&W and I'm sure Weatherby could do the same. Hence having the rifle in their hands would give them a more definite response.

Back