Has anyone purchased a "NEW" model 17 Masterpiece?

I did not buy one,but it was close. It was down to the 17 classic and the 617. It was back an forth for a while.

I also have not been able to find a vintage one. As said the bluing is not as nice and it does have the lock. That isn't a deal breaker for me. It did feel great in the hand and is still a quality revolver. Just because you prefer vintage ones doesn't mean you couldn't own a new one also.

In the end I came home with a 617 but I think I would have been happy with either one. I continue to look for an older one.

Last edited:
Aarond, --- so what did you decide to do ? I realize the thread is a little old, but just wanted to say I just bought a new "Classic" model 48, $832 or so from Bud's about a month ago and it seems to be every bit as choice as the model 17 I had years ago---I have a decent amount of magnum ammo, so got this one first---I'll pick up a 17 in another few months ---- been looking at the used ones and they are very pricey--- Bud's has the 17 right now for $777.00 ---

I'd grab that before it jumps back up to the $853 or whatever --- virtually the same gun and mine is a beauty---very nice finish and very well fitted---I've already installed a spring kit and it now has a 3 pound trigger, not too concerned about the double action pull due to I always shoot them single action ---oh, and it's deadly accurate --- I don't think you would be dissapointed --John

I've not seen a decent 17 near me in over a year,,,
And the gunbroker guns that look decent are still rather pricey.

I was just thinking that if I have to pay over $700.00 for a used one,,,
A brand new one might not be too bad an option.

One here at at a local shop went for $650 and looked well used. I have one and will not let it go for under $900. No box no papers and is at 95-98%. That same shop offered me $350 because I had green nail polish on the front sight and just a small amount of wear at the left from
bit of wear at the tip of the muzzle :rolleyes:

Hello jrhilde,,,

Aarond, --- so what did you decide to do ?

I've decided to wait a short while before I buy anything.

The Wanenmacher gun show in Tulsa is this weekend,,,
I'll be going there with just over $800 cash,,,
Perhaps I'll find one of the vintage guns.

Aarond

Aarond, good luck --- If I had the $800 it would have been sent to Bud's already, but you may well find something that grabs you at the show --- I'm sort of a heavy duty .22 guy due to having a Defillbrilator planted in the right side of my chest, [ vein on the left wasn't looking good ]. So I still have my CZ rifle and the new model 48. but a double action revolver in .22 LR is at the top of my got to have it list ---

All my heavies are gone, rifles and handguns due to too much recoil, but for me the 17 will be perfect ---have fun at the show ---- John

Back