Harbor Freight Torque wrench quality?

I use the 1/2" drive

I use a 1/2" HF torque wrench at least twice a year. When I swap from summer tires to winter tires.
So far so good. Been doing so for years, hope the wheels don't fall off anytime soon....or for that matter any time at all.

I picked up one of the 1/4 drive in/lbs HF torque wrenches to help with accurizing bolt action rifles (sometimes you can squeeze a little more accuracy by adjusting the torque on the action screws). I have no complaints.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the HF 3/8 Torque wrench for assembling an AR upper, as the 30 to 80 foot pound range for the barrel nut to be properly timed is a huge range, not something where the added precision (smaller variance) of a Mitutoyo is going to help at all.

Jimro

I have the 3\8" version, got it on sale for $ 7.99.

Been working just fine for several years, a few engine and transmission rebuilds, general automotive use, and a couple AR builds.

I have no complaints, especially for the price I paid.
Hey was this a "on sale" + % off coupon?
or was this a specific item coupon or what?
kinda curious how you got it that cheap so I can keep my eyes open for the same deal.

I don't need a torque wrench this very second so I can wait if I can save a few more bucks.

Just keep checking their website. They generally run coupons for all their

torque wrenches (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) all at 11.99 with that coupon. I bought a 1/4

and a 1/2 and have used both. I think that for average uses it suits your

usage. I have used the 1/4 for scope mounts, the lowest setting is 20 in. lbs.

I like to buy American made, but when the Blackhawk / Armstrong version is

$200 and all the old USA names (Craftsman, Stanley, Husky, and Kobalt)

are all Chinese made, why not buy HF.

Those tools all probably came out of the same factory with the HF tool!

To the OP;

I've bought plenty of HF tools over the years, and to date they're all still in use-able condition, except for a pair of pliers that I destroyed. As for the wrenches I got from HF, some of them are definitely showing signs of wear, to the finishes and in some cases some chipping/deformations to the actual tool steel.

My take is that HF tools are good enough for light-to-medium duty work. If you're going to go 'commercial,' and really put said tool through extended, rigorous work, get something of higher quality. But if you're only going to only use the tool a few times a year, under relatively light conditions, an HF tool will do just fine.

I'm a calibration technician. While no one has brought in a HF torque wrench for calibration, customers have brought in numerous micrometers from HF (Pittsburgh brand). Every one of them were out of tolerance.
Tools are one of those things that you get what you pay for.

Jim

I just bought a 36 inch pipe wrench from HF. I figured it was for a one, maybe two time use. It worked great and saved a lot of work all for twenty bucks. I use a lot of their C clamps. They work well. At one time I only wanted to buy higher quality tools from Lowes, Home Depot, and Sears. But most of their stuff is from China. The only thing I will not buy from HF is an American flag. Buying the American flag made in China is wrong.

Just some minor comments on HF torque wrenches and tools...

I have a 1/4" drive, two 3/8" drive*, and one 1/2" drive torque wrenches from HF. None have ever given me problems.
*(I lost one for about a year, and bought a replacement ... only to find the original when I put the replacement away. :rolleyes:)

In contrast, about 5 years ago, I had a major pain of a job that required removing six tapered 1/4"-to-5/16" square socket set screws that were Lock-Tited into a 200+ lb chunk of cast iron. Heat was not an option. I ground a hex key to match (careful to keep it cool), and ruined that thing in a heart beat.
I broke two Stanley 1/4" - 3/8" drive adapters, then two Kobalt, then a Snap-On, then a HF, and twisted (but didn't break) a Craftsman; before just drilling the set screws out and using a few EZ-Outs to get the job done.

This month, I finally got around to addressing the bag of broken tools I've accumulated over the last five years, including those adapters.
The Stanleys were toast. No real warranty.
The Snap-On guy refused to replace anything, since I'm not a regular customer.
Sears says I abused the Craftsman adapter, and refused replacement. (True, but they say that about everything...)
The Kobalt tools were replaced, even though it took 4 managers and the head cashier to eventually call the tool guy and verify that the things were guaranteed for life -- no questions asked.

But the HF adapter? The cashier told me I needed to bring in the rest of the set (apparently I bought a multi-piece set...?). I asked to speak with a manager, whom promptly walked back, grabbed a 4-piece adapter set, handed it to me, and told me to have a nice day.

Some tools are better than others.
And all tool companies suck.
But some handle replacement better than others.

Back