Harbor Freight Torque wrench quality?

p5200

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not, the torque wrenches are decent quality accurate enough, consistent QC, etc. for work on AR rifles? It won't be used on a daily basis in fact, it will be used very little. I don't want to spend for a high dollar one due to lack of use but, I'd like one that I can depend on the readings to be accurate enough for what little AR work I will be doing on my own personal rifles. This is the one I was looking at or, do they have a better quality wrench? Thanks! :) https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-239.html

I have a local Home Depot and a Menard's maybe, they will have something a little more trust worthy. :D

Do you know someone who works in Mfg? Have them check it 10 times on their torque meter. All assembly operations should have on for setting up wrenches.

Items at HF are nearly always "fell off of the back of a truck" quality. Sometimes that is good enough for the task however. ;)

My HF torque wrenches have been working fine for automotive work. Calibration is right on when compared to my old bending beam wrenches. I've considered, but never bought a digi-torque device to check them against.

For me, where HF fails is with their power tools. And I've learned not to expect their breaker bars to hold up to the kind of stress I could put on an old Craftsman or Williams tool.

If you ask me Mac tools are the best.
Craftsmen are still ok, But I've noticed quality dropping.

What seems to break on me more then anything is ratchets, Seems like the replacement is always cheaper looking then the one I brought in.

Last craftsmen I took in was a 3/4 drive, It was pretty old back when the whole thing was chrome including the selector switch.. sad to see it go but it was slipping so I had no choice.

I don't know about Torque wrenches, I need one my self for AR builds.
They can get very expensive for name brand.

HF sales Pittsburgh tools, these actually have a life time warranty.

Honestly? in general for the money they're not that bad, finish is surprisingly good on them for being so cheap, I do think their metal is more on the brittle side though.

The 1/2 drive
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-62431.html
Seems to have fairly decent reviews. It says accuracy is +- 4%
That should be good enough for AR15 especially if you shoot for the middle of the torque range.
@ 55lb torque, you'd only be looking at say a 2 1/4lb shift.

The real question is how long will it retain it's calibration?
Torque wrenches sometimes need re-calibrated, especially if they're dropped.. always store them in a case and put them in a place they wont be banged around.

So I Guess you gotta ask your self, Do you just need one for AR work? or do you also wanna use it for something else like automotive? light vs heavy use.

If heavy use then probably something better.

On the other hand..
These HF torque wrenches are cheap enough you could probably get one just for AR work.

They're listed as 20 on HF and they've got 25% coupon for the 4th.. so walk out with 15+tax.
That's probably what I'll do.

I've bought a lot of tools from HF.
If they don't work I take them back for (I think) 90 days.
Only real problem I had was a paint sprayer that only sprayed a stream.

Took it back no problem.
Give them a try.

Is this wrench for work on a gun? If so, it won't work. The one they show is calibrated 20 lbe plus. For a gun you need one in inch pounds.

99.9 % of Harbor Fright tools are crap --- "."

I have threads in 3 different forums about how crappy they are - and everyone who posts back agrees ;)

Whats the old adage -- "If its important - buy from anyplace but H/F" :D

Irony? Hypocrisy?

The same Pittsburgh torque wrenches that get sold at Harbor Freight were also sold under the Stanley or Project Source names at Lowes for over a decade.
Yet, no one bats an eye at the Stanley version... :rolleyes:

This discussion reminds me of all of the GM imports of the '90s that people loved, because they thought they were really GMs; but the real cars (Suzukis and Deawoos) were universally derided because they were foreign cars. "Your Suzuki sucks, but my Geo Metro is awesome!" ...Sorry dude, same car.

Rag on HF all you want - their tools are generally pretty crappy - but the torque wrenches are plenty good for general automotive work and torquing a few AR barrel nuts.
We've had many discussions about them here, including one something like 6 weeks ago. If you want good information, rather than just a bunch of "Harbor Freight sucks", then look up that recent thread.

Notice how the OP asked if anyone had experience with the torque wrench? Nobody has experience with it, but everybody has an opinion! And we all know about opinions . . .:rolleyes:

As far as Harbor Freight tools, they are not great, but they work pretty well most of the time. And if they don't, there's always the 90-day guarantee.

And how accurate do you need the torque to be, anyway? Most things have a "torque range" so that you can be close and still be within spec.

Ok I have not one but two. One in foot pounds the other in inch pounds. I check them for accuracy at a plant where I work and they have never had an issue. I use them mostly for automotive and small engine repair. They are not Mac tools but I've had them for about 4-5 years now and they have been reliable. I do take care of them. I have had trouble with HF power tools and do not buy any there. PS - the reason I bought the ones from HF was the ones from Sears were not dependable for accuracy.

Last edited:
A half inch drive torque wrench is overkill for gun work....but the smaller they get, the more expensive they are. Who makes a 3/8" or a 1/4" drive torque wrench anyway? I see the small screwdriver style torque wrenches that register in inch/pounds at Midway & Brownells....I may have to splurge.

I have used Harbor Freight tools but I buy them when I need something I will use only a few times; they won't stand up to much use.

Jim

A half inch drive torque wrench is overkill for gun work....but the smaller they get, the more expensive they are. Who makes a 3/8" or a 1/4" drive torque wrench anyway? I see the small screwdriver style torque wrenches that register in inch/pounds at Midway & Brownells....I may have to splurge.
Well I think most AR wrenches are cut for a 1/2 wrench but im sure it varies.
HF also sells 1/4 and 3/8 wrenches

Here's a 3/8's that I think might actually be even better due to it's lower range of 5-80 ft/lbs
https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61276.html

Might need an adapter on some tools to go from 3/8 -> 1/2
Not a big deal although it will set the wrench off from the tool a bit (having the wrench fit as close to the tool is best to avoid binding and slipping out of the socket) but you should be holding the tool end anyway with the other hand to avoid this in the first place.

Notice how the OP asked if anyone had experience with the torque wrench? Nobody has experience with it, but everybody has an opinion! And we all know about opinions . . .:rolleyes:

As far as Harbor Freight tools, they are not great, but they work pretty well most of the time. And if they don't, there's always the 90-day guarantee.

And how accurate do you need the torque to be, anyway? Most things have a "torque range" so that you can be close and still be within spec.
Well he never actually used the world experience but I know what you mean.
He could have just looked at the HF reviews.

The problem with torque wrenches of any mfg is that they can loose their calibration over time.. most mechanic shops.. well the good ones will check on a regular basis and calibrate if needed say once a year

Especially important if you ever drop the wrench, Most of us have no way of testing calibration though, is 50lb's really 50lbs? maybe it's 60,65, or 40.. unless you're very experienced you're probably not gonna be able to tell.

I agree though most of the torque ranges on a ar15 have enough play in them.

Is this wrench for work on a gun? If so, it won't work. The one they show is calibrated 20 lbe plus. For a gun you need one in inch pounds.
Ah you bring up a good point the 1/2 drive that was linked has a 20lb min, that's actually enough for everything but that would put you at the very edge of the muzzles torque range.

as for inch pounds I think the only torque value I ever seen in inch pounds on a ar15 was the gas key, and that wouldn't be done with a torque wrench anyway I wouldn't think.

besides you can convert inch pounds to foot pounds and vise-versa if you need to.

This might actually be a better wrench, same price.
https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61276.html

5-80 ft/lbs which is actually perfect for AR-15 work.
IIRC Barrel nut max is 80lb's and that's the highest torque value of anything on the gun.

I think most AR tools have half inch drive slots don't they? would need a 3/8 -> 1/2 adapter but those don't cost much.

I have the 3\8" version, got it on sale for $ 7.99.

Been working just fine for several years, a few engine and transmission rebuilds, general automotive use, and a couple AR builds.

I have no complaints, especially for the price I paid.

Back