Harbinger Of Things To Come?

Went with a buddy Saturday to Cabelas here in. Buda TX and he picked up a new AR. Once we waited in the line to get ckd out (which took longer btw) he cleared the NICS in under 10 min. And the place had 6 stations to ck out firearms and ALL were in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure that the government would not use an excuse like "The NICS system is overwhelmed" to try and suppress gun ownership

I'm quite sure the current administration WOULD do that, and IS doing that. Their constant push for more and more gun control, along with the our fears that they might actually be successful, created, and have sustained a larger than usual firearms buying market. This has exceeded the system capacity, and the system has not been expanded to compensate.

This may, or may not have been a conspiracy planned before the event, that doesn't matter much, what matters is that it has happened, and does fall in line with their agenda to reduce firearms ownership where ever they can, so they are in no hurry to "fix" things.

They have stated, "never let a crisis go to waste" as a means of furthering their agendas, its not difficult to believe that not only would they gladly accept the slowdown an overloaded system creates, they wouldn't be in a hurry to change that.

I don't know for certain, but I have heard, that currently, due to their being overwhelmed, the appeals process for a (false) denial can take a YEAR now.

Note that this issue (overwhelmed NCIS) never happened under other administrations, which (coincidently?) did not have gun control as one of their stated goals...

I'm quite sure the current administration WOULD do that, and IS doing that.

Note that this issue (overwhelmed NCIS) never happened under other administrations, which (coincidently?) did not have gun control as one of their stated goals...

Never before has any administration been witness to the amount of gun sales that has been going on for the last 8 years. The amount of BG checks in the month of August this year alone was almost 2 million(that's almost 67,000 a day, if you include Sundays), and every other month this year has hit an all time high also meaning another record year for gun sales. Still the majority of BGCs pass within a few minutes. Yet folks want us all to put on our tin-foil hats because the administration is shutting down gun sales......:rolleyes:

Why is it tin foil hat to believe that government officials want to limit your ability to own guns? We've all heard them say it, we've all witnessed instances of attempted gun restrictions and localities all around the country are restricting guns.

I guess there's no good reason that it's a constitutional right. The bill of rights exists because those are the first things government wants to limit. If you had no bill of rights, you'd have no guns. That's not tinfoil.
There are corrupt public employees that attempt to further their beliefs, that's not tinfoil.
There are public employees that commit fraud for self advancement, not tinfoil.
I have battled dishonesty and corruption in every place of employment that I've ever worked.
A public servant causing difficulties on a political matter such as gun sales? Yes, entirely possible in our society.
Corruption at every level is very real, sadly you must include this in your theory of possibilities.

I think that the main reason that gun ownership hasn't been shut down long ago is that there is widespread resistance to gun-control. The 2nd Amendment is often used by the pro-gun faction to help support the cause. But if there weren't such widespread resistance, the 2nd Amendment would be paved over in a hurry. For a long time now, those powers that be, have been gradually shifting position from public service to master of the people. Elimination of personal weapons is important to complete that process. We are already largely reduced to subjects. The harnesses we all wear will be used to further that agenda, and whatever freedoms any of us have left will be further eroded. As older generations pass away, the memory of real freedom passes with them. Those left under the harness will be deceived into believing that they are still free. Free to choose between different brands of beer or not to drink at all; free to prefer the Yankees or the Red Sox or the latest soap opera. Just be back to work on Monday, not too hungover to work. Make no mistake about it, there will be further attempts to eliminate firearms ownership, both overt and under the table. Taxes will be used to make ownership, and use, much more expensive. And license fees. It's a lot cheaper to stay home and get drunk watching football, than to stay sober and go deer hunting. I'm convinced that the Established Order prefers us to get drunk and watch football.

Many wish for a return to the days when no one went to jail because they had a certain plant or powder in their pocket (unless it was stolen property). The days when people who really hurt other people (rape, robbery murder, horse thieving, cattle rustling, etc.,) were, if they survived capture, given a fair trial, and when found guilty, after a suitable wait, (normally the time needed to build the scaffold) were decently hung by the neck until dead, dead, dead.
(got to ease up watching the Westerns channel...:rolleyes:)

One of the big problems with this (besides the fact that the idealized past never existed the way we idealize it) is that whenever anyone brings up various things about the past that we consider good, those who often style themselves as "progressives" bring up all the bad things about the past, and how we cannot, must not, ever, return there.

For some reason I cannot fathom, they are firmly wedded to the belief that if we were to return to things like strict and severe punishment for serious crimes, and the general idea that the law should leave people alone unless they do hurt someone, if we were to try and return to those ideals, we would also HAVE to return to the evils of the past, all the bigotry, intolerance and inequality.

it doesn't seem to matter if you look at the 1850s or the 1950s, if we point out something we think they did right, the other side will point out the greatest evils and injustices of that period, and claim we want to return to those as well. And they usually believe that if some idea from the past was wrong, ALL were just as wrong, somehow not recognizing that it was the "right ones" that got us here today, and gives us the moral compass to decide which of the ones in the past were the wrong ones.

They believe they are right, just as strongly as we believe we are right.

History won't decide who was right. History will just show who wins. IF our side wins, you'll be able to decide for yourself who was right, and when. If their side wins, I think there a strong probability that someone else will decide those things and much else, for you.

Well, I read the email today and it boiled down to this....they said they wanted to try going direct to "Delayed" in order to keep FFLs from having to wait for a response. They said that if they "Delayed" all further reviews that it would give them more time to work on the "Delayed" background checks instead of answering phones or reviewing E-Checks. Their thought was that it would make them more efficient.

I was later told that he had received another email today that said they were going back to business as usual.

Here is the e-mail........

On Saturday, October 22, 2016, the NICS Section will be implementing a temporary processing change. Any transaction requiring review will be automatically placed into delay rather than being transferred to the FBI. Historically, the vast majority of NICS transactions, 76 percent, are provided an immediate response. The remaining are transferred to the FBI for review due to a descriptive match of the potential purchaser with a record in one of the databases searched by the NICS. This is known as the Transfer Process. In a normal NICS operational realm, this real-time transfer process allows the FBI to assess whether the transaction could be given a final status by quickly reviewing the record(s) with which the potential purchaser matched and when possible allows the FFL to receive a response to additional transactions while he/she is still on the phone or actively engaged within the NICS E-Check system. However, due to increasing volume, the FBI staff has not been able to provide the Transfer Process service without negatively impacting FFLs with long wait times. With ever-increasing volume, the FBI continues to look for opportunities to improve efficiency both for internal FBI staff and for FFLs. On high volume days, such as a Saturday, FFLs can often be on hold or in researching mode (for E-Check users) for an extended period of time. Therefore, the FBI would like to try a new approach this Saturday to see if there is benefit to placing transactions immediately into delay once a descriptive match is detected. By doing so, FBI staff may be able to process transactions faster and respond with a determination in a more efficient manner rather than keeping FFLs in a holding/researching status unnecessarily. By not having the Transfer Process in place, all staff can be dedicated to work delayed transactions rather than being scheduled to answer phone calls and review E-Check transactions as part of the Transfer Process. The operational results of this change will be evaluated by the FBI early next week. If indeed benefits are realized for both the FBI and the FFL user community, long term changes may be considered.

I was later told that he had received another email today that said they were going back to business as usual.

OMG!....it's a conspiracy!:rolleyes:

44 AMP said:
For some reason I cannot fathom, they are firmly wedded to the belief that if we were to return to things like strict and severe punishment for serious crimes, and the general idea that the law should leave people alone unless they do hurt someone, if we were to try and return to those ideals, we would also HAVE to return to the evils of the past, all the bigotry, intolerance and inequality.

I'm sure there are some people who actually believe that but I suspect it is largely used as an excuse to mitigate punishment. Why? Because there are people who place the blame on objects instead of people for crimes. So it shouldn't be surprising when someone who is anti-gun is also against stiff punishments against criminals.

OMG!....it's a conspiracy!

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I will say that I do not trust the vast majority of government officials and agencies to do what's in the best interest of the citizens of this country. Apparently YMMV.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I will say that I do not trust the vast majority of government officials and agencies to do what's in the best interest of the citizens of this country. Apparently YMMV.

My mileage indeed does vary. For the most part, I've found that the majority of government officials and agencies do what's best for the majority of folks they are serving. Kinda how it works. Especially with elected officials. If they continue to go against the wishes of those that put them in office, they are soon gone. Still, within all of those, there are a few individuals that abuse their power and look out only for themselves or their friends or put their personal agenda first. That did not seem to be the case here. Funny how folks were jumping on this e-mail as a conspiracy to thwart law abiding citizens from obtaining guns, but as soon as this temporary change went back to where it was, you hear nuttin' but the crickets chirping.

One thing I've learned in the U.S. is there's rampant corruption, fraud, waste and abuse in all levels of government; civilian entities are not exempt either. I have worked in federal, state, military and city employment. I've also worked as a military contractor. I have experienced corruption from Sr. Management all the way down to grunts.
I even experienced official oppression when the city wanted to buy property from me.
My father raised me with work ethic, it was the only thing that mattered to him. Dishonesty and corruption in the workplace are a pet peeve of mine. I will call people out when I catch them.

People automatically assume corruption with snafus such as the one outlined in this thread. Why? Because corruption (which includes using your position to push an agenda) usually ends up being the reason for the problem.

To have the duty to question the government is one of the reasons that makes us uniquely Americans. That's the flag of freedom, questioning government.

That flag of freedom is slipping down the pole now; a person cannot question without being labeled "tin foil hat" "thug" "conspiracy theorist" "paranoid"

Just because the answer was benign, doesn't mean the question should have never been asked.

A good chunk of the population is now trained to lock-step with the party, anyone who questions is a mental defect. Doesn't sound like freedom to me.

I hear all this BS about the millions of BC checks and all those people buying guns. I don’t believe a lot of people are buying those guns.
In an article I read last month in our local government run (democratic) paper they said that of all the guns in America 80% of those guns were owned by less than 1% of the people.
That means that 3 million people own 80 % of the guns. In the article they said that there are over 500 million guns in America. Didn’t say new, old or make a wild A&& guess but 80% of that is 400 million guns.
That comes out to 133 +/- guns that we gun nuts should own.
I want to personally apologize to everyone here at TFL for not being a GOOD gun owner by description of the local paper and not owning the required number.
But I would like to credit myself for owning an obscene amount of ammo.
This same paper described several hundred rounds of 556 and several boxes of 45 acp and “Thousands” of 22 LR as being an obscene amount.
Sorry if I goofed on any of the math, I failed Government Mathematics 999 back in liberal arts school.

I find it funny when people are arrested with arsenals of guns and obscene amount of ammunition when it is a way lower amount than what I own.

Ozzieman said:
I hear all this BS about the millions of BC checks and all those people buying guns. I don’t believe a lot of people are buying those guns.
In an article I read last month in our local government run (democratic) paper they said that of all the guns in America 80% of those guns were owned by less than 1% of the people.
IMHO ALL of the statistical data regarding who owns what percentage of guns in America is suspect in its methodology and accuracy. The problem is that many people who own guns are unlikely to report this fact in a survey, and this also applies to folks on the OTHER side of the political debate, many of whom deal with a shame factor that us "gun guys" don't often worry about. ;)

Even IF you are willing to believe that 80% of the guns are owned by 10%/5%/1% of the American population, that leaves plenty of guns spread out among the other 90-99%!

Also, keep in mind that such stats are primarily parroted by left-wing partisan groups in an effort to convince the faithful that gun owners and/or people who care about gun rights are a vanishingly small minority, whose opinions and influence can therefore be ignored at the polls. We're not and wise politicos don't. :) Don't Believe The Hype.

Last edited:
They want to portray gun owners as socially unacceptable fringe types, so it fits the narrative to make the smallest amount of gun owners the biggest perpetrators of the issue. No one needs A gun so a guy with 133 might be mentally unstable.

We discussed the article (it was originally in a NY paper, the picked up and run by USA Today, and others), at some length, and here's the only IMPORTANT facts at this time...

#1) The "data" about only a tiny percentage of people owning nearly all the guns, was LEAKED from an incomplete study.

#2) That incomplete study GOT the data from an earlier survey conducted by another company.

#3) Here's the really important fact; the survey, on which all this is based was a VOLUNTARY INTERNET SURVEY.

so, only people with internet access, AND who took the survey, were counted. Besides the simple and obvious fact that a LOT of us don't do surveys, lots of folks also LIE to survey takers, either to hide something, or just to screw with them.

SO, other than to make some headlines, and to try and convince politicians not to listen to that "small number of people who own all the guns", the "data" used in those articles is WORTHLESS!!!!!

Quite simply put, it is a lie, that they are claiming as the truth, and using a small internet survey as "proof".

They want to portray gun owners as socially unacceptable fringe types

But rickyrick, we are unacceptable fringe types, we believe in Conservatism.

Yes I also failed liberal arts school.
I just hope no one took me serious about the BS note.

Back