Hang by head or hinds (w/graphic pic)

Hey Scrap,
Finally got to use that Buck Buster tool on a Doe Sat night. It ripped right through. It was the fastest and easiest I've ever gutted a deer. Was able to run right up the middle, crack her sternum open and break the pelvic bone and all her insides came out nice and neat. Don't know what anyone else uses, but I love that tool!

The question reminds me of an old story. Two hunters were encountered in the woods dragging their freshly killed deer back to camp by its tail. When advised that it might be easier to pull by the antlers, as the hair laid towards the tail and it would then not cause drag if they pulled the other way. The hunters responded "but then we'd be pulling it away from our camp".

With this deer, the fact that the circulatory system was open, blood would follow gravity and it made little difference "Heads or Tails".

We always hung them from the hind quarters. Many times, we would field dress and have to leave it in the woods while we went to get the horses (might be overnight). If some coyotes etc. found it, we wouldn't lose the hind quarters, as they were hanging higher.

We were also taught to shoot our deer at the base of the ear (neck shot), kinda makes it hard to hang it by the head when you can cut the head off with a knife and never touch bone!

Been doing it that way forever and it always looks kind of odd when I see someone hang a deer from the head.

AJ

We always hang 'em by the head. If you dont want the tenderoins you can quarter them while they are hanging and never gut the animal. Then throw away the carcass, guts and all.

Hey Evader, that's cool, I gotta look into that one! I still can;t find out what's up with the ez skinner i have, i think they don'r make them anymore :(

Dude, I'm telling you that tool was the best. I'll spare the gorey details for sake of the squemish, but if you want the details let me know and I'll PM ya! It's $40 at Cabelas right now, but well worth the $$$ if you do a lot of gutting. Should have taken pics, lol :D

Back