Hands down best revolvers other than S&W and Ruger?

Greeting's All:

Why not an "old" Colt? Mint condition Pythons, Trooper MK-III's, Officer's Model's, or the inexpensive Lawman series
are still available; even though they may be very difficult
to locate, in a timely manner. Grant it, mint condition Python's demand a premium price; but they are usually well
worth it.:):D Nobody can touch S&W's quality of old; but
there are some newer models that are exceptional. For instance, my 629 Classic has one of the slickest actions
ever found on any S&W, bar none. And heck, it ain't even
a DX model!!! Final point is, there are fine weapons available from most major manufacterer's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

European American Armory has their German made Windicator series which is a decent revolver at a very reasonable price.Only problem is finding one as they are allocated before they're even made it seems like.

One can still find old Colt Troopers fairly cheap, $250 and up. It's really the same gun as a Python without the ventilated sight rib.

Dan Wessons are top quality they sell .357s with swapable barrels. Magnum Research's BFR is a nice piece as well. If you're thinking about a .357 consider a .357sig none of the good auto companies sold us out.
Have a good one.

All my S&W revolvers were previously owned and all but one were from S&W's Bangor-Punta era. The other one is even older. All of these were built by craftsmen who took pride in their work. Most were purchased by me within the last six months probably trade-ins from folks wanting to make a statement regarding S&W politics. Their trash is my treasure :)

If it is not a S&W or Ruger revolver, it will likely not be a first rate revolver. Yes, Taurus has improved but it is still a couple notches below Ruger and S&W. Even among the newer Taurus revolvers, I have seen far too many lemons. Rossis are even lower quality than Taurus in my opinion.

Perhaps an OLDER Colt revolver might be ok? Colt USE TO make good revolvers. The stuff Colt has put out of late has left a lot to be desired. Honestly, if you don't want to get a S&W or Ruger, I think it best that you switch to semi-autos.

Where the heck is the cylinder release?

I looked at the Dan Wesson website and various pictures and I cannot determine what releases the cylinder? Just curious: where is the cylinder release? Also, what kind is it anyway (I prefer push button like on Ruger revolvers). If they are as good as everyone says, I might want to get one.

DW's might be superior to a Ruger or Smith. I have not owned one myself. In my opinion, I think the DW's look kind of chunky and clunky. I will take a S&W every time.
Sling Shot

DW cylinder release...

It's on the crane. If you're right handed, you're supposed to used your left thumb to drag the release downwards, and the same stroke pulls the crane and cylinder out.

From there, you're in perfect position to hold the cylinder in your left hand, tap the ejector rod with your left thumb, while grabbing for rounds or a speedloader with your right hand. This is the "classic technique".

Only problem is that if you have to do a one-handed reload drill, it gets hairy fast :). All one-handed revolver reload drills are funky but the DW version is particularly frantic.

One-handed reloads in combat are rare as hell but do happen. The FBI agent that finished off the last baddie during the Miami 1986 shootout did so after reloading a snubbie with only one fully functional hand.

The DW system that locks the cylinder at the crane has strength advantages. Ruger GP100s lock at the crane via a strange linkage through the cylinder pin/ejector rod, but the crane locking lever isn't quite as beefy as DW practice.

Dunno how relevant that is. Both DW and GP100 lock up at both ends of the cylinder, which is good. On the other hand, so does my old Charter Arms .38snub, late '70s vintage, and I wouldn't say it's as strong :).

Jim

Jim

Back