Hands down best revolvers other than S&W and Ruger?

Dangus

I absolutely will not buy S&W or Ruger weapons, and am not even eager to do so used. What is an adequate replacement?

I hear good things about Taurus, but the word is that they are great but definitely not S&W. Who is? Who may eventually be?

Not Ruger or S & W

If you refuse to buy a Ruger or S & W and are looking for an alternative....IT DOESN'T EXIST!

While S & W caved in to Clinton and Bill Ruger does what he damn well pleases, there is no revolver with their quality.

I guess you will have to buy a Glock.

Colt ???? Fill-in for S&W.... ?

WELL, they have bailed from the fray by ABANDONING the people by just not making CRAP !
A cowards way out, indeed....dewey

One alternative is to buy a USED Smith or Ruger, that way they won't get your money and you will have a good gun.

DAN WESSON

Stronger than both.
More accurate than both, due to ability to set extreame minimum cylinder gap.
Better finish than Ruger (not S&W, though some polishing would fix that).
Better design IMO than both, with interchangable barrels and sights.
Wicked short double-action.
Excellent customer service.

Like I said in another thread there's only one choice out there and that's the fine line of Taurus revolvers. I've had 8 or 9 and only had a minor problem with one. There's really no other competition out there for Taurus. Their're innovative and there's certainly a revolver they have that will suit you're desires. Okay...can't do new S&W's, the same old Ruger's have been around forever, and forget Colt they're not even in the equation. Taurus revolvers offer exceptional value and from MY experience are well made. Best Regards, J. Parker

Without a doubt, the Dan Wesson line. Superb accuracy and will still be tight when others have shot loose. (I speak from experience on this one). Available in most popular calibers and some that are still considered wildcats. Blue and stainless models are available. BB pretty much hit all the features so no need to repeat.
And what better "political" statement to make to the other companies than taking your business elsewhere, while keeping the dollars in the good old USA and helping out a company that is trying to resurrect itself and grow in this increasingly anti-gun environment. The management could have gone into other products but they are trying to make a go of Dan Wesson Arms because they are gun people, (Call their Customer Service if you don't believe me), interested in making first class firearms.
Anyway, off my soapbox, I urge you to give them strong consideration.
Take Care

If limited to double actions your choices are pretty much Taurus or Dan Wesson. Taurus's are much better than before, make quality guns and offer and years subscription to the NRA or a one year renewal for current members when they purchase a new gun.
'Course Dan Wesson has supposedly improved their QT since going back in business. And their QT was good before.

The DWs are damned good stuff...

A friend bought a used smaller-frame .357 DW recently, roughly equivelent to an S&W K-frame (takes the same speedloaders, fr'instance).

Nice little blue 4" barrel gun, although other barrel lengths could be had if he wants. Sweet trigger, too. Only think funky about DWs is the cylinder release location on the crane, but there's good strength reasons for doing that.

The other option is an old used Colt of some sort, esp. a D-frame. Action and lockup tends to be slick and tight, strength is a bit on the weak side compared to some modern guns but accuracy can be excellent. I found an old Colt custom-shop D-Frame 6" barrel target .38Spl at a local gun shop recently, for $550 in almost unfired early-60's era condition, with the single best trigger I've ever felt bar none period :). Tight lockup and gap, too...6" barrel, jeweled hammer and trigger, with a funky little mirror behind the pinned front sight blade. If it's still there when I have some loose loot, it's mine :).

Jim

I'd probably go for ...

a used K or N frame S&W
Dan Wesson
Taurus
a used Ruger

There's not much else out there.

When I said Taurus and DW were your only real choices I had forgotten about the Meduza built by my old friend at Philips & Rodgers.
A quality built unique piece in multi-calibers. A litte more pricey but you'd be the only kid on your block with one.;)

with a funky little mirror behind the pinned front sight blade.

Jim, that must be so the shooter can look at themselves while they are shooting to make sure they are "stylin'".:D

Bill

More accurate than both, due to ability to set extreame minimum cylinder gap.

Though there is a definate advantage to adjusting the gap, accuracy isn't what is normally gained by doing so.

If you want an accuracy gun, the new Dan Wessons are sure to please. The 7445 (445SM) will shoot as good groups with 44Mag ammo as my 44Mags and less than <.5inch groups at 25yrd.

-CAL

get a DW or find a nice python out there. unless you plan on carrying this for duty and having coffee and rain and snow all over it. the Colt will hold up very well. the DW is a great gun but from my experience they fall out of time pretty easily.

Colt was always seen as the Rolls Royce of handguns. Colt spread their dollar around on the gun, pretty equally on the outside finish, and the inside. Smith & Wesson spent their's on the outside, with a great blue job.
It's kind of strange to look at a Colt Trooper Mark III today. Then it was Colt's 'cheap' gun.
Unfortunatly, Colt bailed on us, but I hear their coming back. That's nice because they had the best guns in each class. The best snub--the Detective Special. The best kit gun--the Diamondback. The best service gun--the old Trooper. And of course, the best production gun the Python.

Today S&W---if you hold your nose.

Back