Handling the 45 ACP

My very small belly dancer fiance handled a KZ-45 very well her first time. I don't think she was trying to impress anyone or showing any special devotion to the cartridge.
.45 isn't my favorite calibre either. I don't even own one. But when I shoot with them, they sure don't have excessive recoil.

BigG. Is it at all possible that you are wrong?

Errumma,
I personally think the .45 is about as heavy as I would want to get out of a Semi Auto just because I CANNOT put 8rds in a tight group very quickly not as fast as my Beretta 9mm. I THINK THE PEOPLE THAT LIKE TO SHOOT 3RD BURSTS OUT OF HANDGUN EVERYTIME THEY GO SHOOTING REALISE ITS HARDER TO DO WITH A 45!!!! And they start ranting about how hard the kick is. I've never really been the type thats tries to unload a magazines as fast as I can. And I see that tactical shooting stuff all the time from the guys running around with the hi-cap 9mm.
I haven't ever noticed the difference between a 40 and a 45 I can't understand people that drop to a 40 thinking its any easier on the hands. I Think its in there heads! Case closed! I'd like to blind fold a few of the people that complain about the differences in calibers and see if they really know the difference.
I was no superman when I was little but I was shooting .357's and 44Mags when I was 11. I

About the low bore axis, I don't know where you got that? I don't think the Colt 45 has a low bore axis.

Big G,

I am split in the middle between you and Tamera on this one. I wouldn't consider the Colt .45 to have either a low or high bore axis. It is IMO somewhere in the middle. Glocks OTOH, do have a low bore axis.

My very small belly dancer fiance handled a KZ-45 very well her first time.

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have any pics to prove it? ;)

(not that I'm giving you any grief, but you just had to add the "belly dancer" part to rub it in, eh? :D

krept,

I'll vouch for Shin and the belly dancer. It was my Wilson KZ-45 that she shot. She shot it very very well. Plus George Hill was also there shooting in addition to several others.

Dont post the TellyTubby picture again... I just can't compute those Tubbys...

Yes - Duck Hunt shot that .45 Very Well. No question about that.

If I am wrong - I admit the fact that I was wrong. I have done that on several occasions here. But considering the number of posts and the number I am wrong - I am not wrong very often. I think I may rival Rush Limbaugh in is Correctness %... (That or Belly Size :D ) But when I am wrong - I'll take it on the chin and conceade the point and not play the "Well, thats YOUR OPINION" card.

Come on BigG... say it... say it... You WANT TO SAY IT...
We are waiting for you to say it...

I hate to beat a dead horse, but...I read through this thread and decided to try a little experiment. My wife only shoots about 100 rounds of target wadcutters a year through her SP101. She has small hands and tried several guns including a Glock 19, GP100 Ruger, and Glock 27 before settling on the SP101. She didn't like shooting my Glock 19, as she said after 15 rounds the web of her hand hurt from the "snappy recoil". I acquired a Wilson 1996A2 in .45 ACP a few months back. My wife hadn't shot it yet. Yesterday I took her out to our "range" (actually it is our parking lot) and set up a cardboard box with some 3"x5" note cards staple to it. I showed her how to load and unload the gun, do a press check, and how to work the manual safety (she said she liked the manual safety better than the trigger safety on the Glock). She dry fired the gun 10 times to get used to the 3.5 lb. trigger. I then loaded a magazine with 1 round of 200 gr. LSWC at 850 fps. At 7 yards she put 1 shot dead center in the card. I then loaded up 5 rounds. 3 rounds clustered around the first shot and the next 2 just nicked the edge of the card. She put several more magazines through the gun with the same results. We stopped only because she was getting cold (it was 5 degrees F.) and her arms were getting tired holding the gun out in front of her. She said the recoil she felt was much less than the Glock 19! And the gun actually fit her hand better, she said. Shooting a few magazines does not a shooter make, but there must be something about the 1911 .45 that is easier on those with smaller, weaker hands. Longer recoil impulse, perhaps?

The longer recoil pulse is a big factor. It is a strong recoil - but its stretched out over time.
As I explained in another thread:
The reason is acceleration. Recoil is the Effect of the Cause of acceleration of the bullet mass being pushed over time and the distance of the travel through the barrel. In some guns, such as a hot loaded .357 Magnum Snub Nose for example; the felt recoil is sharp and hard... like a sudden kick from a mule... Punishing! Turns a lot of people off such pocket rockets. The energy is tremendous and the time and distance very short...
Now fire something opposite. A flintlock rifle. Your dealing with more energy actually... but when you touch off that flash pan, you feel and hear the flash... you feel the ball practically rolling down the barrel like a bowling ball as the push of recoil starts to build until there is the erruption at the far end of the barrel and you feel the full recoil... Much more comfortable to shoot than the little .357 magnum because there is more time and distance to accelerate the mass.
Other factors are there as well - weight of the barrel and the fact that the rifle is tucked into your shoulder... I know... but still thats the analogy I'm using....
Same things apply to the .45 out of a government model.
Now, I can fire the same loads out of my Detonics - and the feel is vastly differnet. Shorter barrel. Less Time and Distance make the Detonics feel like your firing a magnum.

I'm still waiting for Big G to conceade the point.

The hard kicking .45?!?! I guess they are refering to the 454 C or something becasue the .45acp is a PUSSYCAT to shoot!

I had my previous girlfriend shooting for her 1st time and I had my 22lr, my Mak (easy shooter) my 9mm and I also was firing my ParaOrdnance P12 .45acp. Once Tricia expended all my 22lr ammo, she wanted to shoot the Mak. Well she went through that ammo quicker then Billy Clinton through a soriority house. She then went to the 9mm. Tricia found the recoil of the 9mm quite harsh and when she fired my P12 (reluctantly at first), she thought that the P12 was the greatest thing since sliced white bread.

She eventually purchased a Glock 30! The .45acp is such a pussycat it is not even funny!

Derek

I feel that I have to comment on this. It seems the original point was that the 1911 series in 45 is hard to train a novice to use well. I disagree. Give someone that has never shot before a loaded Glock, a cocked and locked 1911, a beretta 92 on safe, and a smith and wesson 5906 again on safe. I bet the time required to fire the glock would be the least, followed by the other three. As to getting them to shoot well, I think the 1911 would start to shine before any of the others. For most people it points well, has a good, repeatable trigger, and is plenty accurate. Now, the glock would be close behind, but I think its longer trigger pull will slow down some people's progress. The DA/SA pulls of the smith and Beretta would cause a dramatic slow down in progress. The recoil of the 1911 in 45 is extremly over rated. I often shoot at an indoor range, and have let people shoot my 1911. THose that have never shot a 45 are often amazed that it doesn't kick all that much. If you think the safety system of the 1911 is a problem, clear a gun, get it cocked and locked, and just pick it up with your thumb on the thumb satety. Grip it, and it is now ready to go. Simple, and almost automatic right from the start. There is a reason that the 1911 is still around, it works.

I load 5.0gr of W231 with a 200gr flat nose bullet, and that load is a real pussycat. I find that standard 230gr FMJ is lighter recoiling than the .40S&W 165gr or 180gr loads, at least to me.

Back