Handguns - Long guns : More of ?

More?
By weight, long guns 4:1
By muzzle energy, long guns 9:1
By quantity, handguns 4:1

Why, because I bought what I like.

Long-guns. I may spend more time shooting handguns, but I consider myself a rifleman first and foremost.

Coincidentally, .22LR is my single most numerous chambering in rifles AND handguns. My next acquisition is likely to be another rimfire, which will make my collection 50/50 rimfire/centerfire.

While pistols are fun to shoot, I don’t own any recreational pistols; they are all for concealed carry, so I’m down to just a couple. Basically all my rifles are for some form of recreational use like plinking and hunting.
I owned more rifles before they were all lost in an unfortunate boating accident.

Green L.,

I see you have twice as many long guns as you have handguns. Why? ;)
I also see you've only been at your arsenal collection for only a year... You'll be a real gun crank before you know it at the rate you're going! Good for you! Next, it'll be reloading equipment...unless you've already started down that trail, too. It just gets better all the time. I can't imagine that you don't have a .22rimfire (one of your pistols? rifles?). If not, that's the one you need next (IMO); you'll get lots of advice on that first one here, for sure. I like Ruger .22s.

Happy New Year! Time's a' wastin!' Ya need to go out and get after that next new one!
Just bought them in the order of getting a deal. Been doing studying and getting advice when I can.

Speaking of 22's, I just bought a Ruger 22/45 MarkII

I thought it would be good to have rifles and handguns in the same caliber so I started that. I have rifle and handgun in .22 and 9mm. While the other 2 are 12ga and .410.

A good variety so far.

Started with long guns, then many handguns. The that old Fred Sandford friend, Arthur Itus visited and won't leave, and now it is back to rimfire and low power pistol caliber long guns. I'll be 66 this year and, boy do I wish I'd have taken better care of myself 30 to 40 years ago! Then again, I did have fun!

Green Lantern,

Figured one of your first four had to have a .22 in the mix, and a Ruger besides. Good start, certain sure (IMO, of course)!

Personally, through all my shooting years, I've enjoyed (still do) most any kind of firearm; muzzle loaders (built them, too, tradtional flint and percussion both), B.P.C.R. (2 Shiloh Sharps), shotguns, lever guns, bolt guns, and a few pistols. I also have an original Ballard #4 Perfection rifle in 38-55, which I really need to shoot; poor thing's been sitting in the safe waiting for an outing. I need to make that one a New Year's resolution for shootin.' Been way too long for that one. Cast bullets and black powder only in the Ballard and the Sharps rifles. I reload for all my center-fire rifle stuff, and cast bullets for the B.P.C. rifles, and ball for the muzzleloaders.

Hope you'll be able to get into cartridge reloading as your firearms journey progresses. I believe I enjoy the reloading part just as much as the shooting part...maybe. Ha!

Back