Handguns Calibers at 100 yards?

Our steel challenge has a 6 inch plate at 40 yards, lots of folks don't hit it. when they do, there is often a lot of dancing and whooping that goes on.
100, that's tough, but fun to try, I wouldn't recommend it for a hostage situation.
but why stop at 100? here is Jerry knocking one out at 1,000!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3XwizTqDw

After seeing what guys like Hickok45 and Jerry Miculek can do with a pistol at long ranges one of my favorite things to do while at the range is trying to pop balloons at 100 yards.

Emphasis on the word "trying". :)

My S&W 629 Classic 6" will shoot 5-shot groups between 3½ and 4 inches at 100 yards if I'm shooting well, off a sandbagged rest. Given a broadside shot at a standing whitetail, and with a solid rest, I would shoot out to about 110 yards, where I'm confident I could keep all shots inside a 6" circle. The killing power is there for longer shots, but these are my personal limitations. Offhand, cut that range in half.

handguns at 100 yds

7.62x25 will surprise you. my son used to hit 4 in. cinder block consistantly when we practiced. raised a lot of eyebrows in the rifle crowd

I shoot a 22lr pistol @110 yards frequently. Consistent hits on an 8" swinger with a rest against a fence post.
At 100 yards my 44 mag is more effective but I can hit better with a 357 mag simply because the 357 is easier to shoot(for me anyway).

The toughest part is not being able to see the target; if you haven't adjusted the sights for long distance, the gun is completely obscuring the target.

If the gun is obscuring the target, you are doing it wrong.

Or, at least, not in the most practical manner.

I used to routinely ring the 200yd gone with my Ruger Blackhawk .45 (7.5")
Offhand. One handed.

And I'll do it with any handgun you give me, with some sighter shots (although, maybe not one handed!)

It is a matter of technique, not the cartridge, or even the barrel length, although longer barrels and flatter shooting rounds make it easier. Also the mechanical accuracy of the gun has to be capable of it.

A worn out duty pistol that barely does a 6" group at 50 yds is going to be tough to ring the gong with at 200, but I'll get close, and probably get lucky once or twice. :p

IF YOU can't do a 6" group, the gun and cartridge won't matter much.

Friend challenged me, handed me a Sig .357 Sig (don't recall the model), looked the same as my BDA .45 (Sig P220), but felt much heavier.
10 rnds in the mag. Never shot the gun before. Never shot the .357 Sig round in anything.
#3 was the first hit on the 200yd gong. #6 was a miss (windage) the rest hit. Offhand.

Don't cover the target with the gun. Don't aim ABOVE the target. Hold up the front sight in the notch the right amount (which you will have to learn), with the target on TOP of the front sight.

On my Ruger, with my handload, the sweet spot for 200 is right where the slope of the front sight blade "breaks" Hold that level with the top of the rear sight and you will hit. (drop. Windage, you're on your own! ;))

Every gun/load, and range will be a bit different, but the principle can be applied to all.

One Browning Hi Power I had, the sweet spot for 200 was about an inch back on the slide, rearward of the base of the front sight.

When conditions are just right, EVERYTHING has the power to kill at any range it hits. Making a humane, clean kill on a game animal at long range is another matter entirely.

The toughest part is not being able to see the target; if you haven't adjusted the sights for long distance, the gun is completely obscuring the target.

If the gun is obscuring the target, you are doing it wrong.

Not knowing how much front sight to hold out of the notch, and not being familiar with sighting that way, I was keeping the sights aligned and holding over the target.

Hold up the front sight in the notch the right amount (which you will have to learn),

Exactly. I considered the long-range shooting a stunt. If I thought I was going to have to hit at that distance on demand, then spending some time with the technique would certainly be worthwhile.

It's not a "stunt"...but it is easy, and fun.
Recently, I shot a new to me 1997 Taurus PT92. I mainly shot at the 25yd berm, but looking at the 100yd berm, I noticed a clay pigeon laying there.
I began shooting at it, standing, offhand. I could see close hits in the dirt, and ended up busting it.

I don't know about a chart but, I do know from first hand experience that a 44 mag Super Redhawk, loaded with 21.5 grains of 2400, pushing a 240 grain Gold Dot Hollow point will flatten a whitetail deer at 106 yards. Like a freight train in fact. Bang!!!!! Flop! God Bless

This is a long video that I did a few years back when reviewing a GSG 1911 .22 pistol. It shows the 100 yard capability of that pistol and a .45ACP 1911 as well. I would have a hard time duplicating it today since I rarely practice as much as I did then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRJE87Gd86M

For a hold-over, I was aiming at about chin level.

Sorry for the quality. I was using a the video function of a 35mm digital camera.

Huh?
Wha?
Oh, guess I dozed off there, a bit.
You're back from your long walk?
It's good to get daily exercise.
:)
And nice shooting, by the way.

You're hard on the man g.willikers :D

The vid could use a bit of editing.

Though I looked at the title and I did think gglass was going to walk down there shoot the target from 2 feet away and then walk back and say "See fellas...target shot at 100 yards." I was all prepared for that and a little disappointed when it didn't happen.

Also I couldn't help but be reminded of something my ex said to me..."See me walking away from you. That's the best view of me you're ever going to get again."

Good shooting over iron sights.

tipoc

I've killed 4 deer at 100 yards with my Super Redhawk. The first three were with Randy Garret ammunition, and the last was with my handload, 320gr SSK cast over 22.5 grains of Win. 295 and a CCI LP magnum primer. It has been several years ago. They were all one-shot kills.

tipoc -
The vid could use a bit of editing.

Thanks for the compliment.

I would have edited the video for time's sake, but I didn't want someone to accuse me of doctoring the video to cheat on the target's results. It sounds silly, but I've actually had "cheating" accusations on one of my simple 20-yard videos, on a shot that is pretty easy for most shooters to make.

I was joking some.

It's not easy making a good video. We know that by all the bad ones out there.

Good shooting.

tipoc

I believe military sidearms are typically sighted in at 25 m and are considered to have a maximum effective range of 50 m.

Back