Handgun Urban Legends/Myths/Rumors

ryan3465

Hello everyone!

I've been brainstorming topics for the Handgun Radio podcast that I host weekly on the Firearms Radio Network. I've been thinking of doing an episode on some of the more common handgun myths/urban legends/rumors. I just wanted to query you all here and ask: what is your favorite handgun myth or rumor or what is the one you hear repeated most often?

Thanks!
Ryan

Look on Snopes.com. There are (were) quite a few there.
Personally I like the .22 LR cartridge used as a fuse replacement myth ;)

To Brian: you mean a .45 doesn't really knock the bad guy into a large and conveniently placed plate glass window?! (By the way, I'm honored to see you respond to one of my posts, you're a TFL god in my eyes)

TXAZ: thanks for that suggestion! I forgot all about that .22LR fuse story. Didn't they do that on MythBusters? I can see their thinking, a .22 LR round DOES pretty much resemble one of those old tube type fuses. The result was hilarious however :)

The .357 cracking an engine block story began almost at the time the caliber was introduced. I believe it may have been started by S&W themselves, based on testing they did, and in fact it can happen, even with today's less powerful .357. An engine block wall is not very thick and the old ones were cast iron, so cracking the wall or the water jacket doesn't require much force. And a hit in the valve train will stop any engine pretty quickly. I once did some testing on engine blocks using hot 357's loaded with 125 grain FMJ 9mm bullets. They cracked engine water jackets, broke rocker arms and camshafts, and did carburetors no good at all.

Jim

People often say that Singer made M1 carbines and or M1 garands. Then they might say that Smith Corona made 1911s, etc. Winchester made the 03-A3, etc and when you ask for proof, they say "their grand-daddy/uncle/dad/cousin had one" with no other evidence.

That above might not be the best example because it is so easily disproved.

I personally believe there are many myths surrounding the Python, but really, a lot of it is opinion, so its fine.

Not sure how popular (or possible true this one is ) but once heard of a guy shooting at a range and having an ejected shell strike the primer of a round in an ammo box with enough force to ignite it.

A 357 will crack the engine block of a truck!
Actually, the one I heard more often was that a .44 magnum would go through an engine block! Probably came about the same time the .44 mag became "the most powerful handgun in the world."

I think the biggest myth is that "normal" is that rounds always hit exactly where you want them to, and kill or blow up whatever they hit... Instantly.

That ridiculous, western style street shoot out in "Book of Eli" does a brilliant job of being stupid.

you mean a .45 doesn't really knock the bad guy into a large and conveniently placed plate glass window?
If it's a 10mm, it will make the plate-glass window appear out of thin air directly behind the bad guy. Neat trick of quantum physics.

The .357 cracking an engine block story began almost at the time the caliber was introduced.
I also suspect S&W started it. The .357 was originally marketed as the "Nemesis of Lawbreakers." The early advertisement claimed:

Imagine a gun that takes the "proof" out of bullet-proof vests and glass...that pierces armor plate...that will smash through an automobile's structure.

That's real knock-down power. :rolleyes:

Back