Handgun target distance.

Our pistol range is 25 yards. I can shoot at less distance only if I'm the only one there. I will probably try and see if we can get another built at 10 or 15 yards, we have the room on the property.

I like to practice @ 25 yrds. Then when I shoot @ closer ranges it seems easier.
I'm no expert by any means and consider any shot in the pie plate at 25 yds to be good enough. I practice for hunting & SD and don't care too much for bullseyes. With my old eyes bullseyes try my patience.

I at least want to know where my carry gun hits @25 yards or more. I killed a really unlucky coyote last October at a little over 25 yards with my KP95 Ruger.

Since I hunt with many of my handguns, I generally practice @ 50 yards. I also shoot @ 75 yards. I have no problem hitting a bowlin' pin @ 50 yards with the 1911 and figure anything closer will be just that much easier.

A classmate of mine described hand to hand combat as the max effective range (50yds) of a 1911 pistol.

I normally warm up at 25 yards, shoot some slow fire at 50 yds and then depending what I am training with I will move in or out.

If I'm working with my 357 I will shoot out to 100yds using animal targets. With my 45 or 9mm I will move into the shorter ranges.

I allways like to finish each session by shooting some bowling pins or playing kick the can. It is fun and generally leaves me with a good feeling.

When I was shooting PPC I did all my practicing from 50 yards, everything closer was easy. When I started with the BP our qualification was 50 yards.

Now, it depends on the type of practice, usually from 15-25 yards.

distance of engagement

I have .22 conversion units for most of my auto pistols. If I'm shooting a .22 converter, I shoot at a reduced scale target at 50 feet. Usually I use an NRA B-34 target (which is the 1/2 scale version of the B-27 like they use in PPC matches) but I also sometimes shoot on the B-29 (1/3rd scale B-27), or a TQ-16 (1/3rd scale TQ-15) or TQ-20 (1/3rd scale TQ)

When I'm shooting the bigger guns, I use full size targets. The NRA B-18 (like the Army & Air Force used for handgun qual with the M1911A1 and S&W 15), or the NRA TQ-15. Sometimes I shoot on the full sized B-27 target if I'm practicing for a PPC match. I have shot on B-21 and TQ-19 targets too.

Sometimes I use NRA B-24 targets, which are a reduced version of the B-18.

Most often when shooting larger caliber handguns I use IPSC or IDPA cardboard silhouettes. I can usually get some slightly shot up ones left over from a match, glue a little scrap cardboard on the back to repair the center scoring zone, and shoot on them for another 60 to 100 rounds.

I practice routinely out to 25 yards. A couple times a summer I do a little shooting at 50 yards.

With rifle, with the AR-15 I usually practice out to 100 yards. When shooting the S&W M&P AR-15/22 I shoot on reduced targets at 50 feet.

Usually shoot at 7-25 yards (pistol range). I usually start at 7, then move to 15 and then to 25. I'd like to shoot up to 50 but I would have to move to the rifle range area. I'm pretty sure it's allowed. Just have to go there one day.

I mostly practice at 50ft but the ranges include 25', 50', 75' (25yds), 100' occasionally, and 150' (50 yds) whenever I get to Bill's Gun Shop with there nice long lanes.

Pop cans at 25 yds is one of my favorites. :D

25-60ft and regularly shoot steel at 100 plus. hit a 1x1ft plate at 200 yards the other week but it took a 10rd mag. 22/45 ruger. R

From powder burn distance to 100 yards. Saturday it took 3 feeler shots with my Sig P250 subcompact 9mm to get the hold over down for the 100 yard range. I then hit five one gallon jugs of water after that.

There were a few jaws on the ground at the rifle range.:D

Well, it depends....

Self defense guns including pocket carry SW Bodyguard 380, SW Model 10, Ruger GP100 start at 15 feet, rapid fire for a few rounds and then concentrate mostly on targets at 21 feet, with a slower rate of fire, double action.

With my CZ75 compact I prefer to practice rapid fire at 21 feet aiming for COM on a silouhette target.

My SW1911 is fine for 25 yard targets, even shooting off hand.

My Ruger Super Redhawk, 44 mag and ported has a Bushnell Elite series 3200 scope on it - am planning my next trip to the range soon and will try Keith Semi-Wadcutters - the goal is groups in a 4" circle at 50 yards

Start at 50yds. and work out to 220yds. At 50yds. I use a 8" target. At 100yds on out I shoot at 9 gal. propane tanks.

I shoot:
S&W Mdl. 10 (4" Hvy. Bbl.)
S&W Mdl. 19 (6" Bbl.)
S&W Mdl. 29 (6' Bbl.)
Colt 1911A1 Government
Colt 1911 Officer
Ruger Security-Six (6" Bbl.)
Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag.(6" Bbl.)
Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag. (6" Bbl.)

targets

One of the ranges I frequent is indoors and the light is shadowy and weird. I'm getting old and I have a hard time seeing the front sight if it's a tiny little front sight like on my Chief Special or Walther PPK.

If I'm at that range, and shooting those guns, I use buff colored targets so the front sight shows up better. IPSC or IDPA silhouettes or the NRA TQ-15 and TQ-16 targets. With those guns most of my practice is at 5-7-10 yards, with a little bit at the 15 yard line.

Back