Handgun storage racks

Sisco

I'm trying to build racks to store my handguns on narrow shelves in my gun cabinet. Been racking my brain all morning but every design I've come up with had a fault or two.
Any suggestions / photos would be appreciated!

For narrow shelves, I've seen a design where the gun sits butt forward and down and leans in a slot with the barrel sticking straight up. It only takes a couple of inches wide and 5-6" deep for each gun. It should be pretty easy to build such a rack...

I am collaborating with a friend of mine who can actually BUILD things about this same project. When I get anything to share, I'll let y'all know. Rg, I feel your pain.

Rangegod, dont you think thats a bit dangerous to have so many guns in your house? Shame on you.

I think you should just hand them over to me for safe keeping......

:D

Rangegod
It makes me cringe to see all those pistolas jammmed together like that! Reminds me of a local shop, where everytime you ask to see one of them you can see where they have "jammed" them in the allotted space like they were packing a suitcase. I bet 90% of the scratches occur from their handling.:confused:

Just to elaborate on Blunder's suggestion - I think the racks you want are called "Lid Racks" or something like that - they are made for holding pot lids. I had to check a few stores to find them (look for someplace with a bunch of different types of racks made of heavy wire coated with white plastic). Anyway, I've been using a couple of these in my safe for quite awhile and they work well.

Doug

Think I got it. The dishwasher rack things were too big, came up with this for now (until I get a bigger safe, comon' Santa!)
Covered the inside of the door with carpet, put shrink tubing over the peg hooks.

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 445
I bought some racks from Clark Guns & Personal Safety in Shreveport, LA (tel. 318-742-7230) when I bought my safe there. The plastic ones hold 4 handguns each, and there's a longer wooden one that holds 8 handguns. However, as my safe began to get too full for comfort, I bought (also from Clark's) a Velcro-fastening system which allows me to put up to 15 handguns suspended on the inside of the safe door. It's made by "Acorn" (whoever they may be), and comes in different widths to handle different sizes of safe. It's by far the easiest and quickest way to store handguns that I've found. Each "door hanging mat" (to make up a label for it!) comes with 5 holsters, which fit almost any handgun, and one can buy more in packs of 5. Worth investigating.

Jesus christ, Rangegod, the envy is so thick here that I can barely move. I can only hope to have a collection like that someday. :D

I saw an interesting rack at the last gunshow. It was basically two boards put together at right angles, one to sit flat on the shelf, and the other ran along the back of the shelf. Inserted in the back board, parallel to the base, were a number of brass mandrels. One simply slipped a handgun barrel over the mandrel. It held the gun upright, with the grip presented. Looked like something that would be easy to make at home. You'd just have to make sure you used brass or some other soft metal (maybe plastic?) for the mandrels to keep from boogering up your crown and barrels.

I made a raised shelf to hold my takedown shotgus. I built a rack across the top, using simple drywall screws covered with rubber fuel hose. There is a raised bridge for the barrels to rest on. With storage behind the muzzles.

The small rack on the next shelf down rotates. Storing a row of handguns upside down and a row on the otherside right side up, with the barrels ovelapping. These to example were built with scrap materials for almost nothing.

Excuse the poor quality of the pic, my digital camera is of indifferent quality and of dubious parentage.

Attachments

• gunsafe02.jpg
    gunsafe02.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 325
Maurader ... Great job. Love all'dem "cowboy" guns too!

SK .. might want to consider putting some electrical (or similar) tape on those hooks ... so they don't start to wear on the trigger guard / gun every time you open the safe door (especially on the blued ones).

Keep the pictures coming!

I used shrink tubing on the hooks but am now rethinking the whole thing.
The Preacherman gave me an idea I'm going to check into, how about one of those shoe holders made to hang on a closet door, the kind with indivudual pockets for each pair of shoes?

I solved this problem by going to an office supply store and purchasing some plastic letter holders, you know the ones that have about eight vertical fins on a plastic base. Works well and protects the firearms from rubbing against anything. Cost was about $8.00 each.

.. or maybe just hanging them on there in their "gun rugs" -- all of mine have tabs on one end or another, depending upon space and number of guns?

Back