handgun sights in a stress situation

Constantine said:
How do you know?

I've been in a stressful situation. Have you?

The vision shrinks to the size of a nickel. Only looking at the target.
In other words, you didn't see your sights in particular situation which you found stressful.

So when you wrote (in post 55):
Constantine said:
You don't use the sights in a stressful situation...
you really meant, and should have written:
I didn't use the sights in a stressful situation...

And so, you really didn't have a good basis to generalize. On the other hand, others have written here about using sights in stressful situations. And some may have more training and practice using their sights than you do.

And some may have more training and practice using their sights than you do.

Or don't...

Meaning, different kinds of training. One is always a student doesn't know it all. Not even you.

EDIT: They're various people I've shared my experiences with in Miami-Dade S.R.T. that use "point shooting" when in defense situations.

In offensive situations, it's much easier to use sights and keep the intended target(s) in your "Peripheral Vision".

You train in point shooting under stress, you'll use point shooting under stress.

Nothing wrong about that.

People who I've encountered that trained to use their sights in training, didn't under stress.

Last edited:
Constantine said:
Meaning, different kinds of training. One is always a student doesn't know it all. Not even you...
Yes, we're always students, but as continuing students we should know better than to make categorical statements based on only our own experiences.

And if you have other support for your opinions, you should lay it out initially, not just when called on it.

Constantine said:
...People who I've encountered that trained to use their sights in training, didn't under stress.
And people I've encountered and trained with, and as also reported by others posting in this thread, have used their sights.

Rifleman1776 said
"I would like to hear from people who have actual experience using their handguns in a high stress situation. "

Yes, we're always students, but as continuing students we should know better than to make categorical statements based on only our own experiences.

Isn't that what you're doing then by opposing my statement?

And people I've encountered and trained with, and as also reported by others posting in this thread, have used their sights.

Okay? I've experienced the opposite. So around and around we go?

Rifleman1776 said
"I would like to hear from people who have actual experience using their handguns in a high stress situation. "

Good point Wyo...

Do you fall under that category Frank?

Constantine said:

Isn't that what you're doing then by opposing my statement?
No, what I was doing was pointing out that your statement in post 55 effectively saying that no one will use sights in a stressful situation is fallacious when just based on your own experience and in light of the use of sights in stressful situations as reported by others in this thread.

So you can agree with me that it's possible for people to not use their sights as well if that's how they're trained, right?

Also... Just to fill my own curiosity. I want to ask again.

Quote:
Rifleman1776 said
Good point Wyo...

Do you fall under that category Frank?

Constantine said:
So you can agree with me that it's possible for people to not use their sights as well if that's how they're trained, right?
Yes, it's possible that people have effectively used their guns under stress without using their sights. It's also possible that people have made a hash of things without using their sights.

And of course, it's possible, with training and practice, to effectively use a flash sight picture under stress.

It's also possible that people have made a hash of things without using their sights.

It's also possible that people have made a hash of things even with using their sights too. So what's the point of pointing out people making a "hash" of things one way and not the other if you're neutral?

No, not in every situation.

At very close range, yes, but when the distance is longer or precision is needed, no.

And yes I know there are master competition shots who don't use their sights but that's a master who has practiced for years and hundreds of thousands of rounds.

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before doing flips...

So you learn the basics first, index and trigger control. And the easiest index is sighted fire.

Deaf

No, not in every situation.

At very close range, yes, but when the distance is longer or precision is needed, no.

That goes without saying.

Aren't we talking bad breath distance here? Isn't it more "Stressful" at that distance? Where you really can't extended your arms out enough to even use your sights. Even when you can (ie: cover or losing distance) it's difficult.

Apples to oranges is being reached now that we're taking this to long distance. You probably shouldn't be shooting your handgun at long distance anyways.

Well, that's not true absolutely. One can dig up examples of necessary long distance shots. For example, the Air Force police guy who took out a shooter with his handgun at a fairly long distance.

It all depends and we should practice using sights and close up retention shooting. Any more to say?

Aren't we talking bad breath distance here?

2 yards? 4 yards? Just what is 'bad breath' distance?

If within 3 yards retention or hip shooting is a definite possibility. But then you might also have a head shot needed due to others being in close proximity.

But this is why every 'system' from 'The Modern Technique' on has a form of hip/retention shooting. Yes even Jeff Cooper saw there were times when unsighted fire was needed. But he just felt it was not that often in real life you needed that.

Deaf

Back