Handgun of the Year?

Matt VDW

What's your pick for Handgun of the Year, 1999? The criteria are that it had to be introduced this year and that it has to be a gun that looks likely to have a lasting impact on the world of handgunning.

I nominate the Steyr M40, since it seems to take the Glock concept to a higher level, and the various S&W titanium snubbies, since they may be seen someday as heralding a new wave of titanium firearms.

This isn't very fun if everyone agrees. :)

Where are the crusty, old traditionalists railing against plastic and titanium and other such modern tomfoolery? I'm waiting for someone to nominate a reproduction break-top revolver!

You guys want the Steyr to win... that over priced Sigma? Whatever tickles your pickle I guess. The gun of the year doesn't necessarily have to be NEW, so I nominate the Sig 229, or the German Walther P-99. Nice Guns.

I'd have nominated the Polymer Kahr if they could ever get the darn thing into production.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited December 08, 1999).]

The titaniums from Smith and Taurus.

------------------
It's not paranoia, they really are out to get me.

SW-99
i like the Walther/ Smith & Wesson mix
(it now seems to be a permanant arrangement)

Besides that, what other gun manufacturer lets you email the CEO from the homepage?

dZ

The Steyr gets my vote. It has taken all the benefits of a Glock and made them better-Steyr makes a better glock than glock.

Since we're discussing the handgun of the year, then, yes, it does have to be new this year. It's like the Oscars: they can't just keep awarding "Best Picture" to "Citizen Kane" year after year.

[This message has been edited by Matt VDW (edited December 08, 1999).]

STEYR M40

------------------
Proud STEYR M SERIES PISTOL Owner
www.GSIfirearms.com
www.smg.steyr.com/english

Handgun designs new to me in '99, voting goes like this:

#1) Browning Hi-Power
#2) H&K P7M8, a very close runner up
#3) Para-Ord P-13 Limited, honorable mention

I'd cast my vote in favor of the Steyr M pistol. I'm planning on getting one as soon as it comes out in 9mm. I like the fact that it was designed by a shooter for a shooter. If they turn out to be half as good as I think they'll be I think it will become my personal favorite. I've held an M40 and the ergonomics and trigger felt great. I own a SIG 229, SIG Pro and a Walther P99(9mm) all of which I enjoy shooting. So far my favorite is the Walther but after seeing all the features the Steyr M has to offer it seems a logical choice.

handgun of the year is a difficult question. But I am going out on a limb here but there is a gun that had everybody buzzing. It may not have the longest life or the biggest name on it. But the new VEKTOR went out on a limb. It is different then anyone of us has seen. besides lazertag guns and whatever you would like to compare it's radical design to. I don't own one nor have i shot one. i have held one and it felt good in my hand. So my vote goes to the VEKTOR.

my 2 cents

OOPS! Me being the MASS_HOLE that I am, I am giving my feed on personal preferance for the century.

A little premature misfire, sorry.

The Walther P-99 for the year.

"Get rid of that Nickel Plated Sissy Pistol and get yourself a Glock" Tommy Lee Jones

Back