handgun jaded?

Personally after owning TONS of handguns I've narrowed it down to what I like and stick with that, I mean sometimes I'll go and buy something to play around with but it never fails that I come back to what I like. Might seem boring, but not really as I've always had a large interest in handguns.

I have a Kel-tec P3AT 380 clipped into my shirt pocket. It has 7 rounds of 90 gr Gold Dot 1100 fps.

There go my needs.

Now my wants....
I bought my first handgun at 37 years ago.
My rate of hoarding handguns is growing exponentially.
First gun to second gun was 15 years.
Now the purchases are much closer together.

I still enjoy trying out something new but I know what will be in my holster every day. I have shot everything from dueling pistols cira 1850 to glocks and the like.

I enjoy all the guns I own; the ones I didn't like, for one reason or another, are gone, including a Taurus .25PLY, a Springer XD-40 and a Smith 637 ... I'm getting a .380 in the next few months for summer pocket carry; that may be the end of my collection ...

I love to shoot a new gun but I don't covet them anymore. I personally like Glocks because they fit my hand (Beretta 92s with big wood stocks work too) and big gripped revolvers. If it won't go bang after 500 rounds without cleaning, I lose all interest.

I have one interesting hand gun...a snub model 66 that is silly accurate. Shocks people to see how easy it is to shot and accurate. Everything else is combat accurate.

Maybe your marksmanship has improved with years of shooting all these different brands and guns, so you can do what you need to do with any gun you pick up. However I think if all guns are the same to you shooting wise just pick the prettiest.

I have to thank u all for so many great replies. There are so many things that play into this topic. When I was young all guns had a safety that were not revolvers and when out hunting with dad, our friends and their grandfather you might have been handed anything to hunt with, and you just adapted to the configurations of the shotgun or rifle you were handed. Years later this has translated to pistols for me. Triggers too. Long double action or crisp single action or da/sa. After thinking about it a while I now consider myself fortunate to have such adaptability. No longer must I always search for the perfect one or look for specific features and never be stuck on one thing where nothing else will do for me.

Understood! I've enjoyed most every gun I've purchased over the years, and have become a fair marksman after 48 years of shooting.

One big caveat was the very well-made and widely sought-after Ruger SP 101 I once owned. Try as I might, that gun made me feel like a first-time shooter every time I took it out to the range. I couldn't hit that barn wall everyone talks about! I'm pretty sure it had more to do with the very tough trigger pull than anything else. Heck, I could shoot circles around the SP 101 with my 1911 .45 or even the tiny Ruger LCP. The good part is that I actually made some money when I finally had enough of the frustration and sold it.:)

I'm going to the range today to test this theory. I recently bought a Springfield Range Officer in 9MM brand new, and a used but pristine Star M30. I will be bringing a Ruger Police Service Six. Results to follow.

I've also run the gamut on different configurations of handguns. Some I could never warm up to, Glocks for example. Some I've been happy with but sold off do to disinterest. Along the way I've learned some things such as, I now consider decockers a better choice for self defense because the D/A trigger seems less likely to accidently go off in a tense moment and I don't care for striker fired guns. Still in all as far as semi's go I'll take a government model for serious target work every time. Just can't break old habits I guess.

I still like and use the guns I grew up with. I don't have much interest in tactical, plastic, etc. This sort of sums it up...

standard.jpg

This is my idea of a "modern" auto pistol. I use it every day.

standard.jpg

Well, as I suspected, I shot the Springfield and the Star about the same. The SA trigger on the Star was light and crisp. At 5 and 10 yards, with a mix of 115 and 124 grain ammo mainly from Fiocchi, 3-5 inches was the norm.

The Springfield functioned flawlessly this time out, but the last time, it failed to lock open after the last shot. This problem went seems to have solved itself. The Star had 4 or 5 FT E'S toward the end of the session.

The Ruger revolver went bang every time I pulled the trigger, but accuracy suffered because the factory grips don't fit my hand well. Hogue or Pachmayr will fix this.

Anyway, I learned that my limited shooting skills can be applied to any gun as an earlier poster had stated. I also learned that more dollars in a price doesn't always mean better. Jaded? No, just content with what I have.

Variety is the spice of life and also handguns. I have been at this long enough to know that taste change. I use to be a trade a gun to get a gun but that stopped years ago when I would buy a gun I previously owned because I missed it. (Never sell a gun in a quest for something new or different)
My current collection (28 handguns) is only growing. My drive is to get very good with all platforms of handguns. This is a never ending journey.

It sometimes helps to take a break from certain style of handgun if you feel you are getting stale with it. A few months away and you will refresh your interest. Appreciate the beauty and design of various handguns and recognize their flaws. Every hand gun is a compromise and far from perfect. There is no one perfect handgun. I can carry a $3k custom one day and a Bodyguard 380 pocket pistol the next and be perfectly happy with the days choice.

I will carry a different handgun for a few months just to keep it fresh and it makes me appreciate things I do and don't like. That may be weight, size, thickness, round count, build quality, sights, etc...
Sometimes go back to your roots and refresh a love of your first style of handgun, perhaps a revolver. Carry a different caliber. Do this enough and you will become very versatile and proficient with first hand knowledge of all handguns. Never stop learning.

Last edited:
Challenge yourself, do some longer range shooting, with some smaller targets. People called Elmer Keith a liar years ago, but the silhouette shooters proved to everyone that long range hangun accuracy is quite attainable.
If your shooting well all of the time, your targets are either too big, or too close - or both.

Back