Handgun Hunting

XTP is the best deer handgun bullet I've ever used. Cast work well if the right shape BUT, I don't see a lot of cast bullet designs for autos that I would use for hunting. Most SWC for autos are a truncated cone, and not like a SWC for a revolver.

Some states have minimum barrel lengths. Your 4" would not be legal in Ohio.

44 AMP said it and I say it all the time: Bullet placement is of utmost importance. Back when I shot silhouette and we had a standing class, very few shooters could demonstrate capable ability at 25yds and beyond. These were shooters who showed up for matches every month and practiced sometime during the week. When I shot Team Challenge and there was a precision event, most shooters couldn't finish the event at the 35yd targets. If you can't put a nine inch paper plate target up at 25yds and keep all your shots in it standing, you shouldn't be hunting deer with a handgun. Sadly, most can't. Hunting deer with a TC or other single shot may be OK if you're shooting with sticks or a rest and can keep your bullets on target at 25yds or 50yds with these types of guns, but even here, a lot of handgun hunters can't do it. They buy the gun and then don't practice with it. If you want to hunt with a handgun just do the shooting test and you'll know if you're capable or not. Might not be what you want to hear but it's the truth.

I use a 44mag and feed it with premium ammo , either Barnes all copper or Swift A-frame .That gets you penetration and expansion -- hard to beat !:)

Back