Handgun Hunters?

Love it

Have taken two deer with a handgun so far. One with a 44 SBH and the other with a KGP-141. Both within 30 yards and dropped quickly. I think it really adds to the deer hunting experience.
On a side note-do those Walker game ears really work?? Kind of noticed the ringing this year using the 357 and would like to find a reasonable alternative for my ears when handgun hunting.
Thanks

Other than the weight, I'm pleased with 7 1/2" SBH in .454. Buddy put a scope on his, but I've stayed with irons.

Great versatility. Last Sunday morning I had it loaded with two 240-grain XTPs (box sez 2000 fps!), two .45 300-grain cast handloads (around 1250 fps) and two 250-grain Black Hills "cowboy loads" (around 720 fps). After waiting unsuccessflly on Bambi's Granddaddy for a couple of hours and needing to go meet some guys at camp to go chase qualie birds, Mr. Big Crow landed in a tree right in front of my pop-up blind.

It was not a safe shot due to height, but I casually rolled the cylinder around to be keyed up for the first cowboy load "just in case". Then Mr. Big Crow decided to go to the ground. :D Centerpunched him at 28 yards. A "confidence builder" if nothing else. ;)

Also got a Glock 29 (compact 10mm) for "light packing" days, but all I've shot with it thus far is paper and one rattler.

C01, regarding hearing protection, I usually try to keep a pair of the foam plugs (on the stiff wire or string) around my neck to put in place when time. Sometimes I've carried big Peltor electronic muffs to the blind, but have yet to need. And they interfered with sleepin'. :)

Our deer season just ended Sunday but I have a few questions for you handgun hunters. I did go deer hunting all week with my .454 Casull but didnt see a thing. This was my first year as a handgun hunter so I learned a few things. I got a bandolier style holster which worked out really nice, was great not carrying around a shotgun the whole time. What I'm wondering is what type of hearing protection do you guys use when hunting? I shot my 454 once without ear plugs while target shooting and I'm determined NEVER to do that again. So when I went hunting I had the foam ear plugs, ofcourse you cant hear much with them in. Are the electronic ear plugs that drown out loud sounds good for this? I see some of the electronic ear plugs can even help amplify sounds, which would make hearing oncoming game easier. Also, whats a good cold weather glove to wear when handgun hunting? I found a nice combination of the mittens that you can fold back to reveal a fingerless type glove with my lightweight camo gloves underneath them. that way when waiting I could have the mitten part covered my fingers and when something came along I could flip it down and have good feel on the trigger.

I carry my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag with 6 1/2" barrel, stainless, in the hopes of one day taking big game with it... also my carry peice for mountain lion.

So far all I've taken with it is Ruffed Grouse - accurate enough for head shots only at 30 ft or less. :D

This spring I purchased a S&W model 629 .44 magnum with a 6 1/2' power port brl. I love the hogue grip on the large frame revolver. I also purchased a Burris 2 power pistol scope for it. Buris has to make one of the best pistol scopes ever (in my opinion). This is one gun I will never sell. It is fun to shoot the down loaded 44spl. and 44 mag cowboy loads and for hunting the 240XTP shells preformed well.

Resized S&W629.JPG

Shooter11

Last edited:
Only got two deer with a pistol, both using my Freedom Arms .454. First one was with 250 grain Hornady hollowpoints going about 1700 fps, the one this season was with 335 grain hardcasts. (don't know the velocity. Aughta be somewhere around 1500-1600 with those)

Got some squirrels with dad's Ruger single-six .22s.

Kilt a couple hundred raccoons and possums with a pistola now, though. Most of 'em were with either a Witness .45 ACP or Kimber .45 ACP. Also a few with the .454 and .22 mentioned above, but I won't use the .22 on 'em anymore.

Mine is a stainless Dan Wesson .41 mag cause its the only handgun I got. Last year I shot with red dot and shot a deer. This year I shot iron sights and took 2 year with it.
I really want a stainless ruger 44 mag with 7.5 barrel though. Anybody wanna trade?

Back