handgun for whitetail deer

Bob,
Your pictures on your website are putting me into handgun deer hunting overload mode. Looks like your crew did very well.

Robert,
Thanks for the info. I'll check the website and at the next gun show.

Terry

Thanks TLT, we are having a terrific time hunting them with handguns. It is far more rewarding taking a deer with a pistol. You have to get in his livingroom with him. Mine was 30' away and I was on ground. I cocked the Redhawk and his eyes almost popped out. He had the funniest oh sh*t look on his face.
All of the deer were taken with our own handloads.

I've hunted close to 30 years here in Ohio for deer. The first 20 or so with a shotgun and the last 6 or 7 years with a pistol. I enjoy using both but I have to say that my pistols have been my favorite.

My first deer with a pistol was taken less than 15 yards away. I was using a .357 colt python with open sights. I then moved on to a .44 mag. S&W 629 with open sights. I currently use a T/C contender with a .44 mag barrel or a .357 maximum barrel, both scoped barrels. My favorite is still the .44 mag. just because of the pure power that can be achieved from the T/C. My longest shot was with the T/C and was stepped off at 95 yards. He stopped broadside to me and I had a good rest. I placed the shot just behind the shoulder. He ran about 20 yards to the top of the hill and collapsed.

Well, that was my experiences for what it was worth. Now for your questions. The caliber depends greatly on what you're capable of handling and what type of gun you plan on shooting. Probably the most popular calibers here in Ohio are .44 mag, .41 mag. and the .357 mag. and a few still shoot the .357 maximum. Although to shoot the last one you pretty much have to reload your own. I'm not even sure they still sell that round commercially anymore. If recoil is an issue with you then stay with the less powerful rounds. You can take a deer just as easily with a .357 as you can with a .44 mag. The only difference would be shot placement and bullet deflection. A lighter bullet can be deflected easier than a heavier one in heavy cover.

As for scoped or open sights. I have hunted with both and prefer the scoped gun. The pro's to a scope are. Easier to place the shot where you want it. Easier to see what you are shooting at. The last reason is that it also forces you to slow down and take your time when you are aiming at your target. You will not be able to aquire the target if it is running with a scoped pistol and place an accurate shot at the same time.

The con's to a scope are. As I stated above aquiring a moving target is one. If you are a stalker or like to walk when you hunt a scope could be a problem. Being out of breath or trying to take a quick shot can and will cause accuracy problems. I prefer to still hunt and wait for them to come to me. Then I have the advantage of taking my time and placing the shot. This type of hunting fits well with a a scoped pistol.

Well the only other thing you will need to decide on is if you want a revolver or a single shot pistol like a T/C. That will be more of a personal preference than anything. The single shots normally give you greater distance but the revolver will give you the capability of a second shot if needed.

Hope this helps and sorry for the long winded post.

I am an bowhunter(Q2 love it)but I allso want to try a handgun I did a lot of researc last fall and went with
a Ruger Vaquero in 45colt just for history purposes,probley not any ones first chois but im not any one.I shoot corbon+P with this bullet I would go face to face with a grizzly bare at 20yd and know I culd get him before he got me .just make sure you do it just like you were useing a bow and as a general rule if it can knock down a man it can knock down a deer just read the recommended range your round shuld be uesed at and thats your max range happy hunting

My current whitetail pistol is a freedom arms .454 casull with a 2x leupold scope. You don't need a handgun this powerful for whitetail but I figure why not. I have killed a deer with a .32 auto before. When hunting with a handgun always go for the shoulder shot if you are using a heavy caliber.

I know this will bring some heated response. One of the largest handgun killed whitetails I've seen was killed with a 4in 22lr Ruger single six shot one handed draw aim fire. It doesn't take much to kill a whitetail.

That said IMO 41mag is the bottom end cause I cann't always get a perfect broadside shot. My personal deer handgun is a 4in 44mag with open sights. My cousin uses a 7.5in Ruger SuperRedhawk with a 2x (might be 4x) scope. He's deadly to 100yds. Has a blackbear and boar with that gun. I hunt where 50yds would be a major feat, he hunts a little more open (farm lands in Mich, me in the mts in Tn). As someone mentioned the single shots add a whole nuther dimension to handgun hunting. FWIW, we handload hard cast bullets to the hottest level with good accuracy. 310gr FPs give total penetration of a whitetail take out the shoulder and give minimal tracking distances (does anyone know why deer always run downhill away from your vehicle?).

We're discussing SPORTING stuff, here.

Friends, I'm at a loss about the last three replies in this topis string.

All three discuss the killing of white tail deer with clearly inadequate and unsporting gear. CAN a deer be killed with a .22 rinfire or a .32? Sure. So what. And, if I were a native American way out in the wilds and my kids were hungry, I would use such, if that was the difference in them having meat or not.

I am heartened to note that all three strate that they, personally, advocate the use of something a LOT more sporting for the deer hunt: .45 Colt, .44 or .41 Magnum.

I must respectfully disagree with the parallel of adequate for man = adequate for deer. In rifles, this could be arguable, the .30 USCarbine and .223 aside. In handguns, define adequate and we can begin the discussion. I've been out and around with nothing but a .32 or .25 for sole armament. Make no mistake: I did NOT consider either adequate
to stop a determined attack by a motivated adversary. Butit make me feel better. I believe in the largest defense piece paractical under the circumstances. But l am convinced that the majority of crooks will give up their attack on me if hit with ANYHING. If he runs away, I have accomplished my end.

The deer is not so cooperative. he doesn't lie down and become venison simply because he is smote a mild blow.

Best regards,
Johnny
MOLON LABE!

Depends on the range and situation. I have had reliable success over the years with an open sighted .44 revolver (S&W M29) and a Contender, also in .44 mag. I hunt from a tree stand and keep ranges close.

FYI, Wisconsin Law:

from the 2000 Huntig Regs:

"Deer and bear may be hunted with handguns which are loaded with .357, .41 and .44 magnum caliber cartidges. Other caliber handguns chambered for commerically-manufactured cartridges which produce a minimum muzzle energy of 1000 foot-pounds are also legal. These handguns must have a minimum barrel length of 5.5 inches, measured from the firing pin with the action closed"

I use a comperitor pistol in 2506 and have killed deer out to 500 yards.
The average distance is around 250 yds.
I have killed 2 at 400 yds and one at a measured 512 yds all one shot kills and of the 15 whitetails that have been handgun kills not one miss.

I don't plan on actually hunting deer or hog with a handgun until I get my Taurus Tracker .41.

I have killed a deer with a .40 S&W, but he had already taken a solid shoulder to rib shot from a .35 Remington. It had just been over 25 minutes, and he didn't know he was dead yet...

The 155-grn XTP I slipped under his jaw from 15 yards (this ammo had chrono'd at avg 1170 fps) put him down instantly. This same shot would have put him down just the same way if it had been the first shot, but I had ideal circumstances: a n almost stationary deer presenting me with a perfect close-range shot in very decent light.

If I'm hungry, I'd much sooner use my .45-70, or one of my 12's, or my laid-away .35 Whelen, or my projected .250/3000, or even my .30 Carbine...

Back