Handgun Durability

here are a couple of real world examples...

My father had several guns, but due to illness, he probably never touched any of them in the last 15years or so of his life.

Colt Govt Model, .45ACP, stored with mag loaded, chamber empty in a dresser drawer. When I cleared the gun, the slide went about 3/4 of the way forward, slooowly, then stopped. Oil sludge.

S&W M28 6" Highway Patrolman. Stored open to the air on a shelf in a closet. Opened, closed, and cycled normally.

Savage 99 stored open in the same closet. Safety on. Oil sludge prevented taking the safety off, and allowing the action to open. WD-40 loosened it up. It was unloaded.

I have my Grandfather's shotgun, an Ithaca 12 ga SXS that he bought new in 1909. The gun has NEVER been detail disassembled and cleaned. IT works flawlessly.

I have an 1897 Norwegian Krag, and 1917 Swede mauser, SMLE and Webley MK VI. all function flawlessly.

springs made a century and more ago can take a set, if stored under tension. Particularly leaf springs. Modern springs don't (if properly made).

Modern springs can even be stored under tension without loss of function. I don't recommend it, but examples have been found where there was no loss of function. Magazines have been found that have been loaded for decades, and functioned properly when used.

What wears springs out is the cycles of compression & relaxation, over time.

A revolver uncocked, is essentially completely "at rest". Absent oil turning to glue over time, and absent anything to cause the metal to corrode, it will last virtually indefinitely.

Unless the gun has been exposed to high humidity like a flood or high heat like a fire, the steel in it should be fine and last a long time.

Jim

Back