handgun carry law in alabama

The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed

Sounds like this is wide open for a "good ole boys" type of decision making process. I like it a whole lot better when the law does not rely on a single person's opinion of who can and who cannot when it comes to firearms. Look at the situation in New Jersey where that was the case with a handicapped man just simply wanting to hunt (http://southernoutdoorlife.com/showthread.php?t=1503) . I have one better than that: Get rid of all the crap that limits anyone from carrying open OR concealed as long as they are a free citizen of the United States and are afforded the rights of the 2nd Amendment. Do you REALLY think a known criminal would open carry? I doubt it.

Yeah, AL pretty much is a may issue state with carry laws crafted to allow the sheriff the right to deny selective groups. Frankly, this type of system is really deplorable. It's not just blacks and other minorities who are getting stuck with this (traditionally that's why the laws were written so) but I've heard several reports of sheriffs of university towns not wanting to issue to students 21 and older. Nice. When my daughter goes to college, I want her to carry when she's 18, and I don't want a sheriff deciding whether her life is worth protecting or not.

It's weird that many orgs (like NRA, etc) represent AL as being pretty much shall issue, but it's really not. I don't get that. I think it's time to start pressuring for a change.

Back