Handgun accuracy?

Sight in most pistols at 25 yards, then chances are they are good to go at less. For full size/ heavy pistols/hunters, then i test back to at least 50 yards. Helps to know the trajectory changes possible. Have several pistols that are accurate enough at 100 yards to have fun with.

When younger, could see well enough to get small groups at 25 yards, not so much anymore.

I find it hard to believe that most handguns are not 1" or better at 25yds.
Capt Rick- posted about a 2" spread at 100yds with factory.
Here is a 100yds from my XVR scoped with a front rest, 300gr XTP.
IMG_20130930_160233_644_zps70e13f53.jpg

The low shot is me not the gun. The other 2 are pretty clearly touching.
If I bring the target in to 25yds I would be pretty sure I could make 5 rnds touch. This is the basic 8-3/8" revolver. Not a PC or anything special.

there is a difference between practical accuracy and rest accuracy.

it is not difficult to lock a handgun in a vice and get it to shoot 1" groups, it is much harder to stand your average shooter in the middle of a field with a gun and ask them to shoot one inch groups at 25 yards.

tahunua001 said:
it is much harder to stand your average shooter in the middle of a field with a gun and ask them to shoot one inch groups at 25 yards.

Especially since a shooter who can shoot 1" unsupported 25 yard groups wouldn't be "average", now, would they? ;)

Besides, I understood the OP to be asking about testing the inherent accuracy of their gun & ammo.

Once upon a time, I used to load about ten different powders and at least three different bullet weights per handgun, seeking that magic combination. And I have a lot of guns so most of my time was spent documenting a box here, a box there until it got to be a time consuming chore. And I shot everything at 25 yards. Now I still have even more guns but I've pared down the variety of powder if not bullet weights, and tend to shoot at 10 yards or less.

Yes, whenever I change something in my loads....powder, primer, bullets....I will load 5 or 6 rounds at minimum, some at the midrange recipe ...and a few at max.....and take them to the range and test them in one of my guns that I know will shoot 1" groups, at 25 yds....

and mostly I'll test them for accuracy at 10 yds....so I don't introduce a lot of shooter error into the session..../ and then pick the recipe I like the best - for accuracy, recoil, etc.....

I find it hard to believe that most handguns are not 1" or better at 25yds.

I don't find it hard to believe, when you consider that "most" handguns includes a significant percentage of both tilt barrel service pistols, and pocket guns, often with poor sights and triggers.

I've got handguns that will do 1" at 25yds, but they don't fit in the "most handguns" category. And the ammo plays more than a bit part, as well.

Personally, 2-2.5" in a major caliber gun is fine with me. 5 shots in one ragged hole in .45 caliber is 2-2.5". Even if the gun and ammo can do better, I can't.

Back