Handgun accuracy?? How determined?

i have always sighted in a handgun by using q two-hand hold and resting the wrists on sandbags. I make sure no part of the gun itself or the grips touches the sandbag(s) or bench.
I'm a "wrists-only" guy, as well. (Or fore-arms...)

When I was about 10 years old, I was shooting a S&W 28 at the bench, and my father saw me resting the butt. After his best attempt at explaining why that's a bad idea, he had me fire a cylinder for my best group. Then he dropped a tube sock-like lead shot bag on the bench, had me rest my wrists on it, and told me to fire a cylinder's worth for my best group on another target.

I learned. ...And have stuck with the 'rest your arms - never the handgun' approach ever since.

I don't do it, but my father did have one exception: Revovler trigger guards. He was fine with resting a revolver trigger guard inside a rifle rest, so long as the forcing cone (barrel-cylinder gap) was in front of the forward edge of the rest. Seemed to work for him...
Edit: For anyone that wants to try it: Watch your finger placement. It's a good way to bust your knuckles - especially with home-made metal rests.

Back