hand to hand self defense anyone?

For our dept. we train about once a year in hand to hand training, that link to SSGT it pretty much like what we do and what I learned in the police academy. I would also look up PPCT. PPCT is all about touch pressure, and pressure points. It teaches you about applying pressure to nerve clusters, and incorporates defensive strikes to nerve clusters also. This system is very effective. And it does not demand that you are in top physical shape or 6'10 220. Anyone with enough practice can master these skills. We use ppct at work when we have too and it works well.

http://paact235.com/courses/courses/37-pressure-points-and-control-tactics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1buPFmSBIhk

S2 Institute....

In central Florida/Tampa area is www.S2institute.com .
They offer a 1 day weapon retention/defense class. You do not need to bring any real firearms.
The S2 cadre includes Jay Pace, a retired sworn LE officer & K9 handler who served in SE Asia; USMC, Scout-Sniper.
S2 teaches the weapon retention seminar 3/4 times a calendar year & it runs around $65.00 USD.

Clyde
PS; Tues is "all you can eat chicken wings" night at the nearby Quaker Steak & Lube. :D

I've wanted to try out Krav Maga for awhile, but between that and the Tavor SAR I just bought, I'm worried people are going to start thinking I'm a closet-Israeli.

Funny I just bought a Jericho 941 and wanted to do Krav Maga. But some of the Goju Ryu stuck....I think? I don't even know anymore.

Wow! I wasn't aware that somebody at 5'11" and 185 pounds couldn't fight! I guess my 5'6" 110 lb self shouldn't even attempt learning!

Facetiousness aside (and no disrespect intended other than good natured ribbing), I've also considered taking up Krav Maga here locally. The other one I've been interested in is Aikido but I'm hearing that has a very long exposure time before you have a practical use with it.

What ThatBeardedGuy said

^^^^^^^^^^^^^What ThatBeardedGuy said^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Situational awareness is my first line of defense.

Standoff defense / offense is the second. I'd rather be out of his range if possible, and have avoided more than one incident that turned out bad for someone else being aware.

If you're that close to the young thug, it's less likely to turn out as well.

40 years ago I'd of happily engaged. Not now.

While someone should learn to 'fight' - I might point out that a 'fist' fight with an unknown assailant might turn into a knife fight. So naive views of a slug fest must be tempered with that realization. The combative courses I took emphasized using techniques that would let you disengage and get distance.

This was demonstrated by the Insights trainers with a large opponent - hey, let's have a slug fest and wrestle -they would turn the tide by gutting or slashing an adversary.

As we say in the Boy Scouts,"Be Prepared".Some of the courses I have taken emphasized that the mind is the real weapon, everything else is a tool. I draw on my military experience and my graduating from TOW school and teaching anti-tank tactics. You can destroy a tank by blowing it up, but you can also defeat it through a firepower or mobility hit. Go for the eyes, the nose, the throat, remember that many ordinary items can be used in self defense. A key ring makes a good improvised brass knuckles, a pen or pencil a good stabber.
And having read-and re-read-Charlie Askins' works, I recall clearly his description of the "belly gun"-"You put it against your enemy's belly and pull the trigger!" I think we tend to overlook that a firearm is just as effective at point blank range as it is farther away.

I'm one of those that is getting too old to fight, and for sure too old to fight young thug(s). I try to watch where I go.

Ditto txray22.

And on being prepared, SIGSHR, who noted
"belly gun"-"You put it against your enemy's belly and pull the trigger!" I think we tend to overlook that a firearm is just as effective at point blank range as it is farther away.

Way to close for me. I'd rather engage with a pistol out of knife range, or preferably from 100+ yards with a scoped instrument from cover.

I read somewhere that something like 80% of all fatal shootings occur at less than 5 feet, so hand to hand combat it is at least 80% of the time.

I've had hand to hand, Judo, riot baton, and bayonet training with the military, and I took ****o Ryu with a local instructor.
I've found the riot baton to be most effective/useful/versatile, a good walking cane will do.

I nominate Deaf as most desired TFL'er to walk down a dark Sunnyside alley in South Houston with.

fight dirty, as dirty as you can. I learned the hard way, it only took a couple of times to learn. I don't look for trouble and try to be aware of what's going on around me. To me there's no such thing as "hand to hand" fighting. I use everything I got or can get my hands on, teeth, (which by the way is extremely effective on ears), fingers in eyes, and the all around favorite, the crotch shot. If 4~5 jump you then run, run really fast.

I nominate Deaf as most desired TFL'er to walk down a dark Sunnyside alley in South Houston with.

I am humbled by your confidence in me TXAZ.

But remember, I'm 58 years old. That can be good and bad.

The good part is the older you get, the dirtier you fight. And I am well trained at dirty fighting.

The bad part is I ain't so fast anymore! I can do splits with my legs facing forward but not sideways. And I hate stretching!

Hence I use my hands, knees, elbows, and Glocks more. Spinning heal kicks are now out of my repertory as for realistic use. I am also a IPSC class 'A' stock pistol, and IDPA expert or above in all categories.

Glocks and S&Ws. You can take on 3 grand masters like Pai Mei (in Kill Bill) and lay them low with a good gun and a steady hand. But with just hands and feet it might be a real hard sell to go against a few Banditos bikers!

The key is keeping your gun handy, eyes open, and staying out of dark alleys. Hands and feet are last ditch defense.

Deaf

I would learn some small stuff first. Aikido, judo, krav maga. Brazilian jujitsu is a waste of time for more than one attacker. Aikido is excellent for weaker people. Same with judo. Krav is more of a brawling art. Steven seagel is a joke when it comes to acting but watch his movies, the aikido is very real. Good luck in your journey to the martial arts.

To me there's no such thing as "hand to hand" fighting. I use everything I got or can get my hands on, teeth, (which by the way is extremely effective on ears), fingers in eyes, and the all around favorite, the crotch shot. If 4~5 jump you then run, run really fast.
The courts must be lenient in America. If you did that here in a bar braw for example you could be up in court for grievous bodily harm. As for martial arts it wouldent do any harm to learn some but I am sure that its not for everyone.

The courts must be lenient in America. If you did that here in a bar braw for example you could be up in court for grievous bodily harm. As for martial arts it wouldent do any harm to learn some but I am sure that its not for everyone.

If you did that sort of thing in the US in just a standard "bar brawl", you'd likely be brought up on charges as well. However, if you're in grave personal danger, you have the right to protect yourself by most means necessary. There's several variables involved in every situation, but basically, if you are the one attacked, you do what you need to do to save yourself and get away.

It's not that a 5'11" cannot fight. It's that typically the 5'6" 110 lb guy isn't the one picking a fight with the 5'11" 185 lb guy. It's the 6'3" 220 lb guy and if he can handle himself he's going to wear down the smaller fighter. You can't teach size, which is why there are weight classes in pretty much all levels of organized fighting.

I've met some 5' 4" 120 lb guys that could tie you up with your own legs and flat out clean your clock, no matter how big you are.

It's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog.

Back