hand to hand self defense anyone?

JERRYS.

not necessarily jeet kun do or anything but basic weapon retention/take-away defense, holds break aways, basic stuff to get somebody off of you and create distance so you can use your gun if possible.

if so, what do you practice, where did you learn it, how often and with whom do you practice?

I'm generally of the opinion that if you let someone get within grappling distance of you, you weren't paying attention.

As far as what to do goes, the groin and eyes remain effective targets for creating space and getting to your tools.

that's all fine and dandy if youre in the desert, but in the rest of the world most of us live in people standing in line to buy movie tickets, groceries and what not are there even when youre paying attention.

That first sentence wasn't a dig at you, by the way. Just that in general, you should be using your senses to avoid allowing a threat to close within grappling distance.

Easier said than done in many environments with lots of people, sure, but at five-ten and 160lbs, I'm not going to survive a fistfight for very long.

Generally, if I'm walking past someone on a sidewalk or something, a slight step out to the edge of the sidewalk and a friendly "How's it going?" are useful ways to determine someone's intent.

A bunch of martial arts.. That's what I do. :-)

I started at age 10 with Judo and Tae Kwon Do. I even competed in high school. After school, when I moved to Los Angeles ( age 22 ), I started practicing Krav Maga. At age 25 I had a serious bike accident, and about 3 years ago, (age 32) I started practicing Yang Style Tai Chi.

I practice Tai Chi every day, all by myself. I'm almost strong enough, to start Krav Maga again; I was probably going to start again in 2014 with it.

For the 7 years after my accident, I was very busy with a bunch of other stuff. Mostly healing.. Long, long journey...

I've wanted to try out Krav Maga for awhile, but between that and the Tavor SAR I just bought, I'm worried people are going to start thinking I'm a closet-Israeli.

It does look like a no-BS approach to unarmed combat and I like that.

psychedelic, I already do this kind of stuff. I was wonder who else might also. I work with other cops who don't do anything to prepare for a physical attack, thinking they can just draw and fire their gun each time.....

I work with other cops who don't do anything to prepare for a physical attack, thinking they can just draw and fire their gun each time.....

That's a poor mindset for them!!

I'm sure there are folk here who study what you are looking for. I guess let us see who else chimes in.

Cheers

I do this mostly: http://www.gossgt.com/ssgt-introduction but ive also done some other less politically correct things.;)

I brought this topic up because I see plenty of draw and fire your gun posts and stuff, but almost nothing for when you get knocked to the ground before you can access your gun et cetera.

I think this is an area most gun carrying folks don't know much about.... many think if you carry a gun youre good to go, with no other defensive plan.

Kyukoshin, taekwondo, jujitsu (sp?) and not even remotely mastered by any means. Ears tear off like velcro, throat, eyes, collar bones break like pencils, and a kick just above the knee. I'm 5'11" 175lb so like another poster I need to end a threat as quick as possible.

Last edited:
I took krav maga for a few months, but the cost and distance slowed me down (yes, relatively weak excuses).

I personally loved it and think it's one of the better styles. The methods are straight forward and efficient--my first class I felt I walked away with a firm grasp on a useful technique.

You need to find one that focuses on practicality over fitness (applies to whatever style you choose). Our school had very meager mats (could work on the concrete if you wished). We focused as much on realism as to the conditions you'd likely encounter as we safely could. Some of my friends thought it was a little too brutal (getting some cuts and scrapes was a real possibility), but I think anything less would've been a disservice if you actually wanted to prepare for an unfortunate event.

jerry, 10/9/13

I have taken a course called ECQC- extreme close-quarters concepts run by an instructor from Mississippi who travels in the US and some foreign countries (Austria, South Africa I believe) giving classes. Take a look at his website at www.shivworks.com. It is geared to protecting and accessing your weapon from 0-3 yards. It is a very physical/real world course where you will get bumped and bruised and you do different force on force training scenarios with Simunition pistols and protective gear. I liked it so much I took it a second time. The course is about one-half LEO, and the other half civilians and some military. The course deals with you being attacked both standing and on the ground and by single or multiple persons. It's lots of fun and very instructive.

best wishes- oldandslow

oldandslow, im familiar (somewhat) with shivworks, its a good training system/class. I thought the lead instructor was from Louisiana not Mississippi... doesn't really matter though, its good stuff, and that's what im talking about... training beyond the draw and fire and thinking your good to go.

Back