Hand gun grip

I saw a video with Jerry Miculek and he stated that when he shoots free style that he will sometimes put his finger around the front of the trigger guard ,especially when he is shooting a smaller gun. He stated he sometimes puts some tape of something around it to help his finger grip. I'd say if you finding it more natural to put your finger around it go ahead, I think along with Miculek you will be in good company. :D

Grits said:
...I'd say if you finding it more natural to put your finger around it go ahead, I think along with Miculek you will be in good company.
That would be fine for the OP as long as he was shooting like Jerry Miculek. As long as he is not shooting that well, he needs to be looking for ways to improve his performance (unless he is satisfied shooting low-left).

Also, I’m skeptical about doing something a certain way because it’s “natural.” Sometimes one's instinctive reaction is not the correct response. In fact, it seems that one element of training and practice is to overcome instinctive reaction and to learn to automatically do instead what is most appropriate.

For example, when driving a car, one's instinctive reaction in the event of a skid is to apply the brakes. We know that is the wrong thing to do; and so, if one is lucky enough to get some training in high speed driving, one learns to stay off the brake, turn into the skid and, under some circumstances, even gently apply some throttle. I remember my first time driving a Formula Ford through Turn 8 at Laguna Seca -- a left-right downhill "S" turn. When hitting the apex of the first half of the turn, you can't see the track. My "instinct" said to back off the throttle. But of course, backing off the throttle under side loading while going downhill is a good way to lose the back end and spin.

Many of the more complex tasks we come to do without conscious thought aren't really instinctive or intuitive; they are, rather, reflexive. They are not natural, innate responses we are born with. Rather, they are habitual responses developed and conditioned by training and practice. It is, after all, natural to defecate in one's pants.

Frank Ettin said:
Also, I’m skeptical about doing something a certain way because it’s “natural.”

I'm also skeptical about a shooting technique that's "correct" just because Jerry Miculek espoused it on a video.

Not taking anything away from his extraordinary skill, but his videos are pretty perfunctory and he does a number of things in a unique way. I've watched a lot of JM vids, and while they're inspirational, I've learned little actual revolvercraft from them.

read a piece on Pax's website a bit ago, 'you will hit your target when the sights are aligned on the target the moment the trigger is pulled'. everything else is secondary to making that happen. if you are hitting your target then everything else is secondary. if you are not hitting your target, then you may benefit from having someone watch you and discern what is causing you to miss. there are a myriad of things that you can do to miss the target, isolating the biggest factor takes some time and expertise.

Dave Spaulding of Handgun Combatives has a nice video on correct grip. YouTube...Dave Spaulding How To Grip A Pistol. nice video 7:57 in length. Great instructor

there are many examples of proper grip but if you are an effective shooter with your grip than you propably dont need to worry about it. howeve, doesnt hurt to try out other methods and see if one works better.

Back