Hand checkering -- and then the gun's "finish"

LOL! Bob, that's all right, as you answered my question; many thanks. :D The rest, I can do, and I think I'll give it a try on one of mine. I'm retired, so no competition from me.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "full depth" metal checkering. There are quite a few LPI cutting tools available to do a very fine job of checkering the front strap, and several of the controls on whatever the owner feels they can handle. 20, 30, 40 and 50 LPI doesn't stray from the norm, as far as what a customer feels they'd like to have. I've never seen anybody use an "engraver" to do metal checkering when better equipment is available to get the job done in much less time, to produce a very reputable outcome. This is 30 LPI, per the customers request:

The extended magazine release was done at 40 LPI.

I just finished a stainless Government model Colt for a client one of the things on the list of things to do was my front strap treatment.
When finished with the frame modifications I done a satin bead blast finish on the frame using 270 glass as a media.
With the high polish on the pins and grip screws along with sharp edges of the slide having a polished appearance from my dehorning technique the gun had a very nice look to it and felt very good in the hand.
When the gentleman came to get the gun, he was extremely pleased and made the comment the gun felt so good in his hand that he did not want to put it down.
There's nothing like customer satisfaction.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

This is my gunsmith buddy John, machine checkering a front strap.
Skip to 11:00 if you want to skip the mill set-up and just want to see the chips fly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivC3XB3zlbI

There is going to have to be some "refinishing" done, because the freshly machined surfaces are not going to match the original surface finish on the gun.

BTW, you can checker or do other things to polymer frames ! I've even carved creatures like ducks into my Benelli stock ! :p ...:rolleyes:

Good video RickB.

I'll say this as I've said it before, Neil Keller of Kustom Ballistics the gentleman that invented the machine checkering fixture being used in the video built a custom Colt 1911 that by far is the nicest custom Colt I've ever seen, bar none.

That did not set well with a couple of big ego smiths on another forum I frequent, the only thing I can say to them is the truth hurts.

I also know what John, the smith in the video is saying, you get to watching all the lines or in my case dots I'm milling you are glad when the job is done.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Back